PDA

View Full Version : Happy Robert E. Lee Day

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
nm

quercus alba
01-21-2013, 10:24 AM
In true southern style of observing this holiday, I'm cooking fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits, creamed corn, purplehull peas and gravy. Of course there will be a smoked hamhock in the peas.

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Let's see.......8:30 a.m......Lewisville is about........um...........

dang. Too far. It'd be gone by then.

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I made a big batch of fried chicken weekend before last, with biscuits and cream gravy and smashed taters. I always make enough to have lunch leftovers for a few days and just finished them up on Wednesday. too bad we can't eat like that all the time!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-21-2013, 11:14 AM
I've got a pot of beans going in the crockpot right now along with the left over ham bone from Christmas. I'm gonna pair it up with a big batch of biscuits and homemade apple/grape jelly. Sitting around the house smelling that simmer all day makes me glad I get to work from home on Federal holidays.

quercus alba
01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Better enjoy the smell now, it may not be so pleasant later

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
You have the cast iron going to day, QA? I've about switched over from using my big old Weber skillet to using the Lodge chicken cookers for mine these days. They don't splatter so awful bad even though I have to get both of them going to make up for the space I have in that old Weber. It would be a lethal weapon in some far western and northeastern states.

and on edit, hell its an old Griswold, not a damned Weber. I've got grillin on the brain.

BKB

quercus alba
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
posthole, we usually use a wok to fry in. myself, I prefer to use an electric skillet. I can control my temperature better on the oil.

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Then I'm afraid you have crossed a line that I cannot step over. I suppose you fry them in soy flour too.

BKB

quercus alba
01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
nope. canola oil and a 50-50 split of wheat/unbleached flourflour

LJ3
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Dang. all the sudden I'm afraid to admit I use an electric skillet, too. My Mom taught me and she a short fat southern Mom... It's GOT to be ok, right?

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
My Mom used one too, and was a heathen. That's why I turned out the way I did, eating teflon particles that got fried into the many fried things she cooked for us in that thing. I don't think it had much teflon on it when she finally threw it away and went back to cooking like a christian in a cast iron pan.

BKB