PDA

View Full Version : Four wheeler question

Buckrub
01-19-2013, 06:32 PM
I took my 2006 Suzuki King Quad 700 to my independent mechanic yesterday. I'm about to go on the big annual mud slog the first weekend in February, and the brakes have been 'locking up' sorta when I stop and then start up again.

He couldn't find anything wrong with the brakes. Minor inconvenience anyway.

However..........I had him do service (plug, oil change, etc)......and he said "Did you know you only have about a cup of oil left in the oil pan?"

WTFO???? WHOA..

No, I didn't know that. It had been running ok.........a little sluggish, but nothing major.... and no, I didn't check the oil during the season. I had had it changed a year before, and just chalk it up to laziness, whatever, but I did not check it. You have to take off a plastic side panel to check the oil (a stupid design) and I just didn't do it.

So, I assume it's using the heck out of oil. I dunno why. It has about 1,400 miles on it. It seems to run fine, generally.

Now I'm wondering if the guy that sold it to me in 2011 was offloading a lemon, or if I've done something to it, or what.

Ideas? Anything I can do, short of checking more often and keeping oil in it?

One other thing.....I asked him if he cleaned the air filter, and he said "As best I could....it's a paper filter and you might look at getting another one". I checked online and a K&NB Filter is a blasted $65.00!!! What's up with that?

LW
01-19-2013, 07:11 PM
I would check it regularly and see what happens. I do all my own service stuff. That way I dont have to wonder if the service guy put the right amount of oil in it. I care more about my stuff than the best service tech on the planet does. I would use air to clean that filter and move on. All these problems go away if you buy honda. Really they do. I have friends that use my shop to do their maintenance in and they own most major brands. Honda is the easiest to work on.

jb
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I've gotten used to checking my oil again. Can't tell you the last car/truck I've had that used oil, but my 08 GMC pick-up uses about a qt. every 2000 miles. No drips, no blue smoke, just down a qt. every 2000 miles then again at my 4000 mile LOF.
This time instead of oil I put a qt. of Lucas, we'll see what happens.
Truck manual mentions the chance of oil consumption and states a qt. every 2000 miles is considered normal. WRONG

Thumper
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Hmmm, one of these days you dufes are gonna start listening. Before you bought that Suzuki I had ONE word for you .... HONDA.

'Course that goes for Bubba also ... HIS word is TOYOTA.

Such simple answers ... but, what's that old sayin? Sumpin' like, "You can lead a horse to water, but .....". ;)

Niner
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
700....as in 700cc ???
Holey catshit, that is either a huge fourwheeler...or it has been a looong time since I was in a bike shop.....or both.

Since I can't shift gears in my 300 Honda, I've taken to riding jacked up golf carts. :(

If it was me, I'd check the oil before using it and just see what happens.

Buckrub
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, 700 cc. Automatic, all that.

We've had this discussion forever, on ATV's and trucks, both.

First, I didn't set out to buy another Suzuki. Mine went almost kaput after 14 years of great service, btw, and my buddy found this one, used, sitting in front of his church for sale. Otherwise I'd not have known about it. It was a good deal and solved my wheely problems. Saved me a ton over buying a new one.

And I've never said Honda wasn't the most maintenance free ATV. I've never said Toyota wasn't the most maintenance free truck. I suspect statistically they are.

But in every single functionality category that ATV magazine, and others, rate ATV's, Honda comes in last......except maintenance. In any comparison of equal cc bikes, honda is last in torque, last in speed, last in rider comfort, last in pulling capacity, last in everything. I don't know why they keep selling, but I guess folks like bikes that do less and last forever, I dunno. Now, if I was using it like some folks do, barely driving it, no mud, no pulling trailers, go nowhere a winch is needed, etc etc....I'd buy a Honda in a minute.

I will just run it and keep checking oil, and carry some oil with me. Somehow, these things (regardless of brand) amaze me with what they will do. I've been places in the last year that I could not have even walked to........and gone with ease. They will run with a cup of oil (obviously!!) and 2 lbs of air in a tire. They take a licking and keep on ticking, all of 'em. Cars should take a lesson.

Thumper
01-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Now, if I was using it (to) ..... go nowhere a winch is needed ...... I'd buy a Honda in a minute.

True ... if you had a Honda, you wouldn't NEED a winch! :D

Just razzin' ya'. You KNOW I couldn't simply sit here and sit on my hands to keep 'em off the keyboard. ;)

I have to admit .. years ago I never left the driveway without checking my oil. "Back in the day" (cars) were expected to "use" a quart of oil every 1000-3000 miles. Nowadays, not so much. Every vehicle (car/truck/atv) I've owned in the last 30+ years has never used a drop between oil changes and I simply got out of the habit of checking my oil. To be honest, if I opened the hood of either of our cars, I'd most likely have to search for the dipstick!

Buckrub
01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Good one.

I never, ever, said I wouldn't buy a Honda, OR a Toyota. I just haven't found one that's best all around for my needs. If this wheely sitting on side of road was right size, right price, etc., and had been a Honda I'd have bought it in a minute. If you remember, I was bidding on three different Honda ATV's at that auction site...........

But thanks for responding.......

Buckrub
01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Thump, here's a guy on another forum and his comments about a Ranger. I have no idea, just passing them on, thought you might find them interesting. Note how he admits the Honda is "reliable".

I have owned a Big Red until about 3 weeks ago. I test drove a Ranger 900 and couldn't believe how much quieter it was than my Big Red. It also has 60 horse power compared to Big Red at about 40. It rides much smoother than my Big Red as well.

The new transmission system is really sharp. One wheel drive to prevent the outside wheel tearing up the grass when you use it on your lawn. Two wheel with limited slip for most other occasions and 4WD when needed....all with the flip of a switch instead of the clunky sometimes hard to engage Honda tranny.

I hunt in the bottoms and had my Big Red fail me after running through water that was not over the tires! When I took it in they said it was not designed for that. They said if you splashed water under the front hood the electronic ignition would fail as mine did. (Had to walk 7 miles back to camp!).

Other than that one problem my Big Red was pretty reliable. However it is a much less sophisticated vehicle than the Ranger IMO. Test drive a Ranger 900 XP and then a Big Red and make up your own mind but I bet you will be surprised.