PDA

View Full Version : Well, the results came in last week ...

Thumper
04-01-2018, 09:28 PM
... from the ancestry DNA kit Lynn gave me for my birthday. Our family never really seemed that interested in our history and about all I know is, when I was a kid, my (paternal) grandmother told me her family was Dutch and my grandfather's family was German. On my mom's side, I don't think I ever even asked. I never knew that grandfather. He was walking and was run over and killed by a truck when I was 6-mos. old. All I know is, my grandmother was from Georgia! ;)

Maybe I should ask my last remaining uncle on that side of the family and see if he can shed some light on the lineage there. I doubt if my mom would be any help. The other day I was talking about the house we lived in in Tulsa and she insisted we'd never lived in Tulsa! :slaphead

Anyway, without getting into the bazillion details the test brought out, here's the gist of it. I have no clue how accurate it is really, but I'll roll with it. Kind'a your basic, everyday Northwestern European with no shocking surprises thrown in. (pretty boring results actually)

You most likely had a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent who was 100% British & Irish. This person was likely born between 1860 and 1920.

You most likely had a grandparent, great-grandparent, or second-great-grandparent who was 100% French & German. This person was likely born between 1830 and 1890.

You most likely had a second-great-grandparent, third-great-grandparent, fourth-great-grandparent, or fifth-great-grandparent who was 100% Scandinavian. This person was likely born between 1740 and 1830.

Note: I may have to change my avatar. :(

Your Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than 4% of your overall DNA.

jb
04-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Well at least we now know you're not alien.
Wife and I got ours back about a week ago. She was always told English/German, but it came back 55% Scandinavia, 22% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, then a mix of South & West Europe, and the Iberian Peninsula.
I have a cousin, who is a College Professor, that tracked out family back into the 16th Century, mostly Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands.
Mine came back 38% West Europe, (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium), then 31% Scandinavia, and 29% Great Britain.
Interesting chit, always wonder how accurate though.

LJ3
04-02-2018, 09:23 AM
I was gonna guess half punkin'.

Chicken Dinner
04-02-2018, 11:57 AM
It’s fairly common for people whose ancestors came here from Britain to have a significant amount of Scandinavian DNA due to the Viking conquests back in the day. They basically mixed in with the native Britain’s, Irish, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2018, 12:10 PM
And don’t forget the ever loving Celts! They were everywhere at one time.

BKB

quercus alba
04-02-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm not real sure about the accuracy of those tests.