PDA

View Full Version : local news with national implications

hotshot
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
A nearby county with 3 school districts is exploring training and arming school staff members. Just over the line in Ohio, the process has already been set in motion.
Also- our local sherriff (Pat's boss), is on the front page of the local paper quoting that gun permit applications are flying out of his office. Best quote in the article: there are already 2300 guns laws on the books we don't need anymore.

I see the recent shootings going back to the Senator shooting out west as a failure of Mental health laws, not gun laws. For example: Apparently Indiana has only 133 beds in its state mental health hospital- according to an article in this week's newspaper. Based on the disfunctional familes that my students are parts of- there could be enough people to fill those beds in my town alone.

Get the mentally ill help, and I bet tragedies like Sandy Hook disappear.

Buckrub
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
And I'd bet my life that they never disappear, no matter what. But if valid steps can be taken, I'm for them.

Heck, if turning in my guns would 100% save ONE kid's life, I'd do it. But it won't.

hotshot
01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I stand corrected. Not disappear, but who knows how many will be averted. And the quality of life for those with mental illness will improve. My comment was geared towards doing actual good coming from the terrible events.