PDA

View Full Version : Bergdahl

Arty
11-04-2017, 09:29 PM
A friend of mine, who I met AFTER he and his team went in to try and “rescue” that piece of shit Bergdahl, just posted this. I met Jimmy (James Hatch) through my neighbor, and he is a hell of a guy. Does a lot of good work around the country. He loves my kids, and my youngest is actually in the process of working out something with him to volunteer with his organization. He lost friends, and almost lost his life due to this piece of shit. Jimmy testified during the trial. How he was found not guilty is beyond me. But to think about this is absolutely insane.

Here is what Jimmy just posted.
————————-

There is one piece of the saga of Sgt. Bergdahl that the public has yet to chew on. Back pay. Yes. The US taxpayer with pay Sgt. Bergdal over $100k in "back pay" for walking off his post and volunteering to be a hostage. An Army PFC, Bergdahls rank when he abandoned his crew, made close to $1700.00 a month is basic pay. That doesn't include any other pays, like Combat Pay. Sgt. Bergdahl was promoted twice in captivity. https://lnkd.in/dG7q7XS and was an E-5 in 2011. An E-5 in 2011 made just over $2500.00 per month in basic pay. Again, that doesn't include any other pays like Combat Pay. So just for fun, lets average Sgt. Bergdahl's average monthly pay at $2000.00 during the time he was a voluntary captive. With $2000 x 60 months, the American taxpayer will pay the newly dishonorably discharged former deserter approximately $120,000.00.

Colonel Nance saw fit to fine Sgt. Bergdahl $10,000.00. This leaves you and me and the rest of the US Taxpayers, on the hook for $110,000.00 to a man who voluntarily walked off on the battlefield. This should receive a bit more attention. If you, dear reader, walked off your job and got hurt, would your employer owe you 5 years of backpay? I'd guess not. Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeputyDog
11-04-2017, 10:59 PM
I do not understand how he got away with no jail time.

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2017, 01:38 AM
Everything I’ve heard or seen of military courts is they generally are more strict than civilian especially when it comes to sentencing. Hard labor isn’t uncommon in desertion cases. How this guy got off with what he did makes no sense at all. I won’t judge the judge because I don’t have all the facts he does, but from what we’ve been told of this story, the result makes no sense at all.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-05-2017, 07:01 AM
I read something about he was cooperating and was providing a lot of intelligence on the inner workings of the bad guys. It kind of makes this sound like a plea deal of some sort.

Thumper
11-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Dang! So he was making $2500/mo. base pay 6 years ago?? Sheesh, once I got overseas, I was making a base pay of $134.40! After 4 years of overseas duty and a rank of E-5, I was making a base of $516.30.

I don't know how many extras he was receiving, combat pay at a minimum. I received hazardous duty pay at $55/mo. when I arrived at my post, which climbed to $102.60 by time I left. Since I lived in a small village with the locals, I also received $1.52/day for separate rations (did not eat at the mess hall), which had increased to $2.53/mo. when I left. Since I lived in the village as opposed to an Army barracks, I received $60/mo. for housing which had increased to $102.60/mo. by time I left.

Considering the fact Bergdahl had almost zero out-of-pocket expenses, he was furnished clothing/shoes, housing (including utilities), meals, medical care, along with his salary plus combat pay and who knows what else, he was making pretty decent money.

For the life of me, I can't understand how he continued to climb in rank as a deserter, while in captivity. He should have been busted down to Private the minute he abandoned his post. I don't get it. :pissed

Chicken Dinner
11-05-2017, 10:01 AM
I don’t think it was clear, at least publicly, that he abandoned his post until after he was “rescued”.