PDA

View Full Version : Fall for Noticers

BarryBobPosthole
10-30-2017, 10:33 AM
My old man remarked to me when I was just a kid about how the air smelled outside after the first hard frost. It’s the smell of things dying I guess, but his lesson was that its the sign of another cycle. I’m not sure why that stuck with me so much, but I think of him every year when I walk outside in late fall to sniff the air. I miss him.

But at the risk of being sentimental, I do love this time of year.

BKb

Big Muddy
10-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Nothing looks or smells any better than frost-dead pigweed, johnsongrass, nutsedge, and crabgrass. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Nutsedge is the debbil around these parts.

BKb

LJ3
10-30-2017, 11:26 AM
I love that smell too. I never thought of it as a smell of decay but I guess that's what it really is.

Chicken Dinner
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Fall, and that first crisp frosty morning and first evening fire, are my absolute favorites. I've lived where there isn't a fall and I'll not do that again.

BarryBobPosthole
10-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Fall, and that first crisp frosty morning and first evening fire, are my absolute favorites. I've lived where there isn't a fall and I'll not do that again.

Me neither.

Thumper
10-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Maybe, but after Fall for youse dufes, comes Winter! I've lived where there is a winter and I'll not do that again. ;)

Chicken Dinner
10-30-2017, 12:50 PM
TBH, winter is not long enough or hard enough where I live to be of any real consequence. To me, our summers can be way more miserable than our winters.

Thumper
10-30-2017, 12:53 PM
I lived in Massachusetts through a pretty brutal winter and the first thought that came to mind was, "Do people actually live here ON PURPOSE???"

DeputyDog
10-30-2017, 01:49 PM
That probably had more to do with it being Massachusetts than the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
10-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Good point, DD. I recall having similar thoughts every time I drove through that leaky ass tunnel from Logan AP to Boston.

It wasn’t so much the weather in the tunnel as it was the crazy mofos driving through it at light speed.

BKb

johnboy
10-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Had our first real frost here this morning as the start to another beautiful day! Just got back from walking the dog and it is spectacular out there. Sun, no wind, warming up nicely - don't get no better than that for almost Nov. We'll probably pay for it later but that's just the natural pessimist in me talking.