PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Big Skyz
11-02-2017, 05:38 PM
WHOOPS! Little bugger made me catch him twice. ;)
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=76221&d=1509658434

Thumper
11-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Ha! That reminds me of a group of us fishing up on Lesser Slave Lake in Alberta, Canuckia. We had a little contest going to see who could catch the biggest walleye during the trip. Somebody (Bassdog maybe?) caught a really nice one that looked like a potential winner. Johnboy pulled his boat up next to TW's boat so the Dubber could make the official measurements to confirm the win. You guessed it ... ol' Dubber dropped the fish into the drink! Of course, everyone involved had to accuse him of doing it on purpose so he wouldn't lose the #1 position.

I'm sure I have a LOT of those details screwed up or even mixed in with details from other trips up there, but you get the point. Help me out here P-hole ... maybe your old-timers hasn't advanced as far as mine.

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2017, 06:53 PM
That was Bassdog’s ten pounder. I wasn’t there but heard about it. He caught it on Calling. Tee Dub kind of hinted to me later he did it on purpose because Bassdog was acting like he might keep it to mount and Callng was 100% catch and release.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah, our first stop to fish on the way to Lesser Slave. (I have no clue where Birddog came from, I meant Bassdog) So where the "F" were you? I made 3-4 trips up there to fish with the ol' Dubber and Johnboy but my memories kind of run together sometimes. I can't imagine you not being there when Bassdog was there. My memory really sucks these days. :(

That reminds me, whatever happened to the Supreme Dufus (Dave Estenson)? I believe it was the very first trip to Dubber's and I think we met up with him in Minnesota (?). He caught a nice-sized tagged walleye that year.

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2017, 08:53 PM
I only made one trip to Stony Plain and that was You, Bucky, me and Johnboy and Tee Dub. We got titty hooked by the wind on both Calling and Lesser Slave. We did fish some and caught some fish but ended up not spending near as much time fishing as we’d hoped. I think there was beer drank. Or drunk.

I didn’t know Dave had gone up there with you. Tee Dub and I met up with him at Bassdog’s brothers in
minnesota and we spent a lng weekend ice fishing. Dave got disinvited and I got the ld to never invite him there again.
Lets just say he didn’t make a good impression.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Well dang! I’m not sure I ever heard about that. I think that was the trip where T-dub did a swan dive into the coffee table, wasn’t it? The one trip I made with Dave, I don’t really remember any issues to speak of. Maybe that’s why he dropped off the face of the earth all of a sudden after the ice fishing trip.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Yep same trip.
BKB

johnboy
11-03-2017, 02:38 PM
I think boff of youse are showing some 'auld timers' symptoms.:toothy The 'drop the fish in the water' happened on Slave not Calling. It was Bassdogs fish and we had bet TW that we could guesstimate the weight accurately. Since I didn't have a working scale (one that I trusted) we were passing the fish (a nice one BTW) to the Dubber to weigh when he accidentaly-on-purpose dropped it in the drink so he wouldn't have to pay up.

Bassdogs hog was on Calling and that was a NICE fish. Biggest one I'd ever seen out of there up to that point and we'd caught more than a few 6-8 pounders by then. I caught a slightly smaller sister to it a couple of years later and it weighed out to 10.5. Man that lake had some beautiful walleye! I haven't fished there for many years and wonder how many of the big girls are left after they opened it to catch and keep. Not many, I'll bet.

Thumper
11-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Well cool, I was 99.9% sure the “dropped” fish was on Lesser Slave, but the way my memory has acted the last few years, I very seldom argue with anybody who tells me I’m wrong. ;)

But I think all of us will agree, every trip up there was a blast!

P. S. I won’t mention when you lost your buttplug and buried your truck trying to pull that 80,000 pound (or was that kilos?) boat full of water out of the drink! :D

johnboy
11-03-2017, 07:21 PM
The really interesting part of that episode was getting back to the launch in a howling wind with the bilge pump running full blast and the too heavy to get on plane boat slowly filling up with water. What fun!

Thumper
11-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Ha ha ha! The miracle was once we got back to the dock, we looked down and saw the buttplug lying on the bottom. What were the chances of that happening?

Captain
11-04-2017, 05:24 AM
Ha ha ha! The miracle was once we got back to the dock, we looked down and saw the buttplug lying on the bottom. What were the chances of that happening?

Buttplug???? What were y’all doing out there???

P. S. I won’t mention when you lost your buttplug and buried your truck trying to pull that 80,000 pound (or was that kilos?) boat full of water out of the drink! :D

Thumper
11-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Ha! Yep, it’ll go down in history as the day Johnboy lost his butt-plug. :D

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2017, 09:33 AM
The way I remember it is the weeds caught the handle and pulled it out somehow.

And every fisherman worth his salt carries a spare buttplug.

Thumper
11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeppers. The biggest was it was the type plug you insert into the drain hole (from the OUTSIDE), then flip the little lever to tighten and seal the drain. We got into those heavy weeds and we figured they must have caught on the lever and flipped it out, releasing the plug. I remember we tried to use the plug from the livewell, but it was too small. We started filling with water so fast, we couldn’t get that now extremely heavy tub to go fast enough to suck the water back out’a the boat, so we made a beeline to the dock. What I don’t understand is how, while we were trying to get the bathtub on the trailer, we spotted the plug on the bottom of the lake, right next to the dock in about 2-feet of water! One of those WTF? moments.

Luckily, everything eventually worked out okay, no harm, no foul, and afterwards we could make jokes about it and give John a hard time about losing his butt-plug. To make matters worse, John got stuck (totally understandable btw) trying to pull that heavy monster out’ta the lake and the Dubster had to pull the whole rig (truck, trailer and boat, plus enough water to fill a small in-ground pool) out’a the sand with his Jeep. Poor ol’ Johnboy is STILL hearing about that day. I mean, it’s not like any of us to forget about something we can ride someone else about for the next bazillion years! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2017, 01:08 PM
I still to this day laugh out loud at how mad Terry got while trying to back his boat trailer down the ramp to load his boat. He had extra ‘help’ from his spotter. I remember walking over to Thumper and Johnboy and sayong ‘Watch this’. Funniest moment of the entire trip. TeeDub was apoplectic.

BKb

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2017, 01:09 PM
We may have clapped to show our support.
BkB

johnboy
11-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Mea maxima culpa, though I did plan to use a livewell plug as a spare transom plug. Shoulda checked size first. Size DOES matter! :biggrin

Thumper
11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
I still to this day laugh out loud at how mad Terry got while trying to back his boat trailer down the ramp to load his boat. He had extra ‘help’ from his spotter. I remember walking over to Thumper and Johnboy and sayong ‘Watch this’. Funniest moment of the entire trip. TeeDub was apoplectic.

BKb

Ha! With Bucky as your spotter, what could possibly go wrong? :D

Captain
11-04-2017, 08:37 PM
I saw that whole no plug in the boat thing first hand earlier this year in Oklahoma
I knew he should not have had that second piece of toast that morning