PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about Smithey Cast Iron?

BarryBobPosthole
04-08-2018, 08:41 AM
I’d never heard of it until this morning. $200 for a 12” skillet?

Thumper have you seen any of these pieces in your ramblings?

BKB

Thumper
04-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Never seen one, but heard about them while reading a blog on vintage iron. I think it's cool that they are going old school and producing their product like the vintage stuff was made. I also like that it's USA made from recycled iron. There are a few other CI producers who are duplicating the old school methods these days ... I think they're referred to as 'boutique' CI makers (or sumpin' like that). But, personally, I'm not sure I could justify their prices unless you'd want a piece for the Yuppie factor. Maybe the major difference is, I'm not a cook. From the outside looking in, I can't understand why anybody would go that route. I may be wrong, but here's MY thinking on the subject. The old CI makers also made unmarked pieces for hardware stores, general stores, department stores ... that sort of thing. I guess the modern day equivalent would be what we call "generic". It's the same persact stuff, without the name in the casting. If you're more interested in the practical value than the collector value, why not go with unmarked vintage stuff? It's a LOT cheaper and is actually what the modern boutique CI producers are attempting to duplicate anydamnway. There are TONS of unmarked Wagners out there that (IMHO) would be the smarter way to go. But, as I say, I'm no expert, I just like hunting for the stuff and trying to make a buck or two by flipping it. BTW, I'm due for another sell-off here. I'm kind of a CI whore and can't pass up buying the stuff ... marked OR unmarked. I just had a big sell-off a few months back, but I'm prolly back up to 50-60 pieces here. I ain't trying to sell you anything ... 95% of my stuff ain't the purtiest CI in the world and needs cleaning/seasoning, so it won't fit the "take it out'ta the box and cook with it" mold. Just sayin'.

BUT ... I've learned that dealing with CI lovers, many times it's like cars. You have the Chevy vs. Ford crowd. You also have the practical vs. Yuppie crowd, etc, etc. Like cars .... a 2019 Blitzmobile and a well maintained, decent running 1989 hooptie will get you from A to Z ... it all depends on how good you wanna look while getting there. ;)

Bottom line ... if you just want a nice piece of CI to cook with and won't break the bank, why not go with vintage, unmarked iron?

Booger
04-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Thump, when Angies Grandma died everybody was dividing up her stuff. All I wanted was one of her old cast iron frying pans. Didn't get one. I am not looking for a name brand collectible. If u have a good, average size fry pan, deep sides would be nice, I'll take one. Unmarked or not. Don't care. Let me how much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thumper
04-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Boogyman, I'm planning on getting all that stuff together and digging through it sometime this week. A few details ... by "average size and deep sides" ... are you talking like about a No. 8 chicken fryer maybe? Or does it need to be that deep? Lid, no lid? Note: Lids are harder to come by and can double the price of a skillet. Heat ring, no heat ring, or no preference? What do you want to cook on? Warpage is a major factor with CI. If you cook on a glass flat-top, ANY warpage wouldn't work. A campfire, who cares? A gas range or even a coil type electric stove would usually work with a slight amount of warpage. There are a lot of variables, obviously.

I have a bazillion skillets here, all sizes, from marked/unmarked Wagners, to marked Grizwolds. I have quite a few lids for various skillets as well as dutch ovens with or w/o lids. I even have an old Griz waffle maker sitting here! ;)

Booger
04-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Okay, let's say the chicken fryer. I don't care if it has a heat ring or not. I don't care who makes it. As long as it's not a cheap ass Lodge or something like that. I don't need a lid. I'm going to cook with it that's all. I cook on a smooth top electric range. I'll be cooking fried chicken, and stuff that I can go from stovetop to oven.

Booger
04-08-2018, 01:37 PM
I already have a three-legged Dutch oven. Let me measure the lid on it and maybe you can find me a frying pan that the lid will fit on.