PDA

View Full Version : Making progress

Bwana
01-23-2018, 10:09 AM
So last spring, and RIGHT before the signup deadline, we were able to get school board permission to start a clay target league in our three public high schools here in town. We ended up with 35 kids on a three day notice and though we had a fairly steep learning curve we got through our inaugural season quite nicely with a pretty decent showing at the state shoot. During the fall season we had 48 shooters from grades 6-12 competing and though there was no state shoot, we had 3 boys and 3 girls who finished in the top 10 in the state!

The USA Clay Target League started in 2000 or 2001 in Minnesota but North Dakota didn't have any schools participating until 2015 with a grand total of 4. Last year we were up to 38 schools with a total of more than 900 kids shooting and this year will be even bigger. Our state shoot is going to be a two-day event this year.

At this time we coaches are in the process of trying to secure sponsorships from wherever we can to help cut down the cost of shooter participation, holding informational/sign-up meetings in the schools, and trying to make it so the shooters can earn a varsity letter just as kids can in football, basketball, etc. and we are REALLY close. From the start of this thing, being able to letter was one of my goals for this program as not every kid is good at a ball sport and now many colleges look at varsity lettering as part of their application process so why not give these kids the chance to try to earn a letter? I have a meeting with the Athletic Director this coming Monday to discuss the draft lettering criteria that I drafted and submitted for review. We will see how that goes, but I have to say it feels great knowing that our school board is VERY much behind us with this program.

Given the interest in our program, I fully expect we will have at least 100 kids for this spring season as one of the private schools has asked to be a part of our effort as well as the sister city across the river from us. Now we are up to 5 area schools, very near to having a lettering program, and hoping to get some additional funding so we can kick off the 2018 in grand style on our March 25th season opener!

Penguin
01-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Man that is GREAT work bwana. Great work.

I wish someone had gotten something like that up and running when I was in high school. You never know when something like that may pay off either. When I worked for Caterpillar if you wanted to meet the higher ups who ran things you didn't learn to golf you learned to shoot trap. Every week they'd meet up rain or shine to shoot some clay pigeons. You can make some good friends shooting trap and skeet.

Will

DeputyDog
01-23-2018, 10:18 AM
That is awesome! I don’t see a program like that happening where I live. I’m not aware of any like it in Indiana except the 4-H shooting sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
01-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Rifle is still a varsity support here where I am in Occupied Virginia. (Shockingly!) No shotgun sports though.

Great work, Bwana!

BarryBobPosthole
01-23-2018, 10:41 AM
None of that going on here in Oklahoma but I sure wish there was. Fine work there, John.

Just curious, but what got you interested in doing this? Its an awesome idea, especially on the end goals with a letter award.

BKB

Bwana
01-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Deputy Dog, they do have such a program in your state so maybe if you talk nice to the right people...

BBP, you are correct that sadly there is nothing in OK, but it looks like the surrounding states have programs. Now that you are retired, I'd say you are the man for the job. :)

As for how I got involved? A friend who is a BIGTIME trap shooter learned about it while at one of the shoots and given I am a coach for our trap club's summer program said, "You should get this started." I've seen what trap shooting can do to raise a kid's confidence level and grow as a person so I was interested but given my real job wasn't willing to take it all on myself. I talked to a few folks and eventually a few of us who didn't know one another ended up in the same room with the same idea that this sounded like a great opportunity and here we are now one of 31 states in the program where kids are getting a chance to learn a new sport (a surprising number of our shooters have never shot clay pigeons or even a gun for that matter but you could never tell after a single season as they learn QUICKLY!) or hone there skills, be part of a team, and have good, SAFE fun. What's not to like?

Cards01
01-23-2018, 12:00 PM
That is awesome. Congrats on a successful project and introducing the youth into the shooting sports world the right way!!

Arty
01-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a lot of work on your part, it well worth the investment of time. Good job!

DeputyDog
01-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Really? I’ve never heard of any schools having a program.

LJ3
01-23-2018, 01:49 PM
From the start of this thing, being able to letter was one of my goals for this program as not every kid is good at a ball sport and now many colleges look at varsity lettering as part of their application process so why not give these kids the chance to try to earn a letter? I have a meeting with the Athletic Director this coming Monday to discuss the draft lettering criteria that I drafted and submitted for review. We will see how that goes, but I have to say it feels great knowing that our school board is VERY much behind us with this program.

That's really cool! I'd be careful with varsity letters in shooting sports when applying to any school east of the Mississippi. Seriously.

DeputyDog
01-23-2018, 02:25 PM
I looked it up. Apparently there is a single school in Indiana that participates.

Bwana
01-23-2018, 02:59 PM
If anyone else wants to look up schools in their states:
http://www.usaclaytarget.com/

jb
01-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Great job Bwana, it takes people like you to make things like this happen.
We have some active schools around the state. I have shot side-by-side often with these kids, some have put me to shame. :>)
We have a college here in MI that offers scholarships to shooters, (Hillsdale College) where they even have a shooting range on campus.
One thing that I've seen is participation is strong with parent support and funding. After graduation participation falls off due to the cost, new jobs, new hobbies and or starting a family.
Then it starts back up again after they become empty nesters, retire, or find the extra income it takes to enjoy your pastime.
I"ve contributed to clubs that sponsor these kids and buy all their raffle tickets. About two years ago, you may recall, I won one of these raffles and walked home with a $13,000 shotgun.
I know your boys have shot trap, I hope they continue.

Bwana
01-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words all but it truly is a labor of love as I LOVE seeing the look on kids' faces when they get things figured out. It is truly rewarding.

Thought I shouldn't be, I am quite surprised at how supportive everyone I have talked to about this has been, with two exceptions...my boys. They are both in college now and want to know why I didn't get this going when they were still eligible to shoot. Oh well, my daughter is pretty tickled that she gets to participate. :)