PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Build

LJ3
03-27-2018, 09:39 AM
So, I'm building my first AR rifle. Some ex-lawman pointed me toward Palmetto Armory as having good stuff and good prices so I took the plunge. I ordered a fully assembled upper w/open sights, bolt and charging handle and a fully built lower that I'm still waiting on.

I got a scope that I'm not sure I'm gonna stick with. Its a 3x green/red dot deal with reticle. It's cool, but not sure what I want.

I was talking to a dude at my local gun shop that's doing my FFL for me and he suggested getting a simple 1x red dot and lining it up with my open sights so the red dot sits directly on top of my open sight bead. That sounds more like what I want to do. To use the open sights, you're actualy looking right thru the red dot.

Anyone looked at that or had a different experience with AR optics?

Booger
03-27-2018, 10:13 AM
So, I'm building my first AR rifle. Some ex-lawman pointed me toward Palmetto Armory as having good stuff and good prices so I took the plunge. I ordered a fully assembled upper w/open sights, bolt and charging handle and a fully built lower that I'm still waiting on.

I got a scope that I'm not sure I'm gonna stick with. Its a 3x green/red dot deal with reticle. It's cool, but not sure what I want.

I was talking to a dude at my local gun shop that's doing my FFL for me and he suggested getting a simple 1x red dot and lining it up with my open sights so the red dot sits directly on top of my open sight bead. That sounds more like what I want to do. To use the open sights, you're actualy looking right thru the red dot.

Anyone looked at that or had a different experience with AR optics?It's called cowitness sights. Good practice as it lets u use same mount/hold and sight picture. If battery dies or u have no time to turn it on, no problem. The biggest advantage I have found using 1x scope or red dot is u can shoot with both eyes open and it is THE SHIT for hitting moving targets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2018, 03:25 PM
You need to get that lower delivered tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
03-27-2018, 03:48 PM
It just shipped today :( Fuckers.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2018, 04:10 PM
It's called cowitness sights. Good practice as it lets u use same mount/hold and sight picture. If battery dies or u have no time to turn it on, no problem. The biggest advantage I have found using 1x scope or red dot is u can shoot with both eyes open and it is THE SHIT for hitting moving targets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sumbitch. You learn something new every day around here.

BKB

Booger
03-27-2018, 04:33 PM
A red dot or scope with any power greater than 1x presents a different view to each eye. 1x reddot lets u see the same view with both eyes open, but there is a red dot floating out there that will be where your round impacts. We put cardboard targets on tires and rolled them down a hill. With 1x reddot you can eat that fucker up as it flys by. Tried it with a 3-9 on 4x and could not hit shit.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Booger
03-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Some guys in 3 gun competition have a variable power scope on a mount just like any other rig for precise work at longer ranges. Then they put a 1x red dot on a mount 45 degrees to the side. By simply rotating the AR 45 degrees on the shoulder u have that for close, fast targets. I'll try to find a link with an example. Pretty cool setup....

Booger
03-27-2018, 04:43 PM
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-rt45-offset-mount

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2018, 04:57 PM
That’s as slick as a pocket on a t-shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booger
03-27-2018, 05:08 PM
If u go with this setup forget the cowitness deal. U would need to use folding/flipup front and rear iron sites if u used irons at all. With both scope and reddot not really any reason to have irons.

Trav
03-27-2018, 08:33 PM
I have a Burris MTAC 1-4x24 with a Burris FastFire 3

LJ3
03-27-2018, 10:36 PM
Dude was showing me the red dot with the flip over magnifier too. Cool setup but I’m trying to keep my first one cheap.

Trav, I can’t tell from the picture. Is your red dot mounted on top of your scope?

LJ3
03-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Never mind. The second image just showed up on my phone

Trav
03-27-2018, 11:14 PM
You can generally find that set up for $499 all in or if you already have a scope just buy the FastFire 3 ($200ish) and the P.E.P.R mount ($100ish)

LJ3
04-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Finally got the upper and lower and went with a 1x reddot. Gonna set it up with cowitness deal after I get everything cleaned up and put together. After shooting an AR pistol this weekend, I think I know what I'd get next if I keep getting in to the black scary guns with full semi-auto.

jb
04-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Back 7 years ago I went old school, Colt HBAR with Redfield 4x12 tactical.
Set up for varmints, not zombies, can not get use to a Redot, still fun to shoot.
One thing for sure, the price of AR's and/or their components sure have dropped.
https://i.imgur.com/V1VSpLa.jpg

Trav
04-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Back 7 years ago I went old school, Colt HBAR with Redfield 4x12 tactical.
Set up for varmints, not zombies, can not get use to a Redot, still fun to shoot.
One thing for sure, the price of AR's and/or their components sure have dropped.
https://i.imgur.com/V1VSpLa.jpg

Same mount I have on my Springfield Saint, my Bushmaster has a Colt mount.

LJ3
04-06-2018, 10:59 AM
all done! for now...

Went with a 1X red dot and absolute cowitness site setup. Now just need to sight her in, give her a name and go have fun!

All in, with optics for under $700 and could have done it significantly cheaper but got a higher end upper this time around. I may do an AR pistol w/ iron sights next.

Thumper
04-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Odd, I've just never been into mil. style weapons. I guess I'm old school and love beautifully grained hardwood stocks with a nicely blued barrel. Heck, there was a time when I was REQUIRED to carry an M16 ... the last thing I'd want is to own a lookalike wannabe. ;)

That said, I can appreciate the fact that if that's what floats your boat, you should have all the right in the world to own one and dress it up to make it all purty-like. ;)

Now, GET OFF MY GRASS and leave me alone! I'm gonna hit the recliner and finish reading my new book ... "Curmudgeoness - 101". :D

LJ3
04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Um, I'd expect you to be teach the 704 class at this point.

Thumper
04-06-2018, 01:03 PM
BITE ME!!

Respectfully,
Thump

LJ3
04-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Odd, I've just never been into mil. style weapons. I guess I'm old school and love beautifully grained hardwood stocks with a nicely blued barrel. Heck, there was a time when I was REQUIRED to carry an M16 ... the last thing I'd want is to own a lookalike wannabe. ;)

It's funny Jimbo. I had the opposite reaction. I started watching an AR video since I figured I'd be on a learning curve for breakdown/cleaning. After 30 seconds I realized, "hey! this is an M16, I'm golden! I use ta could field strip them blindfolded, literally"

Thumper
04-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Yessir, I can remember when part of our training was to field strip an M-14 blindfolded (we'd have competitions between platoons). When I went through training with the M16, we probably did the same, I just don't remember it.