PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for your fingers.....

Big Muddy
10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
I can't count the number of times my wedding band has been caught of various objects, thru the years.....fortunately, I've been able to react quickly enough to not lose a finger.....however, when I was a kid, I saw a guy jump off a cotton trailer, and his wedding band caught on the top rail.....it ripped the skin completely off, and left nothing but the naked bone exposed.....the doc just cut off the excess bone, sewed up the end, and he was back at work the next day.....so, ya'll be careful out there with your fingers, especially, this time of year, when everyone's working on deer stands, foodplots, and working around chain saws and equipment. ;)

FOX 16 News:

"""A Tennessee mother who felt some pain, after catching her left ring finger on the fence at her son’s T-ball practice said she initially thought her wedding band had cut her skin, but then she looked down and realized that her finger was gone.

“When I hopped down, my finger just didn’t come with me,” Chelsey Brown, of Clarksville, told Fox News.Brown’s husband, Kyle, quickly ripped his shirt off and put it on her hand to stop the bleeding. The two rushed to the car and were met by a nurse who came running from a nearby field.“A nurse from another field came running over to the car and was like ‘I’m a nurse, do you need a First Aid kit?’ and I was like, ‘It’s my finger, it’s gone,’” Brown said. “She was like ‘Where is it?’ and I said ‘It’s still on the gate.’”

Brown’s husband went to retrieve her finger, which was hanging on the fence by her ring, while the nurse used a cell-phone charger to form a makeshift tourniquet to stop the bleeding. They rushed to nearby Tennova Healthcare, where doctors arranged for a Life Flight to take her to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.The injury also tore the tendon attached to the finger clean from Brown's elbow, canceling any hope for reattachment. Doctors told Brown that even if they attempted to reattach it, the finger would die within one day.

“The doctor took one look at it and was like ‘There’s no way I could reattach this. Everything is just so shredded,’” Brown said.

Her recovery has included battling phantom pain, and will require six weeks of physical therapy to help her adapt to the missing finger."""

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2017, 09:23 AM
The mlitary was fastidious in training regarding watches and jewelry during any kind of physical training or work.
i always privately scoffed at that part of it being overly cautious. Stuff like this story really shows you it wasnt.

BkB

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2017, 09:34 AM
That's gonna leave a mark!

DeputyDog
10-06-2017, 09:42 AM
I know a guy that caught his ring on a tractor fender as he was hopping off. He had that same thing happen. They couldn't reattach his finger either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
10-06-2017, 11:04 AM
I did something similar once. I was working at the Caddie dealer in Memphis and was talking with a customer when the lot jockey brought her car to her. She got in the car and I was leaning on the door sill while we finished our conversation. Once we were finished and she was driving off, the lock knob (which was at the top edge of the door in those days) caught my wedding band. It hurt like the dickens, but there was no major injury. The band did break where I'd had it sized, so that may have helped a bit.

One of my mechanics was disconnecting a battery and as he was disconnecting the ground wire, his wedding band contacted the positive battery post. The current went through his wrench and when his ring hit the negative post, it completed the circuit. His ring turned red hot (literally red) instantaneously. His first reaction was to pull his ring off. It not only burned the fingers on his right hand where he grabbed the ring, but where the ring had been, it peeled the skin right off his finger from where the ring was, to the tip of his finger. Nothing but bare meat was left.

I remember in 9th grade shop class we were not allowed to wear any jewelry or loose clothing, for obvious reasons. Our shop teacher told us a story about another teacher he knew, who always wore a neck tie. But he'd tuck it into his shirt when operating shop equipment. He was ripping a board on the table saw once when his tie fell out of his shirt and the blade caught it. He said it not only about broke his neck, but it jerked his head right down to the blade! What's weird is, I can't remember what happened to the guy. I can't remember if the tie ripped and saved him, or if it ate his face off. I have no clue why I don't remember the details ... it sucks getting old. :(

quercus alba
10-06-2017, 11:13 AM
My wedding band is a size 11. My finger is a size 14/15. Not a problem

Captain
10-06-2017, 02:03 PM
I have no problem with that. I don’t wear one unless I wear a suit
which is rare.

Big Muddy
10-06-2017, 02:06 PM
My wedding band is a size 11. My finger is a size 14/15. Not a problem

Dang, boy, you musta put on a few pounds, since you got hitched. ;)

quercus alba
10-06-2017, 02:11 PM
At one time 120 lbs. now only about 70

I'd like to get it down to about 20

johnboy
10-06-2017, 02:13 PM
I was a heavy radar tech in the RCAF way back in the day and it was an absolute rule that NO jewelry of any kind was to be worn on duty. High voltage and wedding rings don't mix well. Still don't wear rings.

Big Muddy
10-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Thump might oughta get rid of his nose, bellybutton, and pecker rings. ;)

airbud7
10-06-2017, 04:26 PM
whats a wedding ring?

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2017, 06:17 PM
whats a wedding ring?

Its an expensive blow job supressor.

BKB

Captain
10-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Its an expensive blow job supressor.

BKB
Actually I have found just the opposite to be the case.

Thumper
10-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Ha! I'm with Cappy on this one! When I wore a wedding ring, I had to fight the wimmins off like flies! (I know that'll bring comments, but I'm serious) I think it presents a challenge to them.