PDA

View Full Version : Rice bran???......

Big Muddy
10-27-2017, 03:50 PM
I've been feeding the deer rice bran, along with corn, for several years, and they love the stuff.....when I first started using the rice bran, it was dirt cheap.....it's just a by-product of the rice milling process, and back then, cost was about $5 bucks for a 50 lb. bag .....now, since it's become so popular here in the south, the rice mills have started slapping pictures of big deer on their bags, and the price has sky-rocketed.....some, as high as $30 bucks a bag.
A young guy about an hour's drive south of me opened a small mill, and is selling it for $10.50 a bag, which is pretty reasonable for today's prices.....if you guys can find rice bran in your area, the deer love the stuff.....it smells sorta like fresh baked bread.

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Does it have any nutritional value if it’s just the bran? Or is it solely an attractant?

We had a horse when I lived in SE Asia as a kid and we fed him “paddy rice” instead of oats or hay which weren’t available. It was basically Unmilled rice. That horse loved him some rice. That, and beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
No, this is not raw rice.....this is milled rice with the hull/husk removed and discarded.....only the bran coating is removed, and the result is a by-product of the milling process.....and, any cereal grain can be milled to render the bran by-product, i.e., wheat, corn, oats, barley, millet, rye, etc.....and yes, lots of horse owners feed rice bran to their horses down here.

In addition to being extremely attractive to deer, it's also quite nutritional with 12% protein-12% fiber-12% fat.

quercus alba
10-27-2017, 04:51 PM
I understand it's very popular with road hunters,

:poke