PDA

View Full Version : Dancing

BarryBobPosthole
01-02-2018, 12:51 PM
First off, ask my wife, I don’t dance. Oh I might two-step with her if the time and music is right. But most times I’m one of ‘those’ husbands.

The reason I thought of this is I was thinking about how much things have changed over the years.
Dancing was considered a sin by my parents and that kind of cut my dancing career short. My high school had several ‘mixers’, sometimes out at the armory and sometimes at the high school
/civic center. But I wasn’t allowed to go to any of them. I actually sneaked out and attended my Senior Prom but they didn’t consciously allow it. I even wore a rented suit.

Times have changed a lot! I would’ve probably been an awesome dancer!

BKB

Bwana
01-02-2018, 01:55 PM
For my folks and even my grandparents generation, dancing was a BIG thing around here. There were actually dance halls where folks went on weekends back in my grandparents time.

Hell, when I was in high school our class used to have teen dances at the Memorial Hall which amounted to the class hiring a band and charging admission as a means of making money. Kids would come from towns all around to participate. Dancing wasn't as big of a draw as was the opposite sex, cruising main, and sneaking a drink or seven in the process.

That being said, I can dance a bit. Waltz, polka, two-step, etc. but just good enough to only step on my wife's foot a couple of times a night. My parents and grandparents on the other hand can TRULY dance.

LJ3
01-02-2018, 02:08 PM
This is the oppressive tale of.... Footloose!

jb
01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
We actually had dance lessons offered to us in 7th grade by the school. On Saturday night, no fee, just show up and get instruction on all the standard ball room dances as well as jitterbug. (This was back in 1957)
Then came the Twist in the 60's and there was no such thing as the correct way to hold your partner, cause ya never touched each other, hell for the most part you never really knew who your partner was.
But the lessons in the 7th grade carried over enough that I can still do the box step on a slow dance with the wife and can still twist with the best of them at the class reunions. :wink

Thumper
01-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Yep, I actually took ballroom dancing lessons at a professional studio (9th grade, i think?). I forgot all the dances, but do remember the Box Step, Foxtrot & Waltz. I've never used one bit of it, but the lessons were fun because 90% of the chicks taking lessons were hotties!

As for h/s type dances, I'd never pass up a slow dance, but my buddies always told me I looked like I was "fucking, standing up." (they were just jealous) ;)

Generally, I always felt like a total dork when (fast) dancing and tried to avoid it at all costs, but, I'd many times tear that floor up once I got drunk enough! :D

airbud7
01-02-2018, 08:11 PM
The more I drink, The better I dance...just ask me...:D

No joke^