PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

quercus alba
12-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with the wireless dog fences? I'm considering getting one and I wondered how well they work and what happens if the power goes off.

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
My brother lives in the country and has a pet wolf. When it was a pup he installed an in-ground perimeter fence that warns the dog when he gets close and gives his collar a shock when he gets too close. He’s never had that animal stray from his yard and there are times my brother has found the charger unplugged for no telling how long.

I don’t know anybody with a wireless one. I think the trick with any system is teaching them when they are young.

BKB

Arty
12-12-2017, 02:58 PM
We’ve got one. It stays in the camper since we moved off 3 acres and don’t need it anymore (our yard is now fenced)

Our experience was great with it. In fact, our dog once went 3 months with a dead battery in his collar, but he didn’t know that and there was NO WAY he was going to get close enough to “the line” to find out.
The wireless ones are great because you can dial in or out on the unit to make the area as big or small as you want. Collar has a beep only setting as well.

Our dog hasn’t been in that fence for 3 years, but when we camp we plug it in and roll down the range to about a 20 ft circle, to keep him in the campsite.
He will get to the line once, hear the beep, and he’s good for the rest of the time we’re there.

But no power would mean no fence.

We got our dog when he was 3 years old. A few trips around the yard on a leash and he figured it out in no time.

quercus alba
12-12-2017, 03:12 PM
I was told that if the power went out there might be a continuous shock to the dog. Any particular brand you'd recommend?

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2017, 03:37 PM
If it were for a coyote I’d say Acme.
BKB

Arty
12-12-2017, 04:23 PM
No definitely not a continuous shock.

Believe ours is petsafe brand. It’s 7 years old and still working.