PDA

View Full Version : Here I sit on the

quercus alba
11-11-2017, 08:32 AM
opening day of Arkansas deer season in my recliner while it begins to get light outside. I'm going to be headed toward town in a little bit then come back and fix a nice breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy with a cup of coffee. You see, because I thought I'd be living in a different location, I gave up my deer lease. Now I'm still a month or so away from being moved so I'm going to the grocery store instead.

To be honest, since my boys have grown and scattered to the four winds and I don't hunt with a club any more (sitting around a camp spitting and yarning) deer hunting just doesn't carry the appeal it once did. It's become more chore than pleasure. However just for old time sake, I went up to the new house and put out a camera and a pile of corn annnnnnd lookie what I found wandering around in the back yard

BarryBobPosthole
11-11-2017, 08:42 AM
I hardly deer here at all these days either, for much the same reasons.

I’m walking this mornng with my grandson and his cub scout troop in my little town’s veterans day parade. Big fun!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-11-2017, 09:00 AM
I️ still hint pretty hard and my boys are still of an age (14 and 17) where I’m passing along the hunting tradition. But, I️ can definitely see where you guys are coming from. I️ hunted with my older boy on a cold miserable day with 20-30mph gusts where not so much as a squirrel was moving. I️ and wasn’t too disappointed when the Boy said he’d had enough.

I’ll be at my old school deer camp for 4 days next weekend for our Rifle Opener. The tales, whiskey and card playing will likely be way better than the hunting and I’ve hunted long enough and killed enough deer that this is just fine by me.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/1af7753fdcbd278f559a34d570710979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb
11-11-2017, 09:35 AM
About the same here. This will be like my 55th deer opener and if it were not for #3 wanting to go out I'd be home in bed come the 15th.
But this year #1 also expressed an interest and both boys have private land doe tags so it looks like it'll find me in the woods come O' Dark Thirty some morning
It's 17 here this AM with snow on the ground, but rain and 44 for Wednesday, this could make opening day for us a few days later.
So for all youse guys going hunting, good luck, and bag a big one.

Big Muddy
11-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm in the woods, right this moment with my crossbow....my son drove up, last night, and he's about 300 yards from me.....If I never kill another deer for the rest of my life, it's worth it, just to be in the woods with my son and the g'kids.....in my 68 years, I've only missed 2 opening mornings, due to Uncle Sam's invitation.....deer hunting is just a way of life for us.....sorta like breathing. ;)

And, I must be getting soft in my older age.....I just let a yearling loin-on-the-hoof walk right by me at 10 yards.....I just couldn't shoot it, right in front of it's momma.

Gonna post it both ways, so nobody can biatch at me. ;)

Big Muddy
11-11-2017, 10:02 AM
As an aside, does anyone keep a deer journal of your hunts???.....weather, deer observed, number of bucks and does seen, what they're feeding on, and what you killed, etc., etc. ???

DeputyDog
11-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Our gun season opens next Saturday. I'm taking my 15 year old nephew out with me for the first time. Hope to get him one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk