PDA

View Full Version : Home Generators

jb
03-02-2018, 04:50 PM
In the 38 years since we built our house we've lost power maybe a dozen times.
Some were just a few hours, the longest was 4 days.
Summer time you make do fairly easy, just keep the frig. and freezer doors closed and add ice if needed, but winter really sucks. Loose power during a blizzard and 0 degrees and the house gets cold real fast, then the worry about frozen pipes happen.
As old age creeps up on ya, ya just don't want to deal with shit like that.
So yesterday and today they installed my new 9kw Generac generator. It will cover about 2/3 of the houses electrical needs, mainly the well, furnace, frig, freezer, kitchen stuff, and the main living areas in the house including my office.
Runs off my natural gas supply.
It's like an insurance policy, hope you never have to use it, but it's there if needed.
Maybe someday I'll let you know how it works. :beer

Thumper
03-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Very cool. I’m sure you know already, but I believe the good Captain has both of his places backed up by whole house generators. Great to have, but way out of my price range. The last hurricane that blew through here had us without power for 3-days, but many people were out for weeks! My generator worked great, but it was only a 6500W portable. Still, we ran two full-sized refrigerators and a very large freezer, plus a couple of lamps, the tv and a fan. It saved our food, which we could cook on a grill or camp stove. Not ideal, but much cheaper. We VERY seldom lose power, but a generator is worth it’s weight in gold if needed. Kinda the same as auto insurance, you may never need it, but it’s darned nice to have if you do!

Penguin
03-02-2018, 06:05 PM
I'm like Jim. It is a great thing but just a tad out of my price range. 😊

johnboy
03-02-2018, 06:34 PM
A great idea. I'd love to have that installed. I did fire up the Honda 2000 (for the rv) when we had a power out this winter so I could brew up some coffee. GOTTA have my coffee in the morning!

Chicken Dinner
03-02-2018, 07:38 PM
My powers been out going on 18 hours due to this Nor’easter. Luckily, it’s not all that cold. But, the whole house generator is looking better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
03-02-2018, 07:41 PM
When I win the lottery!

TBH we’ve not had a power outage over an hour or so in the twenty years we’ve lived here. Our utilities are underground and I think that’s the reason.

Captain
03-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I’ll never own another house without it and the auto transfer switch. Got one on both the NC and SC house
Sometimes we are out for days. The transfer switch turn the power back on in like 6 seconds.
Worth every dime they cost.