PDA

View Full Version : Posthole!

LJ3
03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Since I know you've eaten both, I'll axe you right'chere.

What's better table fare? Freshly fried crappie from some southern lake? Freshly fried walleye from pristine canuckian waters?

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2018, 10:55 AM
No contest.

BKB

Penguin
03-27-2018, 11:00 AM
No contest.

BKB

True. Posty is right.

Crappie ain't even the best tasting panfish... let alone trying to make comparisons to the king of northern table fare. Although I am not Posty so take if for what it's worth.

Will

PS: I also like northern pike so maybe my taste buds are a bit unusual. :)

Thumper
03-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Well, I just voted and see it's 100% so far. Put it this way ... I'm not a huge fan of fish TBH. BUT ... when in Canada, I can eat walleye for breakfast, lunch and supper. (and did persactly that many times while out in the bush bear hunting).

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Its is kinda like asking which you prefer though: blondes, brunettes, or redheads.

BKB

quercus alba
03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
never had walleye so I had to go with what I know. I do know that deep cold water fish taste better so I can't argue the point

Thumper
03-27-2018, 01:04 PM
never had walleye so I had to go with what I know. I do know that deep cold water fish taste better so I can't argue the point

Now the poll is askew,

All because of you. ;)

HideHunter
03-27-2018, 01:24 PM
I agree with penguin.. You should have stuck with two choices, if you were going "there".. You picked the two "least"- flavored fish in existence.. People who like only crappie and walleye don't like fish.. they like breading.. Bluegill on the "south" side and The Great Northern Pike up north.. ;)

quercus alba
03-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Being a southern perch jerking connoisseur of renown in some circles, I can respectfully disagree with Gene. In the words of my old mentor Rancid Crabtree, "smoked carp is just as good as smoked salmon if you don't have any smoked salmon."

While I like bluegill and white perch immensely, whatever is on my plate is the best at that particular moment. If pike taste like their smaller cousin the jack fish, they are indeed fine table fare

Arty
03-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Never had walleye, so I picked crappie. And that’s only cause striper wasn’t listed.

Trav
03-27-2018, 08:56 PM
I went with Walleye but it was close Wahoo and fried grouper are right up there.

Big Muddy
03-27-2018, 09:17 PM
Ya’ll are ALL wrong.....absolutely nothing compares to a 1/2 pound fiddler catfish, deep-fried whole in peanut oil !!! ;)

Oh yeah, gotta have a BIG slab of vidalia onion on the side. ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2018, 09:59 PM
I’ve only had walleye once, but it was darn good eats. As a general rule, I prefer salt water fish for the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy
03-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Best tasting fresh water fish by far, IMHO, is the yellow perch. Catch a few big humpies like BS has posted and you have the making of a serious fish dinner. Walleye a close second but perch is a more tasty, sweeter meat.

Salt water and from my area, I'd go with ling cod first then any of the rock fish species then halibut last. People rave about halibut but I find them too easy to overcook then they are dry and tastless. HATE salmon - greasy, nasty things.

jb
03-29-2018, 03:59 PM
I have to agree with johnboy, fresh water yellow perch, (caught through the ice makes them even better), then walleye, Great Lakes salmon are a distant 3rd.
When down south in Thumpers territory, I really like blacken grouper, flounder, or snapper.