PDA

View Full Version : It’s baaaaaaack!

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 05:14 PM
2019 Toyota Supra.

I never owned a Supra but I bought a 81 Celica GT brand new and it was an awesome car. I only drive trucks now, but this little number makes my heart flutter.

She’s a beaut Clark!

BKB

Big Skyz
03-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Holy smokes that is a nice looking car!!! I'm not really a car guy either, but I could learn to like that real quick!

Thumper
03-06-2018, 06:18 PM
I also used to drive an '81 Celica GT Posty. A good running little car, and considering that was 37 years ago, they were pretty stylish.

Thumper
03-06-2018, 06:30 PM
BTW, they will come with a 4 or 6-cyl. engine. The 6-cyl. will be a 400 HP, twin turbo scooter-pooper!

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 06:40 PM
I drove the dickens out of my Celica. That 22R was the best engine Yota ever made IMO.

BKB

Thumper
03-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Yes, the 22R was unbreakable! I had one in my first truck also, a 4WD, 1981, SR5 long bed with a manual 4-speed and a camper shell. I finally sold it with over 300,000 miles on the clock. I've never driven anything but Toyota trucks since buying that first '81! I will say, it was under powered, especially when pulling my trailer loaded with a couple race bikes, tools, water, fuel, camping gear, coolers and spare parts, etc. It was a chore rowing through the gears when going through the Rocky Mountains under load and I felt like I was rowing a boat with that gear shift. BUT ... it never failed to get me there and get me back home. The ONLY thing I ever replaced, other than normal maintenance items like oil, plugs, tires, brakes, etc, was the master cylinder. I did add a set of headers and a Weber carburetor with a K&N filter, but it was still under powered when loaded. Of course I had big 32" off-road tires mounted with no gear changes, so that sure didn't help any. I really loved that old truck. That was when Toyota had a "real" truck chassis with a solid frame and a straight front axle with leaf springs.

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2018, 08:06 PM
As I recall my Celica was like 92 hp. That’s not much but I could get third gear scratch.

BKB

Bwana
03-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Sharp looking ride but am thinking it might not do well in the wintertime. ;)

jb
03-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Would love to own/drive something like that, but it ain't going to happen.
Yesterday wife and I went to coffee, she's been looking at new cars and wanted to stop by the Chevy dealer to look at the new Equinox. In the show room next to her model was a new Vet. I think the new Vet's 2014 and newer are some of the better looking models in many, many years.
Anyway, I've been kidding her for the past couple of months about buying a new Vet to replace my 15 year old Z4, I said I just need something different, and getting to old to enjoy a standard tranny .
While she was crawling all over the Equinox, I tried to get into the Vet, (hard top model), damn, almost needed a shoehorn just to get into the seat, when I did get in and put the seat all the way back and all the way down my head was pushed into the roof so hard it bent it sideways. If it was a convertible I'd be looking over the windshield. Wife laughed, and said you're just an old fool who wants his youth back.
I bet Thump couldn't even get into the damn thing.

Thumper
03-07-2018, 10:03 AM
I don't know Bwana ... I don't see where I'd have one bit of a problem. ;)

Which begs a question: Do you have to be rich to be a Yankee? My hunting buddy "up north" has a Mustang GT Convertible. It spends 2/3 of it's life locked in the barn. Bubba buries his Bimmer (Bubba's Bimmer ;) ) in the garage for as many months as it's out of the garage. The same with boats, we use 'em year 'round ... Yankees use 'em 3-months out of the year! I think I have youse dufes figured out now, you're all filthy rich! :D

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Interesting to think about, but cars nowadays don’t look anything like we thought they would look like when we saw pictures of ‘the car of the future’.

Most of the modern concept cars look to me like they stole a lot from the Lexus in The movie Minority Report.

BKB

Thumper
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Ha! I guess you posted a few seconds before I did Bubba! Now you're looking for something ELSE to park in the garage most of the year! ;)

Yeppers, I've bought two new Vette's over the years. It was a bitch getting in and out, but once I was in, I could get comfortable ... 'course there's a big difference between 6'2" and your 8'2"! ;)

Oh, yeah you Yankee dufus ... Vet is a Veteran or an animal doctor ... the car is a Vette ... V-E-T-T-E!! Sheesh, when you bought the Z-4, I had to tell you the difference between a Bimmer and a Beemer, now this! Get with the program son. :D

Thumper
03-07-2018, 10:35 AM
P-hole, Lynn's brother is an engineer for Lexus and I like to b/s with him about upcoming vehicles. If I remember correctly, the last time I talked with him, they hadn't decided whether they were going to use the Lexis or BMW motor. BTW Bubba, the Supra is being built in partnership with BMW and will be built in Germany at one of the BMW plants. The BMW version will supposedly look totally different but they're sharing the engineering along with many of the components. It'll basically be the new Z-4. They "may" be using the twin-turbo M-3 motor in the 'Yota ... not sure.

jb
03-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Ya, that's why it only has 70K on it, about 5K a year for the 6 months it gets driven.
I looked at the new Z4 or maybe they'll be Z5, but $80,000 is well above my pay grade.
I paid just under $40 grand for my 03 and I thought that was a lot of money, until I bought my 2012 Ford Expedition, sticker on that was $54K.
I bet Muddy paid somewhere in the 60's for that new F150 . I think you can finance a new car for 10 years now.
Long way from when I bought my new 67 HP Mustang Convert. for $3500 out the door.
https://i.imgur.com/Y60LmGD.jpg

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Bubba, I'd still take that 67 Mustang over any of the cars mentioned in this thread.

jb
03-07-2018, 02:29 PM
CD, I would too. :thumbsup

Hombre
03-07-2018, 06:18 PM
JB I've always wanted a Vette. Did you hear that they are coming out with a mid-engine Vette? I doubt that means more room but excited to see what they come out with.

Captain
03-07-2018, 06:37 PM
CD, I would too. :thumbsup

Me three!

Thumper
03-07-2018, 07:23 PM
When I was REAL little, my dad had a 1953 Corvette. I barely remember it, but some of the details will be ingrained in my memory forever! I once asked him why he sold it, and he replied, "To buy a danged STATION WAGON to haul all'o you kids around!" The AVERAGE price of a '53 model these days is $225,000! If you get up into the concours level, you can figure $350,000 - $400,000! If dad had only known! :(

Odd, but MY first (personal) Corvette was a brand new 1993 model ... the 40th Anniversary Edition. I financed it with a 60-month loan and as soon as it was paid off, I traded it for a '98 model. I had it up to 167 mph once ... and only once! :hair

The mid-engine model should be fun, but 'Vettes are out of my system (AND budget) these days. :(

Big Muddy
03-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Good story, Thump.....but, my eyeballs couldn't help darting back to, """"When I was REAL little......"""".....;)