PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the woods tomorrow

jb
11-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Think this will be No. 55 opening weekend for me. For a time I thought I would not make it, the excitement just isn't there (as shared by a number of you in another thread) but #3 has the day off and there just maybe a break in the weather. (Opening day was the 15th, heavy rain and wind, today it was snow squalls and 20 mph winds.)
Tomorrow it'll start out around 18 degrees, light winds and light snow, about perfect.
Can only stay out till early afternoon, but that will be my limit anyway.
Dug out my hunting box, I sure have gathered a lot of cloths over the years, but found what has worked for me in the past, then took the good old 308 out of the safe (which I have not shot in over year) found the box of shells from the last deer I took back in 15 and figured I put the gun away clean, it should shoot about where it use too.
Have a couple of 12 subs backed, candy, apples and thermos of hot coco mixed with a little Baileys for flavor.
So, wish us luck and hope the rest of you can find the time for a day or two in the wood.

BarryBobPosthole
11-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Good luck Jerry! Kill a biggun! And enjoy the nap too!

BKB

DeputyDog
11-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Good luck. Enjoy the time with your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Good luck today, Bubba!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HideHunter
11-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Get a good 'un... ;)

Penguin
11-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Dress warm, that sounds like the kind of weather that makes you antsy on the stand.

Will

Bwana
11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Hope you have a big one come strolling by you sir. Have fun!

jb
11-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Not as bad as the weatherman said, only 24 degrees, no snow and light winds.
Had two doe walk up wind of me only about 20 yards away, #3 had a permit so they were walking toward him, he didn't see them.
He had a young buck come to his blind first thing, but only was a 4 pt. our area requires at least 3 on a side.
Little latter a nice 8 snuck up behind him, got a shot off, but killed a little Beech sapling instead. So we're out of the woods by 11:30 due to other obligations.
Next few days don't look good, more heavy rain and high winds, may have to wait till after Thanksgiving to try it again.
Here's what I look at, as you can see, way to many leaves still on the beech trees, we've had a really different fall this year.

LJ3
11-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Looks like a nice place! That's exactly where you were last year, isn't it?

Captain
11-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Good luck Bubba! Hope you had a good day out.
24 degrees, is have on everything I own and two buddy heaters.