PDA

View Full Version : My Uncle Huck

BarryBobPosthole
12-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Noyce Bruton, my Uncle Huck to me, passed away peacefully last night at age 87. He was the last of my Dad’s brothers and sisters and his wife passed away in the summer, so my first cousins and I were all the family he had left in the world when he died. We did our best for him and I think he died knowing that he was loved and supported.

I can’t think too straight right now, but I knew it was coming. So a while back I looked up something that I wrote here back sometime in the 90’s about him and thanks to Niner it was saved on our site.

BKB

The Fishing Gift
Posthole
The Fishing Gift
By Posthole (Oklahoma)

I imagine you've heard the saying 'Give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can feed his family for a lifetime' or something quite close to that. I really think it should be amended for the 90's to something like 'Give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be divorced and feeding two families in no time'. But anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately about my Uncle Huck, and all the things he did for me when I was a boy.

My Dad had a stroke when he was 23 years old that left him paralyzed, speechless, and pretty much a recluse. I was one at the time. It took him several years to recover to the point where he could read, write, talk, walk, everything, but I'm happy to say that considering his handicap, he's always been as great a Dad as anyone could ever wish for. I'm very proud of him.

My Dad and his three brothers all grew up in rural Arkansas on a large farm that is still today about 10 miles from the nearest paved road. I take my kids there every spring for a week long camping trip and we visit whenever we can. Like most families of that time, the brothers were all avid hunters and fishermen, although most of us would find their methods and zeal for taking game a bit unethical. In the context of the time though, I think they were just a normal bunch. With my Dad laid up and my Mom having to scrape by on a meager Veterans benfits check, my uncles, particularly my Uncle Huck (real name was Noyce, but all of us neices and nephews called him Huck) stepped in to fill the gap and to supply me with all the male father-figures one could ever want in their life. It made for a great childhood, and I'll be eternally grateful for the time they shared with me and the things they taught me.

I guess the first fishing trip of my life was when I was around three years old. I can remember it like it was yesterday. My Uncle Huck and I went perch jerking in the Fourche La Fave river in an old, wooden homemade boat that was built by my great-uncle Buster, a lifelong bachelor who we called The Old Man of the Mountains, which is a complete whole other story. I can remember the big, yellow bellies on the perch, the dark, splotchy colors of the goggle-eyes, and the beautiful colors of the sun perch we caught that day. I must have caught a million of 'em. That experience hooked me for life on fishing, and was the first of many fishing trips that my Uncles Huck and Buster took me on. It wasn't until I was about sixteen that I overheard my Uncle Huck telling the story to my other uncles after supper one night that I finally understood what had happened that day. I had thought I'd caught several fish, but actually I had just caught the same two or three fish over and over and over again. I guess fishing was slow that day and Uncle Huck, wanting and knowing what it would take to get keep me really interested in fishing, would pretend to drop the fish back in the water and say 'Let's wait for a big one'. Only he'd still be attached to my line and in a second or two the fun would begin all over again. It's a cherished memory, and to this day my uncles, all in their seventies now, all get a big laugh out of it at my expense.

When I take my boys to the Fourche and they are flailing away at the water, bitching about the fish not biting, but having the times of their lives, none of it bothers me, because most of the time I'm thinking back on those great days on the Amos hole, the Key hole, or the Long hole with my Uncle Huck.

Chicken Dinner
12-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Sorry for the news. His legacy will live on through you and, from what I’ve seen, your kids and grandkids. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
12-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Condolences, Barry.....it's tough losing those old guys who mentored us in the ways of the woods and water.

Thumper
12-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear that Barry. Just know that he'll live on through your memories. I don't want to hijack this thread, but your story of your first trip reminds me of a similar experience.

WARNING: Thump story

My son was 3 ... or possibly 4 years old (?) when I took him on his first fishing trip (same age you were). We were actually fishing from the bank and I figured we'd catch a few bream or sunfish just to give him a taste of what it's like to fish. I swear, I couldn't BUY him so much as a nibble that day. It was like somebody had netted the whole lake and left it dead! He was so excited trying to catch his first fish, that he had no intention of leaving until he'd caught his monster! It started getting late and I whispered to Lynn, "Slip out'ta here and pick up a fish at the grocery store down the road."

She returned with a nervous look about her, handed me a small package and said, "I'm sorry baby ... but this is ALL they had!"

I glanced into the bag and saw a package containing a FROZEN TROUT! Of course, it was already gutted and cleaned, so he wouldn't be getting any fish cleaning lessons! :hair

I thought about it for a second or two, then realized my boy had NO clue what sort of fish are in the lake anyway, so I had Lynn create a diversion while I pulled his line in and hooked the trout on his hook. I slipped his line back out, laid his pole across his little folding chair and as I kept nudging his chair with my toe, I hollered at him to hurry back because it looked like he was getting a nibble! Another light nudge with my toe and he saw the rod tip jiggle. I swear he was back to his pole in about .0000002 of a second. I told him to set the hook (crossing my fingers he wouldn't rip it's lips off), then reel in his line to see what he'd caught.

Man-o-man, I can't tell you how excited he was to see that fish on his line. The first thing he asked was, "What kind of fish is it Dad?!" I didn't really have time to think of an answer, so I just blurted out, "It's a frozen trout!!!"

It was getting late and since he'd caught a fish, we decided to call it a day and head home. EVERY human between us and the car heard the story about the "frozen trout" he'd just caught. When we got home, he called his mom, grand-mother/father and practically everyone in the Rolodex (yes Rolodex, it was a few years ago!). Then Lynn cleaned it up and cooked it for him for supper. He was so excited I didn't think he'd get any sleep that night!

I heard him tell the story many years after that and I started feeling so guilty, I finally had to admit to him what I'd done. (Of course, the whole family already knew) Ha! I can't believe the similarity of our two stories. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face this morning. :)

BarryBobPosthole
12-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Hidehunter once said that the best advice he’d ever gotten was ‘When your bobber goes under, pull!’. The second I read it, old Unk was the first person I thought of. And I have to agree wholeheartedly!

BKB

Arty
12-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Barry I’m sorry to hear about your uncle. Sounds like the kind of man that is fewer and further between nowadays.

Big Skyz
12-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I think one of the reasons I've stuck around here so many years is because there is such a variety of solid people on this site. I have a lot of respect for Barry and although we don't agree on everything we do agree on what matters most, that being family. Your story about your uncle also included a lot about the rest of your family. It is no surprise to me why I like and respect you. You come from genuine good people. Sorry to hear of your uncle passing but very grateful to learn about him on this post. Your story actually made my day a little better and I was already having a very good day.

Thumper
12-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Ohhhhh Nooooo Sky! Now P-hole's head is gonna swell up 'bout as big as the Goodyear blimp! :slaphead

DeputyDog
12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Sorry for your loss Barry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
12-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear of this Posthole. It sure is tough losing someone as special as this.

Captain
12-04-2017, 06:32 PM
That’s tough duty Posty.
I know from riding around that country how close you are with family and your raisin’
Sorry for your loss.

Trav
12-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear about this Barry, if you need anything I am here for you.

BarryBobPosthole
12-04-2017, 07:29 PM
I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate you people. And that includes those who are here and who aren’t.

Troy, when I was digging around looking for that deal about my uncle, I looked through a bunch of work that Niner did to save all of that for us. It gave me a lump in my throat seeing it. (Speaking of good people and this site)

I’m glad Captain screwed up and got us kicked off of AO!

BKB

Thumper
12-04-2017, 11:21 PM
I’m glad Captain screwed up and got us kicked off of AO! BKB

Ha! And here all these years, I thought it was my "poopie" post that did it. At least that's what Helen told me. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-04-2017, 11:27 PM
It wasn’t the post about the best loads for cats?

BKB

Captain
12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Could have been a combination of them both.
There have been a lot of years between then and now.
Besides I get the blame for everything.

Thumper
12-05-2017, 09:48 AM
I doubt one post had anything to do with it ... we'd been on the ragged edge for quite a while when the A/O brass decided they'd had enough. ;)

BTW .. I talked to Alison after getting the boot and she said the mucky-mucks at A/O won't tolerate it since they were afraid of offending their advertisers. That's one reason when Bucky and Orion wanted to bring aboard a couple of advertisers here, I filed a formal protest. Ironically, A/O is long gone, but we're still plugging along. ;)