PDA

View Full Version : It Ain’t Your Father’s Boy Scouts

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2018, 10:58 AM
What do you guys think?

BKB

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/02/boy-scouts-scouts-bsa-girls-joining-cub-scouts/572036002/

Bwana
05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Only read the title, the whole concept is completely dumb. (Sorry for being overly articulate)

Thumper
05-02-2018, 01:08 PM
It sure would make those weekend camping trips a lot more "interesting". ;)

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2018, 01:35 PM
I’ve actually been a Scout Leader for the past 8 years and my oldest son earned his Eagle rank this past fall. So, I’m pretty close to this. The bottom line is I’m not overly concerned. Part of me does question why it’s not okay to have something for just boys. But, the BSA has had coed programs (Ventures and Sea Scouts) for years and the world hasn’t come to an end. My son’s Troop has done coed campouts with an associated Venture group and there is definitely a different vibe when girls are around. It also makes adult leadership more challenging as you have to have both male and female leaders involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
05-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Get woke people. Evolve. Or be shouted down by people who don't agree with you. Racists! Wait... sexists!!! misogynists! Girl haters!!! Why do you hate girls? what's wrong with you?

Part of me is glad I'll be gone in 20 years or so.

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Get woke people. Evolve. Or be shouted down by people who don't agree with you. Racists! Wait... sexists!!! misogynists! Girl haters!!! Why do you hate girls? what's wrong with you?

Part of me is glad I'll be gone in 20 years or so.

You’re coming into your cumudgeon years early, Grasshopper.

BKb

LJ3
05-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Thank you, Sensei!

Arty
05-03-2018, 07:02 AM
I’m mostly bothered by the fact that as a society we feel the need to lump everyone into two categories of boy and girl. Why is there so much pressure to be one or the other?

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I’m mostly bothered by the fact that as a society we feel the need to lump everyone into two categories of boy and girl. Why is there so much pressure to be one or the other?

That’s not very “cisgender” if you...

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2018, 11:38 AM

^^^^^disturber of poop^^^^^^^^

BKB

Penguin
05-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Kind of weird....

I always thought that the thinking behind the Scouts was to have a regimented way for young men to acquire skills, and therefore, self confidence. A way to help them in dealing with the uncertainties that accompany transitioning from boyhood to manhood. Much of which, truth be told, is about sex and mating and finding your place in the world.

Bringing all of that stuff into the campfire is serving the needs of these young men how?

Will

LJ3
05-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Kind of weird....

I always thought that the thinking behind the Scouts was to have a regimented way for young men to acquire skills, and therefore, self confidence. A way to help them in dealing with the uncertainties that accompany transitioning from boyhood to manhood. Much of which, truth be told, is about sex and mating and finding your place in the world.

Bringing all of that stuff into the campfire is serving the needs of these young men how?

Will

I'm right there with you, Will. Hank made a good point about there already being involvement with Girl Scouts with certain events. That makes sense to me and actually helps with what you described above.

I don't understand the end game here unless it's just another moral collapse at the feet of inclusion and tolerance.

Penguin
05-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Hehe.... as Posty commented, that probably means we are both beginning to geez a little bit Len. But just a bit, no more. :)

Will

Thumper
05-08-2018, 06:32 PM

BarryBobPosthole
05-08-2018, 09:13 PM
I was just at my grandson’s award ceremony tonight where he advanced from a Tiger to a Wolf. The community service commitments they learn at an early age, service to God, and the rituals they go through to honor the flag are all forgotten in the discussions about the worthiness of scouting.

And Mike Huckebee can suck my dick.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-09-2018, 06:30 AM
I'm right there with you, Will. Hank made a good point about there already being involvement with Girl Scouts with certain events. That makes sense to me and actually helps with what you described above.

I don't understand the end game here unless it's just another moral collapse at the feet of inclusion and tolerance.

It’s not that the Girl Scouts were already involved. Just that the BSA Venture Scout and Sea Scout programs were already coed. I may be a cynic. (Okay, I am a comic.). But, I think this is mostly a money grab and a little bit of an acknowledgement that they were behind the curve on the gay thing. If/when the LDS Troops pull out of if the BSA, I think it could be something like a 20% loss in membership.

In reality, I don’t think that many girls will join. Those that do will benefit greatly by the leadership skills that BSA teaches. Personally, I didn’t have an issue with have an organization dedicated primarily to the development of young men.

Chicken Dinner
05-09-2018, 06:55 AM
I hadn’t even seen this when I made my last post. But, it’s been known this was probably be coming. I doubt the timing is a coincidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/09/mormon-church-breaks-all-ties-with-boy-scouts-ending-100-year-relationship/

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2018, 07:32 AM
I think my take is very similar. There isn’t a damn thing wrong with an organization dedicated to helping and developing young boys. There also isn’t a damn thing wrong with an organization dedicated to developing young boys and girls. Participation in Scouting is in decline. This is a way to try to maintain their membership numbers IMO, and less as a way to become more ‘progressive’.
Politics is everything nowadays it seems. And Popper’s Paradox seems to be in action.

BKB

Penguin
05-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Interesting link Hank. Thanks for posting it.

There were a lot of Mormons in my home lodge in Madison WI. Very good folks from my experience. But different in some ways than the normal American, and I don't mean that in a degrading or bad way. When you see the Mormons as a whole you are looking at a group of people who are culturally confident. They believe what their scriptures say, they have conviction that their way is a good way, and they aren't big on apologies for what they believe in.

It is reflected in things like the reach of their missionary work, the extent to which community is an active part of their lives, even in things like how many children they have. If they feel like the changes in the Boy Scouts are harmful for their young men they won't hesitate to take action. Nor will they apologize afterward. In some places they have a pretty strong ties to the Masons but I doubt if there are many changes coming down the line that would clash with their beliefs.

Will

airbud7
05-09-2018, 08:43 AM
scouts lose 60% of members to cater to 1%?

Good! Dropping the PC agenda so young boys can grow up to be young men with morals not confused about their identity will only be good for your son...

Who wants a gay scout leader in the first place?

all these queers/gender confused fuckup's taking over.

Thumper
05-09-2018, 09:56 AM
I was a Scout and went through all the phases .. Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts and Explorers. Growing up, we had one day per month at school called "Uniform Day" where all Scouts PROUDLY wore their Scouting uniform to school. But, times have changed. For one, a Scout knife was a part of the uniform and our knife would hang from a hook on our belts. If we'd worn our (full) uniform to school in this day and age, we'd be arrested. Now, this is just speculation, but I believe a kid wearing his Scout uniform to school these days, would most likely be ridiculed ... probably not so much in more rural areas or smaller communities, but in an inner city school, the kid would probably get beat up for being a dork. Times have changed and many of the changes suck big weenies imho. I think much of it is simply political correctness run amok.

As for the "girl thing"? I see some of it as making economic sense, with a bit of P/C ridiculousness thrown in for good measure. I also grew up with the Boys Club of America ... I believe that's now known as the Boys and Girls Club of America. (or is it Girls and Boys Club?) Due to cries of discrimination, women are now allowed into combat in the military. Sorry, but in "my" day (I know, I'm a dinosaur), I'd be a bit nervous having a 110 pound WAC next to me in a fox hole, knowing if I took a hit, I had to depend on her throwing me over her shoulder and carrying me out of there to a MedEvac LZ. Well, heck, we even have his/hers restrooms these days. The list goes on. Welcome to the 21st century.

I did get a bit of a kick out of CD's posted link and read it in it's entirety. It's just another example of changing times, but I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the next to last paragraph.

Reactions to the news were mixed from Mormons who grew up with Scouting ..... Some expressed disappointment .... Others welcomed the news, .... voicing a need to create a new, flexible program to meet the needs of the church.

(The highlight is mine) Flexible? Seriously? ;)

Chicken Dinner
05-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Good! Dropping the PC agenda so young boys can grow up to be young men with morals not confused about their identity will only be good for your son...

In addition to being misinformed, that’s just ignorant. Maybe you should ask yourself why gay people scare you so much?

Thumper
05-09-2018, 11:14 AM
That's called "redneckese". ;)

LJ3
05-09-2018, 12:27 PM

What does being gay have to do with anything? Sometimes I wonder how many lead paint chips you ate in your crib.

Jesus... Read a book, dude.