PDA

View Full Version : Got The Itch Again...

Big Skyz
01-30-2018, 11:52 AM
My youngest daughter really wanted me to take her out calling for coyotes this past Saturday. My main fishing partner outside of my own kids likes to coyote hunt as well. So between the two of them I figured I better dust off the caller and my rifle. To be honest I sort'a had the itch to go anyway. It proved to be a fun day overall. On our very first stand of the morning, right as it was getting just light enough to shoot, I let out a howl. I had no sooner finished and my daughter exclaims; "Dad there is one right there on the ridge in front of us!" There were two ridges in front of us, so I assumed she meant the far ridge. I asked which ridge and was surprised when she said the close one. It took me a second to pick out the coyote in the dim light. Even when I did find it, it wasn't easy to see because of the brush and lack of daylight. I remember thinking I sure hope it looks brighter in my scope. It did, and one quick shot later the coyote was dead. That entire stand from when we sat down to when I put the coyote on the ground was less than one minute. That almost never happens. He obviously was really close and when I let out that howl, he wasn't having it, and wanted to know who was in his territory.
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79570&d=1517096649

My daughter had to go to work so we dropped her off and headed back out. I decided to stop by a rancher friend's house and ask for permission to hunt. He wasn't home so I called him on my cell phone. He gave me the green light to have at'em. So I jump in my truck to leave. His parking area was covered in ice from driving his ranch and feed trucks all over the place. It was relatively flat so I wasn't very concerned. My tires started to spin so I reached down to flip the switch to go into 4 high. My sissy Ford F150 decided to have the 4 wheel drive go out in that moment. So there I am stuck in this guys drive way. Thank goodness my partner is a big fellar at around 6'3" and 340 lbs. He gets out and helps push me out far enough to get on some non-icy ground. I can't say I have ever loved this F150 and that relationship just fell another notch. I have got to figure out how to afford another Toyota Tacoma. I need Toyota-Tough, not Fussy-Ford. I'm struggling between repairing the truck or just burning it to the ground for being such a pain in the rear over the years.

Enough about that. We get to the next stand and I was able to call in a pair of coyotes. The female held back about 300 yards or better, but the big male came within 150 yards and Big Mike was able to put the smack down on the coyote. Boys, this is a big sucker. Remember my partner isn't a little fellar so that should give you some perspective on just how big this coyote really is. The wind picked up after this stand and pretty much shut us down for the day.
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79572&d=1517096652

Despite the truck issue it was a great day spent with my daughter and a good friend. As we were hiking back out I took this photograph. I like how it turned out and think it's a great parting shot to close out this post. :)
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79573&d=1517096654

Big Muddy
01-30-2018, 11:59 AM
As always, a great trip report, Sky !!!.....if I ever get in a ruckus, I sho'nuf would like for your big ole buddy to be on my side ----340 lbs. !!! ;)

Cards01
01-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Nice trip report and awesome photo's as always!!

Thumper
01-30-2018, 12:33 PM
I'd say that last pic would qualify as a "Niner Photo". :encouragement:

Thanks for a great read this morning!

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Good times! Thanks for sharing the story and the photos troy.
I always look forward to your posts.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Good Lord, they sure grow coyotes big out your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
01-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Good Lord, they sure grow coyotes big out your way!

One word ... "Photoshop"! :biggrin

Hombre
01-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Nice pics and great story you fellas sure seem to be fans of the Sitka gear out that way

Big Skyz
01-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Hombre, I don't own any Sitka (too expensive for me.) My partner worked at a sporting goods store in the summers and he would get clearance prices on Sitka Gear. He's never paid full retail for the stuff. It's good clothing, but just so stupid expensive.

Hombre
01-30-2018, 05:06 PM
I agree its too expensive, but I have some. Its dang fine gear does a good job in the rain, and its pretty warm.

Captain
01-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Whenever Troy gets an itch animals live hard in his neck of the woods.
Great pictures. Congrats.

Thumper
01-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Whenever Troy gets an itch animals live hard in neck of the woods.

Huh?? Have you been hittin' the cherry juice? :poke

Hombre
01-30-2018, 09:40 PM
It makes sense. Translation

Troy said he had an itch (Post Title)

Animals live hard (Troy puts a hurtin on'em)

Thumper
01-30-2018, 11:27 PM
In neck of the woods??

I’m still bettin’ on the cherry juice. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-31-2018, 12:16 AM
What’s a pronoun between friends?

BKB

Arty
01-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Dang that looks like a lot of fun. You put the smack down!

BarryBobPosthole
01-31-2018, 08:51 AM
And by the way! Yer camo don’t match.

BKB

Thumper
01-31-2018, 12:21 PM
And by the way! Yer camo don’t match. BKB

Looks like he exchanged his pants with his daughter just so her camo wouldn't match either. ;)

Big Skyz
01-31-2018, 12:29 PM
The question isn't whether my camo matches or not, is there a dead coyote or not, is the question. ;)

Thumper
01-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Ha ha! On a serious note, do you have an estimate on what Big Mike's coyote might weigh? I see he's giving it about half a long-arm and holding it up with one hand! (My guess would be in the 80 lb. range maybe???)

Booger
01-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Ha ha! On a serious note, do you have an estimate on what Big Mike's coyote might weigh? I see he's giving it about half a long-arm and holding it up with one hand! (My guess would be in the 80 lb. range maybe???)I say...48 lbs. The first one is about 31 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thumper
01-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Dang, years ago, I had a large German Shepherd that weighed 85 lbs. I was comparing it to the large 'yote as they appear to be about the same size. I have no clue how coyote weights run.

Chicken Dinner
01-31-2018, 02:14 PM
That would have been a nice coyote in another year or two.

Big Skyz
01-31-2018, 03:26 PM
I don't what it weighs and it bothered me that we didn't have a way to weigh it in the field. So my next trip into the big city I'm going to buy a digital fish scale so I can weight both fish and coyotes as the not knowing is annoying to me.

Thumper
01-31-2018, 03:40 PM
If you're knocking down monsters like that one, I'd buy one of those digital luggage scales!

Big Skyz
01-31-2018, 04:09 PM
Speaking of big coyotes, this is the biggest one I've killed out here on this side of the state. I killed one or two that were bigger when I lived on the eastern border of Montana, but I don't have decent photos of them. This coyote however, went viral and ran all over the internet as being a wolf. It was claimed to be a wolf killed in about a dozen different eastern states. Had all kinds of hateful posts for killing one of natures beautiful wolves. The level of stupidity in people is sometimes overwhelming...kind'a like watching the democrats last night...
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79717&d=1517429112

Thumper
01-31-2018, 04:52 PM
Nice pup! He'd have been even nicer the following year. :)

Oh, and your camo don't match. :D

Wow! Just the size of the FEET on that critter is sumpin' else!

HideHunter
01-31-2018, 08:53 PM
*Very* cool!

Bwana
02-01-2018, 10:38 AM
I REALLY need to get out calling coyotes and soon!

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2018, 03:28 PM
I tried calling some at the end of last deer season with no luck. You guys make it look too easy.

Thumper
02-01-2018, 04:12 PM
I tried calling some at the end of last deer season with no luck. You guys make it look too easy.

There's your sales opportunity Sky ... I'd say you now know a man who needs a FoxPro. ;)

Big Skyz
02-01-2018, 06:10 PM
He may already have a FoxPro. Calling to coyote and having coyotes come into the call are two different things. I've been at it a while and the guy in the show with me has been at it twice as long or more than I have. It doesn't hurt that he's won the world coyote calling/hunting contest more than any human alive either. In short, sometimes we do make it look easy, but there are days when no matter how good you are it can be a grind. I think a huge part of my success is that I'm persistent if nothing else. Those that know me best will probably say I'm just to dumb to quit, but either way, it adds up to a lot of coyote kills and big fish getting landed. :D