PDA

View Full Version : Is it my smeller?

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2018, 10:12 AM
We buy a lot of fruit at our house. I’ve noticed lately that its almost impossible to tell if a cantaloupe is ripe by smelling it any more, and the same is with pineapples. Plain old apples are the same way. Peaches too.
WTFO? Have the GMO peoples done took the stink out of ripe fruits?

BKb

quercus alba
05-09-2018, 10:44 AM
I have the same problem, I blame it on Bush

Thumper
05-09-2018, 11:08 AM
I leave that all up to Lynn. She has a super-smeller and mine is fubar from all the chemicals I used to use at work.

I do know, we hardly EVER eat a cantaloupe right after we buy one. She usually lets it set on the kitchen counter for up to a week at times. (I think she does the same with honeydew) I don't know how she does it, but they're always PERFECT when she finally cuts 'em up. I HATE unripened fruit and it pisses me off to get rock hard, tasteless melon served to me in a restaurant.

It's the same with bananas ... they always sit here for a few days after bringing them home from the store.

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2018, 11:26 AM
There was a fruit stand beside the road in Fort Meyers that had the best damn cataloupes you could ever imagine. Every time I went down to sanibel/captiva I’d buy a half dozen or so (they were smaller than the average lopes) and the smell would drive me crazy enough that on the way home I’d have half of them eaten.
Man i wish i knew what variety those were.

BKB

Thumper
05-09-2018, 12:39 PM
We're leaving next week for 5 days in Ft. Myers (one of our favorite weekend spots). As for your favorite cantaloupe, that was probably a Honey Bun. I think there's only one place to get seeds, but they're perfect for small, home gardens. Ya' may want to ask Google where to get the seeds. I have no idea about gardening, but I'd think it's probably past time to plant melon seeds ... but I'm clueless.

Thumper
05-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Had to run errands and just caught a break. Here ya' go P-hole. I'm thinkin' you prolly had the Honey Bun Hybrid.

https://www.burpee.com/fruit/cantaloupe/

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Jim. I ordered some seeds today.

BKB

airbud7
05-09-2018, 08:42 PM
sugar seems a lot stronger now...I only use about 10oz in a gallon of sweet tea now and it's good enough sweet.

used to be 16oz or more.

quercus alba
05-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Airbud, that's just semi sweet tea you're making. Two cups to a gallon is getting close tho

airbud7
05-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Airbud, that's just semi sweet tea you're making. Two cups to a gallon is getting close tho

Man I love sweet tea!

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-paatz/products/1945/images/3141/IceTea__75994.1426700758.600.600.jpg?c=2