PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, we are SO backwards down here.........

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
LITTLE ROCK — An Arkansas lawmaker is proposing that the state require recipients of state unemployment benefits to pass a drug test.

Republican Sen. Jeremy Hutchinson of Benton on Tuesday filed legislation that would require applicants for unemployment benefits to undergo a drug test. The bill calls for drug testing to be administered to a random group of applicants before the first and thirteenth weekly payments.

Anyone who refuses to take a drug test could not receive unemployment benefits under the proposal.

Similar legislation was filed in the 2011 session, but failed before a Senate committee.

jb
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
All welfare recipients should be subject to random testing, just like a lot of working people are.

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Discriminatory!!!

(World's gone to heck, ain't it?)

FooBang
01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
As good of a soundbite as this is, it ended up costing the state of Florida more than it saved. As a taxpayer, I don't want to artificially subsidize drug-testerers. It's not cost effective.

-Foo

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Would people who have to take the tests be drug testees?

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Yep, they passed that here in Florida a few years back, but (as Foo stated) it ended up costing the state too much money as only a very small percentage actually tested positive. They figured it wasn't worth the expense, so they ended it.

I understand what they're saying ... but come on ... do you REALLY think some crack head is going to go down and take the drug test? The way I see it ... the testing worked! It didn't fail. Now there's nothing to keep the druggies from applying. I'd be willing to bet it actually SAVED the state money when it was in place. Duh!

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I really don't care what the cost is for things that are right.

We easily fund so many things that are wrong. Why not fund what is right? I'm not a money prostitute. I don't care to sell 'right' at any price, and I don't care to fund 'wrong' at any price, either.

Thumper
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm with ya' Bucky.

No wait! Did I really say that??? :eek:

Bwana
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me.

LJ3
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Random testing seems to be a good balance. With the possibility of a drug test over your head, honest people stay honest, occasional users figure it's not worth the risk, and you'll eventually nail the addicts.

You're wecome.

Thumper
01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Why not? Random drug testing worked in the military ... we never knew when it was coming. (Yes, I was EXTREMELY lucky!) ;)

I even used it when I was in the car business. I had a mandatory drug test as a condition of hiring. Once one was on my payroll, I would use random testing only if I suspected an employee had a "problem". Failing meant immediate termination. I've had to endure drug testing for every job I've held since I was 18 years old. EVERY job ... including when I was self-employed! Many companies required a drug test before they'd commit to a contract with me. That also went for any of my employees who set foot on their company property.

But noooooo! To require it for Welfare recipients would be a violation of their civil rights. I don't get it.

BarryBobPosthole
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
IMO, mandatory drug testing of any kind is a violation of a person's civil rights but we know where that argument goes. I've seen three instances in 33 years of working where drug testing was done in connection with an accident in a company vehicle or as part of an investigation into destruction of company property. In all three, the drug found to have been used was alcohol. I did have one experience when I had to tell a person I worked with a long time that his son had failed his drug test and couldn't tell him what he had failed it for (it was coke). that kid eventually got employed here anyway and has been a good employ for about ten years now. I just don't see what it accomplishes. I supposed if you believe that the large majority of people on welfare are drug addicts, then it would make sense. But as has been shown in most states that have enacted this, that hasn't been proven to be true.

It SHOULD be more difficult to get money or food stamps or whatever from the government. But to me, the changes that need to be made were made in the TANF. Since TANF, I don't think welfare is our priority as far as deficit spending is concerned. Welfare recipients have dropped from like 12 million to about 4 million people since.

BKB

Buckrub
01-16-2013, 01:53 PM
If it is, testing my driver's skills before letting me drive is also a violation of my civil rights.

Please list the specific civil rights that are being violated by making the passing of a drug test mandatory prior to receiving government handouts......

I'll wait.

DeputyDog
01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Driving is a privelege not a right. So is having the government provide for your needs while you don't even try to held yourself.