PDA

View Full Version : Wine drinkers

jb
04-09-2018, 05:18 PM
OK, wife would like me to start drinking a little red wine for dinner, says it's good for my health.
She enjoys wine and orders it when we go out and also enjoys a glass while she prepares dinner. She likes both red and white.
Now, my fine wind tastes goes back to my college days, enjoyed large quantities of Boones Farm, Annie Green Springs and MadDog 2020, for some reason, even though she shared those wonderful wines with me back then, she doesn't recognize those as suitable today.
So whats a good red wine, don't like it very dry, needs a little flavor, and a little sweetness. Right now drinking some Merlot, but know there are better ones out there.

johnboy
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Lots of great wines out there so you will need to do a little experimenting till you find your preference. One that has taken my fancy lately is Apothic Red - full bodied, not too dry and with lots of berry overtones. Good stuff and not expensive. https://www.apothic.com/wines/red

Try a buncha different vinos and see where it takes you. Cost is not always a factor in a good drinking plonk.

Thumper
04-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Wow Bubba! I could cut & paste your post under my own moniker and it would be a word for word match for my situation. Lynn loves wine and one of the first things she does when she gets home from work, is pour herself a glass of wine. Then she'll have another (or maybe a couple) while she cooks dinner. Like you, my experience with wine consists of my college days experiences with Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, AGS and maybe Ripple from time to time. Lynn has tried dozens of times to educate me and we've experimented with wines she thinks I might like, but I just can't get into it. I can drink a glass, but that doesn't mean I'm really enjoying it. If we happen to go out and it's Happy Hour, or a 2-for-1 type promotion, we both get a glass and I shove mine over to her when she finishes hers. We've also been to quite a few wine tastings and visited a bunch of vineyards in NAPA Valley, etc. ... but it's just not my thing.

We were in Italy last year and our first dinner in Venice came with two complimentary glasses of wine. I tried a sip, then did the usual, waited until she finished hers, then switched glasses with her. We went to a nice winery in Greece and did a lot of tasting there, but I found nothing that really made me want to become a wine drinker. That said, I love a good Sangria ... if that counts. ;)

Trav
04-09-2018, 07:43 PM
You could try a nice Lambrusco, sounds like that would be right up your alley. I like Lambrusco di Sorbara DOC.

Chicken Dinner
04-09-2018, 08:04 PM
I’m definitely no expert, but do drink it fairly frequently. I think John is onto something when recommending a blend as they tend to be more enjoyable for those of us who aren’t “experts”. Based on what you’ve said, I would definitely avoid Cabernet Sauvignon and even Malbecs (which I love with grilled beef). They tend to be fairly dry and have strong bold flavors. Merlots are generally a little milder as are Pinot Noirs. Now that I think of it, maybe try a Shiraz. They tend to be lighter and have fruit notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-09-2018, 08:05 PM
I likes me some red wine. Its always a toss up whether its a glass or red or a beer when we have steak.

I’m a fan of chianti and about the best I can afford is Ruffino. I also like malbecs. Got hooked on those in BA. You’ll have to sample one or two around your area.

Careful with the wine. It can cause chafing.

BKB

LJ3
04-09-2018, 08:14 PM
I like Shiraz, Malbecs and Pinot noirs mostly. Don’t drink it a ton but sometimes all I can think of with a nice steak is a good glass of red. They go together like peas and carrots

Trav
04-09-2018, 08:25 PM
I love a good Malbec, got hooked on them when I was working in Buenos Aires.

quercus alba
04-10-2018, 08:17 AM
I have no idea what any of that means. In my younger days I drank a little beer but nothing more. My last drink was Halloween night 1978.

All this time I thought Merlot was King Authur's magician

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy
04-10-2018, 12:37 PM
The Missus and I both enjoy vino and drink it pretty much every night with supper. She prefers white and I prefer red so we usually have a good selection around. What I have found over the years is that price is not always an indicator of a good drinking wine. Some amazing wines can be had for under $10 (probably cheaper down your way).

Blended wines are a good way to get started as they will usually take the best characteristics of a few varietals to produce an easy drinking, tasty brew. Buy a few bottles and try them out till you find the one that best suits your particular pallet. Everybody is different in what they like/don't like so you gotta experiment. Sounds like a great project to me so have some fun.