PDA

View Full Version : What a Business

BarryBobPosthole
01-26-2018, 11:32 AM
So I lost a clamp that fastens my bed cover on my truck. They’re called ‘tight bite’ clamps and just machined aluminum clamps with a nut and bolt through them. Nothing special.
Without getting onto the long story (shut up Birddog) about how it was lost, I went to order just one clamp from Access, the company that makes the cover. (I’m really happy with those covers, its my second one and they last forever)

Get this: they sell every individual part of the covers on their website EXCEPT the clamps. To order the clamps, you have to call them with the serial number of your cover and order it over the phone. WTF? They won’t even list the price.

So I found it on a custom truck place for about four times what it’s worth. Its worth about $6 in my estimation and the place I bought it from charged me $20.

I think if I needed to work on a project to make some jingle, I’d find some area of parts that are in some sort of demand, set up a website, and sell frigging parts for way more than they’re worth.

Its a friggin clamp! For effs sake.

BKB

Hombre
01-26-2018, 02:37 PM
I get the feeling the most ints resting part of this story has been omitted

Captain
01-26-2018, 03:48 PM
I’m with Hombre!
Birddog needs to check in and do a Paul Harvey on your ass....

BarryBobPosthole
01-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Its actually a story of good old fashioned ingenuity. We went fishing, in December I think it was, and when we picked up my boat, trolling motor, and battery I accidently forgot to put the lugs back on the posts when I moved the battery from the big boat to the little boat.. My trolling motor has lugs, not clamps, so when we got to where we were going I had to look around and find a 5/16 nut somewhere. Two of them in fact. I found them on.......the tight bite clamps on my cover. Worked like a champ. Getting them back on tight with a needle nose plier didn’t work so well and one fell off when we got home. I put it somewhere where I’d remember it. But damned if I can remember where that is.
Yep it was kind of like a monkey effing a football.

BKb

Captain
01-26-2018, 05:08 PM
I bet you put it i. The same spot with your spare boat plug and punch set...

DeputyDog
01-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Or it’s next to the money you owe the Good Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain
01-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Or it’s next to the money you owe the Good Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG! It will never be found!

BarryBobPosthole
01-26-2018, 06:55 PM
My fish was bigger.
BKB

Arty
01-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Just spit ballin’.... I’d pull out the ole binoculars and see if you can spot it with those.

Oh, wait...

Captain
01-26-2018, 07:43 PM
My fish was bigger.
BKB

Your Fish might have been bigger than the OTHER Fish you caught. But it was smaller than any fish I caught.
Pay the man!

Thumper
01-26-2018, 08:49 PM
So I found it on a custom truck place for about four times what it’s worth. Its worth about $6 in my estimation and the place I bought it from charged me $20. BKB

Well, since your old man retirement date, you seem to be getting more and more like your twin ... Bucky. Keeping that in mind, that one prolly won't be the last one you lose. Maybe you should stock up. You can pick up an 8-pack of 'em on eBay for $39.00! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Access-10155-Tonneau-Cover-Rail-Clamp-Free-Shipping-8-pack/331949973404?hash=item4d49c29f9c:g:lpoAAOSwawpXve4 e&vxp=mtr

BarryBobPosthole
01-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Well, I overestimated their worth. I thought $6 and they’re worth $5.

BKB

Captain
01-26-2018, 10:35 PM
You should have shopped Kribbs first. He could have gotten you a pile of them, give hisself some mark up and shipped them to you and you would still have a deal!