PDA

View Full Version : And thus ends my NFL season

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't like the Harbaughs, can't stand the 49er's, and I'm not interested in hearing a criminal spit scriptures at me. so ESPN can have their all-Harbaugh Super Bowl just like they wanted. IT ought to make good fodder for lots of stories.

On to baseball! And college BBball. and maybe even some bandwagoning on the Thunder!

BKB

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Me too. I'll be at the annual mudfest that weekend anyway. And we are actually going to seriously set up to shoot some hogs, too.

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I hope y'all kill every one of those bastards. I still don't know why people continue to release hogs like they do.

And make sure to take your tow strap!

BKB

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
This is my old camp, the one you have to REALLY want to get to, to get to. And it's flooded now, according to the online gauge. Maybe it'll go down by then enough we can get there. I got tired of my wide tires slinging mud all over me, so I sold them and bought narrower and taller ones.....came out ok on the deal, but hopefully will be a lot cleaner in the mud that will be there that weekend. The other 'issue' is that we usually go en masse and find a clearcut and shoot up the world at cans and stuff.........but with bullets being impossible to find, and a thousand dollars a box, not sure how many cans I'll be killing this year.

This camp is at the end of a very long logging road, and is a "U" with the Ouachita River surrounding its southern border. Neither deer nor hogs have any way to leave, and they are covered up with both. I forget how many hogs these guys killed during deer season, but it was a lot. (Note to self: I need to get my grinder back from Joe).... We had one little bunch of 'em.

There is a contingent on the Arkansas hunting website that are constantly asking about permission to go hog hunt. The south is overrun with these disastrous animals, and folks are very obviously trapping them and letting them go on land where they like to hog hunt, usually with dogs. If private land, there are no restrictions. The meat is good, contrary to reports, and it is fun, I admit. But the habitat is being destroyed by them. There is probably no answer.

I will say this, and yesterday's outdoor article in the paper was on this very subject, that hogs are ONE reason why you need a HIGH capacity magazine and a semi-automatic (GFR=my new acronym....Gas Fired Repeater, so I won't incorrectly call 'em "automatics") weapon. Fellow I have lunch with sometimes, and one I graduated from high school with, a member of RMEF staff, was quoted about how he and his buddies go to Texas and eradicate whole herds.....but it takes a lot of guys with a lot of fast firepower and a big open field!

And thanks for responding.

Chicken Dinner
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Man, that sounds like a butt load of fun Bucky. Some day, I would sorely love to do some hot hunting. Around here you pretty much have to pay to do it though. And something about that doesn't sit right with me. Rumor has it they're getting closer though...

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Gotta say this map seems in error. But it's all I could find.

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/

I doubt pigs stop at the weird northern Texas border lines any more than weather stops at the US northern border on the Weather Channel website....!!!

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 11:08 AM
There's a ton of them in SE Oklahoma. We have a bunch here too in Osage county where people keep releasing them on big hunting leases. I don't know why. I think they almost HAVE to be hell on turkeys and upland game birds too. anybody who's raised hogs knows they are hell on habitat.
BKB