PDA

View Full Version : Any Traeger owners here?

Bwana
12-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Just curious if any of you fine folks own one of those fancy Traeger, wood pellet grills?

The reason for asking is that this unlucky Pollack happened to win one along with a bunch of goodies to go with it, so I'm looking for insight from anyone in-the-know when it comes to these fancy-type grills.

Anyone?

Chicken Dinner
12-18-2017, 05:38 PM
I’m a BGE guy myself. I’ve got a buddy who has a pellet grill - not sure if it’s a Target - and can ask him any specific questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav
12-18-2017, 05:43 PM
I have a RecTec pellet grill and also a Vision pro kamado and use them both regularly.

BarryBobPosthole
12-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Never used one myself but they come highly regarded. Let us know how it turns out. What do you smoke all that sausage that you make on?

BkB

Hombre
12-18-2017, 06:25 PM
I have a Green Mountain. Here is my feedback. If you want to spend the time a BGE is definitely better flavor. If you need something quick then the pellets are nice and deliver good, just not great, flavor. I use mine as an alternative way to cook quickly so I don't have to go full stupid and use a gas grill.

Side note: the GMG (sure the traeger too) has a VPN connection. So I can connect from my phone see meat temp, and can also create cooking programs where it cooks for XX minutes at XXX degrees then goes down to XX degrees....etc.

Bwana
12-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Sounds like it will be a couple of weeks before I can pick it up, but will fill you in after I've put it to the test.

Posthole, as for smoking our deer sausage, Dad has a 4'x4'x10' metal box that started off its life as some sort of a switch shack for the railroad. If packed properly we can smoke about 200# of sausage at a time in it.

BarryBobPosthole
12-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Holy cow! I’ve always wanted a smokehouse. Some day I’m gonna build one.

BKB

airbud7
12-19-2017, 10:44 AM
This is great!....all y'all have Bluetooth BBQ grills and I'm still using 2 concrete blocks and a rack out of refrigerator!

Grrrrr! ...:D

Big Muddy
12-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Ha, QA, and your stuff prolly tastes just as good or better !!! ;)

Thumper
12-19-2017, 12:11 PM
The old fish camp in Canada (where we'd launch our boats) had a couple of smokers made from old refrigerators (or freezers?). It's been so long I don't remember the details, but those things were constantly filled with smoking fish, bear or moose meat depending on the season. They seemed to do a pretty good job, had racks already inside and were smoking constantly. These were the old fridges with the rounded top corners, so I'm assuming they had no or minimal plastic to strip out. Get the old firebox going, hang your meat and close the door. If I remember correctly, they had thermometers on the front of the doors where they'd simply drilled a hole and inserted one of those thermometers with a long probe. I never used one of 'em, but the locals seemed to like them.

BarryBobPosthole
12-19-2017, 12:38 PM
I’ve seen smokers made out of old hot water heaters, you name it. Probably the best one I ever saw was made out of a piece of gas pipe the was at least 1” thick and probably 30” across. It was on a trailer, of course, amd was the traditional firebox and smoker setup. The thickness in the metal held the temp steady as a rock the owner said. I know it was a heavy sumbeech to just lift the lid on.
I still prefer the BGE to all comers though. Ceramic smokers/cookers are the tits and the egg shape somehow makes whatever you cook in it juicer.
The only thing you can’t do is let them get to hot and weld the top and bottom together (like some dumbass I know did).

BKb

Big Muddy
12-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Inquiring minds are dying to know, who was the dumbazz ??? ;)

airbud7
12-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Inquiring minds are dying to know, who was the dumbazz ??? ;)

Loooooool^ full-fledged democrat maybe?...:D

Trav
12-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Yep that was sure a dumbass move

Thumper
12-19-2017, 08:46 PM
There's your answer Mudward. :laughing

Arty
12-19-2017, 09:33 PM
And here I thought I was high tech because I put a Bluetooth thermometer on my Christmas list!

Trav
12-19-2017, 10:05 PM
There's your answer Mudward. :laughing

Thumper, it wasn’t me but I know who it was.

BarryBobPosthole
12-19-2017, 10:06 PM
And as soon as you hear it, it will make perfect sense.

BKB

airbud7
12-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Ha, QA, and your stuff prolly tastes just as good or better !!! ;)

I love Kingsford Charcoal and a thick T-bone steak!

hamburgers are better too.....heck!...everything is better!

except the weight of the concrete blocks....Grrrr ...:D

Edit: Harbor Freight has a sale on casters!...maybe I could put them on the blocks....it would be easier to haul around!

:D

Thumper
12-20-2017, 11:45 AM
No problem A/B - if you want a portable grill, just drag that old wheelbarrow out from behind the shed. :thumbsup