PDA

View Full Version : Trip report

Arty
12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Me and my two boys headed out last Thursday afternoon to Larke’s farm, to do a little hunting and story swapping. We stopped about ½ way there and met up with Len. We transferred all of our gear into his truck and we hit the road again. Len took several wrong turns, but we pulled into Larke’s around 9:30 Thursday night. After unloading and having a couple of night caps, we hit the bunks and got up bright and early at 4:30 Friday Morning. Temps weren’t all that bad…low 30’s. We all discussed stands and who was going where and headed out to the woods. There were 5 of us, and we were all spread out pretty well across the farm, if anything was moving, someone would see it. About 7:20 I saw a couple of does about 250 yards out, and they were headed to my youngest boys stand. I sent a group text telling him to BOLO. He texted back he couldn’t see anything… and Larke and I both responded to keep his eyes open, that they were headed right to him. Mind you – this was my youngest son’s first time in a stand all by himself. About 10 minutes later we hear a shot. He texts that he shot one and it ran. I was trying to determine if he thought he hit it, when he texted “there’s another one, should I shoot?”. I’m side texting him off the group chat still trying to determine what he thought about his 1st shot, when we hear another round fire off. Then he texted “shot the 2nd one and there is a 3rd one looking at me”. I AGAIN ask, “did you hit the 2nd one?”. He says thinks he did. Before I could text back, BOOM! 3rd shot. Once all the smoke settles I tell him to sit tight until I get to him.

I make it over to him and start asking where each one was at when he fired, and he was a little confused on exactly where… but we eventually determine approximate locations of each one. We start in the middle where he thinks they were. We see no blood, no hair. We then went to the edge of the field and walk that…twice. No blood, no hair. So we took 2 steps into the woods (thicket) and start working our way around the field. We finally see a rather large pool of blood. We crawl and scrape our way into the thicket about 15 yards, following that blood, and we see one deer piled up. He was super excited, as we were both beginning to think he missed all 3. We finally get to the deer and start taking a look at it. He looks over in the thicket and says “there’s another one!”. Both piled up within 10 yards of each other. We drag those out to the field. About that time Larke sends a text that he sees a doe with a wounded back right leg. The 3rd one got away, and I hope it makes it. Larke said he thought it should, unless Wiley Coyote finds her. The rest of the 1st morning was gutting 2 deer, feeding cows, having some lunch, and all the weak pansies took naps (not gonna call any names, Len).

That afternoon Larke took us to a new piece of land and got everyone set up in their stands, since no one was familiar w/the property (Larke is a hell of guide!). Nice place, very thick, a lot of deer and hog sign on that place. We heard a lot of movement that afternoon. Bout 5:15 Len’s oh-six barks out. He shoots a text “buck is down, I repeat buck is down”. We all meet him at the stand (dark by then) and we get his buck out of the woods. Another round of gutting when we got back, and then some DAMN good steaks cooked by Len. We had taters to go with it, and washed it down with some adult beverages.

Saturday Morning we went back to the new piece of property. It was COLD. I hunted with my youngest boy in a stand big enough to camp in. By 8:30 he had caught a case of the shivers, and couldn’t stop… we called it and headed back to the truck. Len and my oldest were also done. Larke stayed in the woods while we headed to the piggly wiggly for supplies! Back to the farm and we skinned and processed all 3 deer.
The evening hunt we stayed at the farm and DAMN the deer were moving! I think between the 5 of us, we saw 20 something deer. Around 5, my oldest texted he had 3 deer under him. He scoped them out and shot mamma. A FAT doe. Double lung shot at 50 yards with a 30.06 and she still ran 100 yards. More gutting to do that evening!
Saturday night’s menu was more Steak ala’ Len, and Roasted oysters. We ate till we were about to pop. Sunday morning only the real men hunted… Me, Larke, and my youngest. Very cold morning, we hunted til about 8:30. We cleaned up the cabin, loaded up, and left Larke to get some rest!

All in all what a fine trip. Lots of memories, lots of stories told (all of mine were true) and everyone headed home with meat for jerky and sausage!

Thanks Larke – you are quite the host!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
12-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Forgot the pics!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/94588a08f9867a5e754731bc8398fb56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/746d72f8cbdb89e06bfac1c2986cc209.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/d40a23fadecf99c5054916ba38f2646a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/f20060979082a063ec6f4684aa5bf64c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/f278f5f6a2afc36c212904a92618148d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/9e1102f4e6a75b95d5a79b22d22bce04.jpg

quercus alba
12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Len must have ambushed that buck before it saw him. If he had uglied it to death, it would have been torn up to bad to salvage

airbud7
12-20-2017, 01:05 PM
You guys are so Cool....Fun and Love always works!

Happy is the key word!

PS: Go Trump! :D

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Great report!

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Man I sure hated to miss seeing you deplorables this year but I won’t miss next year! Congrats all around to the deerslayers! Just imagine what they would have looked like next year!

You guys are damn lucky to be hosted by one of the best little short effers on this earth.

BkB

Penguin
12-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Hey that sounds like one heck of a trip Arty. Larke does things right. That big tree stand is probably better than my apartments in college. :)

Will

Captain
12-20-2017, 02:42 PM
It was a great time for sure. Them boys were excited and cool to be with.
I had their deer staked out and told them which path they would be coming down and what to look for.
And they deer showed up just like we wanted.
It’s refreshing to see young men take a interest in hunting. They are the future.
And I’ve NEVER EVER seen two boys drink 48 cans of DR. Pepper in 3 days.
That was a thing unto itself.

Arty
12-20-2017, 02:46 PM
It was a great time for sure. Them boys were excited and cool to be with.
I had their deer staked out and told them which path they would be coming down and what to look for.
And they deer showed up just like we wanted.
It’s refreshing to see young men take a interest in hunting. They are the future.
And I’ve NEVER EVER seen two boys drink 48 cans of DR. Pepper in 3 days.
That was a thing unto itself.

It was only 42!

Big Muddy
12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Terrific hunting report.....love to see kids interested in the outdoors.

Hmmmm, btw, I guess "someone" might be sending me some overdue(12 years ;)) deer jerky. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 03:56 PM
^^^^^Sounds like a different kind of dreamer!

BKB

Thumper
12-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Hmmmm, btw, I guess "someone" might be sending me some overdue(12 years ;)) deer jerky. ;)

HA!!! Don't hold your breath .... I figure that may happen the same time P-hole pays Cappy his dollar!

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 05:04 PM
For somebody that wasn’t there you seem awful convinced he had the biggest fish.

BKB

airbud7
12-20-2017, 06:24 PM
For somebody that wasn’t there you seem awful convinced he had the biggest fish.

BKB

the fact that you're a Democrat is proof you owe the dollar......

PS: Please send the extra money Trump is giving you to the Clinton Foundation!

Fucktard!....:D

Captain
12-20-2017, 08:21 PM
I don’t even know where to go with that??

Thumper
12-20-2017, 08:52 PM
For somebody that wasn’t there you seem awful convinced he had the biggest fish. BKB

Heck, I “know” Larkes was bigger ‘cause he told me so.

Oh yeah, plus the fact he offered me half of that dollar. 😉

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 09:15 PM
I think we’re gonna go double or nuthin here soon.

BKB

Arty
12-20-2017, 10:59 PM
You might want to get his “double” in advance. That way you are even at end of the day.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Had to think about that one for a minute.

And I prolly don’t understand all I know about it.

BKB

Arty
12-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Had to think about that one for a minute.

And I prolly don’t understand all I know about it.

BKB

It’s supposed to mean that he owes you $4, and you better get $8 in advance before you go double or nothing with him. That way, you’re up $4 at the start. So even if you lose the next bet, you are really even at the end of the day.
A lot of assumptions in this, including legit bets, arm length, buttered toast, and gorilla toes that are really not toes at all.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Could go over that middle part again?

BKB

airbud7
12-21-2017, 01:10 AM
I think we’re gonna go double or nuthin here soon.

BKB

https://theeclecticpoet.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/acs-triple-dog-dare.jpg

actually Cappy.... his fish does look bigger?

after further review i think Barry won....

Pay up Cappy!....or are y'all even now?

Love Y'all....:D

Captain
12-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Hey! I’m up on HIM 4 dollars.
One for SC and three where I whooped him in his own back yard!

Thumper
12-21-2017, 10:27 AM
So, if I continue to agree with you, does that mean I get $2.00? I'm starting to get a bit confused about what you promised me. ;)

Bwana
12-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Looks like a dandy time and congrats to the shooters!

LJ3
12-22-2017, 11:06 AM
I've been down with the flu the last few days. (a) All of you disparaging my handsomeness, bite me. I'm an Adonis is what I am. (2) Eddie, I promised you I'd pay my debt if I ever kilt a deer again, I'll make good on it! (iii) Man o man I really needed that getaway. Words can't describe how grateful I am.

LJ3
12-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Oh... and our photo shoot in the woods was comical. We all had lights and were yelling at Jamie's boy to get it right. The results were perfect for an artsy Bucky shot.

Captain
12-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Eddie, I promised you I'd pay my debt if I ever kilt a deer again, I'll make good on it! (iii) Man o man I really needed that getaway. Words can't describe how grateful I am.
So a dude from Washington DC drives to SC shoots a deer hauls it back north, makes Jerky, and ships it to Mississippi?
That jerky is gonna have jet lag!!!!

Big Muddy
12-22-2017, 12:26 PM
So a dude from Washington DC drives to SC shoots a deer hauls it back north, makes Jerky, and ships it to Mississippi?
That jerky is gonna have jet lag!!!!

Ha, and not to mention it's gonna be contaminated with his flu bug germs !!! ;););)

Captain
12-22-2017, 01:15 PM
That’s the extra seasoning he’s gonna add
I think he hooked up with a little gal at the Piggly Wiggly while he was down here and got the monkey mange.
Wonder if they have Piggy Wiggley’s out where Big Sky lives???

Big Muddy
12-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Ha, Cap, that might be the reason all the Piggly Wiggly stores have closed down here, except for one.....and, it's over in the "very dark" section of town. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2017, 03:28 PM
There was a Piggly Wiggly in Waldron, Ark where my Dad and uncle did most of their shopping. I had no idea they still had them anywhere intil I visited SC.

BkB

jb
12-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Even at my old age I remember those days down on Larkes' farm. First time down there Hammerhead was in 1st grade and Kay kept him busy in the truck while Larke showed me around.
Spent time there with the wife when there was rabbit camp, then deer camp and turkeys with #3 and a few other times with friends . You just can't get it any better, wonderful memories and just darn good company.
Glad youse guys get to make your own memories, looked like fun.