PDA

View Full Version : When did this happen?

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Why do guys wear suits now that look five sizes too small?

Granted, I haven’t had occasion to wear a suit in many years, (i wear jeans and cowboy boots to all formal events now) but I get the idea if I did, my pleated dress pants might be a little dated.

BKB

Thumper
03-05-2018, 12:23 PM
I've noticed the same thing P-hole. What stands out to me the most, is the "high water pants". Just last night I noticed a guy on a talk show. Some "star" was sitting in a chair next to the host (picture the Tonight Show type set-up) and the cuffs of his frigging pants legs were half way up his calves! (he was wearing a suit!) When I was a kid, we called pants that length, "pedal-pushers" or depending where you were from, "clam-diggers". (I think the wimmins call 'em capri pants" these days) It sure looked goofy to me ... like he borrowed a pair of slacks at the last minute, from somebody a foot shorter than him. :crazy

I'm with you though. If Lynn will let me get away with it, my formal wear these days is jeans and a button-down shirt. The "formal" part IMO is the buttons and collar on my shirt, and I give into the pressure from her to wear dress shoes instead of my usual Reeboks (I know better than to try getting away with my daily footwear - flip-flops!) ;)

quercus alba
03-05-2018, 12:47 PM
And those ugly skinny pointed shoes. Fred Sanford called them roach killers. You run the roach up in a corner and kill them with the pointy toes

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
I got informed by a fashionista years ago that button down shirts were informal and only rubes wore them with suits. Gotta be a non-button down collar. BTW, I only wear button down collars too.

I also have a ‘dress’ ball cap.

BKB

Thumper
03-05-2018, 01:08 PM
In Jr, High School, we never wore socks with our penny loafers. I notice now, those Hollywood dufes are not wearing socks with their suits and dress shoes. WTF?

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Don’t get me started on men’s socks. Or as they call them now ‘stockings’. Those ones that look like wome’s hoseare the worse.

I wore penny loafers in junior high too. With buffalo/indian head nickels in them. Man I wish I still had those nickels.

And FYi, there ain’t any junior highs any more. Some fucker with an MBA decided we didn’t need them.

BkB

Thumper
03-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I said something about Jr. High to my son once and received nothing more than a blank stare. When I elaborated, he said, "Oh, you mean Middle School"! I'm clueless. :(

And for the penny loafers? I was rich. I had a Mercury Dime in each of mine. The purpose was, if I ever got into a bind, I had enough to make a couple of phone calls! Do they even have phone booths anymore? If not, where would Super Man change clothes?

Penguin
03-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Hehehehehe. :)

I have wondered the same thing guys. Good lord some of these fashions are so..... girly. I think a lot of it is imported from Europe. There was this German engineer that came over to show us some stuff he was running on a dyno and it was all I could do to keep a straight face when I spoke with him. He was mid-50s and wearing one of those skin tight combos of button up shirt and jeans.... with sequins sewn on the back pockets. Complete with those ridiculous pointy toed elf shoes.

I'll be honest, i ain't the last word in fashion. I usually wear a pair of LL Bean khakis and a Carhartt tee. My feet are in Red Wings. A pair of their modern Chukkas (on my 3rd pair) or a pair of their old Foremen's oxfords from 20 years ago. Inside I may have a Stormy Kromer flannel shirt if it is a cool day. Maybe I'm out of style and maybe I ain't. But at least I can go into a lab and do some work without worrying about blowing out the crotch of my pants or the armpit of my shirts if I squat down or reach to grab something. :p

Will

Hombre
03-06-2018, 03:49 AM

How it's suppose to look :)

quercus alba
03-06-2018, 08:55 AM
That last picture brings a couple things to mind but I can't remember what they are

1) something about a female sibling

2) something about football

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 09:09 AM
That’d be the one I was talking about. I’d have to wear a jock with a suit like that.

BKb

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 10:53 AM

How it's suppose to look :)

And you’re looking more like Cousin Eddie every year.

Bkb

Thumper
03-06-2018, 11:15 AM
All I know is, I have a neck ache now. :banghead

LJ3
03-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Pleated pants are for the over 60 crowd, so you're good. Agree on the extreme tailoring of suits, though. The new colored sock fashion is FUN! Lighten up you bunch of old fuckwagons!

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 12:04 PM
We don’t call them colored any more Len.

BKB

Penguin
03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Hehehe.... Len I do believe you made that one up on the fly because I've never heard it before. :p

Another question: When did all the 100% cotton denims gets replaced by stuff with ploy and rayon and spandex in them? Spandex? In jeans? Really? I know Lee changed the material on their carpenter jeans and got lambasted so badly on their site that they brought the original 100% cotton ones back under a new name.

One good thing about not worrying about fashion is that you don't have to worry about being out of fashion. Seriously. Remember those super wide lapels of the 70s? My pop left a whole closet full of them when he died. Go back to one of the old movies from the 40s or 50s. Take a good look at what Glenn Ford or Cary Grant or Gary Cooper are wearing. Odds are good it would look perfect today even if most of us don't have the same handsome looks that they did. Chasing fashion trends is for those with the extra money to worry about it. Go with the old standard and forget about these weenies with their skinny pants and ill fitting jackets.

Will

Hombre
03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
I think if there is one thing we can all agree on my wife is one lucky gal, she really is batting above average....

And, Postie - Can I park my RV outside that yuppie mansion of yours

LJ3
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Hehehe.... Len I do believe you made that one up on the fly because I've never heard it before. :p

As a matter of fact I did coin that term recently. Too bad stuff like that can't be, like, a real job and stuff! :)

Thumper
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Get it copyrighted Ticboy! ;)

I'm thinkin' maybe Pee Wee's fashion choices were ahead of his time.