PDA

View Full Version : I dropped by QA's farm......

Big Muddy
01-27-2018, 02:13 AM
Ole QA dun gone into the chicken bidness. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Back during the emu craze, one of my parents neighbors were raising emus in an old chcken house. I guess the fertilized eggs were worth more than the birds then, but the birds were overly protective. They had an old veedub with a hole cut in the floorboard that they use to collect eggs off the ground.

That pic reminded me of that story.

bKb

Big Muddy
01-27-2018, 11:53 AM
My old great-aunt raised chickens and guineas in an old topless four-sided cotton wagon that she had turned upside-down, in her backyard.....the ground served as the bottom, and the wooden slats were just wide enough for the birds to come and go, but kept out the possums and coons.....she left the old rubber tires on it, which were sticking straight up in the air.....to this day, I can still remember those chickens and guineas, trying to keep their balance, while sitting on top of those old tires, as they spun around. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Hahahaha...I can just picture it.

My old man got the idea he wanted guineas one time and bought ten or twelve chicks of them at the hardware store. I think they were like a nickel apiece. He wanted them as kind of a mobile security force and bug patrol. They were damn good at it but kind of annoying.

One day he was out starting up our old Farmall and it backfired. it startled those guineas and they all got up and flew right into the side of the barn. I think it killed all but one or two of them and those didn’t last long.

FYi, we didn’t eat them so I have no idea if they are good to eat or not.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Ha, yep, the guineas served mostly as yard-guards, but when the chicken supply would run low, we'd eat a few of the guineas, as well.....tastes sorta like a squab.

DeputyDog
01-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Turkeys and peacocks do a great job of yard security too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2018, 12:51 PM
My grandpa had a pair of big geese, a goose and a gander, that scared the bejeebers out of me. That gander was mean as hell.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2018, 12:51 PM
My grandpa had a pair of big geese, a goose and a gander, that scared the bejeebers out of me. That gander was mean as hell.

BKB

quercus alba
01-27-2018, 01:41 PM
If you've got a flea problem you can turn a half dozen guineas loose and they'll get rid of them fast quick and in a hurry

Big Muddy
01-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Pretty sure I told ya'll this story, previously.....somebody(pretty sure it was a neighbor, up the road a ways) dropped off a day'um peacock in our driveway a few years ago.....it took up residence in our yard, and really wasn't a nuisance at first, but a few weeks later it started crowing non-stop from about 3 am until sunrise.

I came in from muzzle loader hunting late one afternoon, and the day'um thing was sitting on a big red oak tree limb about 150 yards behind our house.....I always shoot my muzzle loader to unload it, so I decided that if the Good Lord really wanted that peacock to live, and keep us awake half the night, He'd allow my muzzle loader ball to completely miss that peacock.....after all, it was a good 150 yards away.

I just threw up the muzzle, and really didn't even aim.....at that point, I just left it all in the Good Lord's hands.....the smoke cleared, and feathers flew everywhere.

I told my wife that it musta been the Lord's work, and a hawk musta killed the day'um thing.....next morning, she went out and collected the colorful plume of tail feathers, and made a beautiful feather and flower arrangement for Sunday church.....so ya see, the Lord DOES work in mysterious ways !!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2018, 08:32 PM
You’re going to that other place for that one.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-27-2018, 09:16 PM
I've already asked forgiveness for that one. ;)

quercus alba
01-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Peacocks are supposed to be sumptuous table fare

Big Muddy
01-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Could you really eat anything with the word "cock" in it ??? ;)

airbud7
01-28-2018, 12:51 PM
I got Lynn a new swing

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2276.jpg

she broke the last one....

https://www.ysoserious.xyz/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/12-18.jpg

she need to lose some weight...:D

quercus alba
01-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Could you really eat anything with the word "cock" in it ??? ;).

Ok, peafowl

Thumper
01-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Would you like fowltail sauce with your shrimp fowltail??? :huh

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Fowlsucker!

BkB