PDA

View Full Version : Work Gloves....

Penguin
06-02-2018, 07:21 AM
I must confess that I had never worn out a pair of work gloves prior to buying the farm. Not that I never worked hard, I just usually lost one of a pair. That happens when your work isn't steady I guess.

Since moving here almost 6 months ago, I am now on my 4th pair. Between the chain saw, splitting maul, rototiller, hammer, weed whacker, etc. I have been eating them up.

I also never had a pair that fit. Until yesterday. Usually I get Wells Lamont XL size and then soak them in water and wear them until they dry out and stretch out enough to get by. But they fit badly and aren't comfortable.

Yesterday I was picking up some e-fence supplies at the hardware store and saw a Kinco glove display with my favorites the hog leather and cloth cuff ones. Lo and behold they slid right on fit perfectly. It was nirvana I tell you.

Kinco is at least one size bigger than WL. And all these years I been wearing ill fitting gloves needlessly! So heads up to any of you with the same problem. Try them and you won't regret it.

Will

Thumper
06-02-2018, 10:34 AM
When I was working, I wore work gloves quite often, but never really thought about buying a quality pair. I'd usually pick up a 12-pack of leather work gloves at Sam's Club. They were low quality leather and wore out rapidly under heavy use, but for the price, I considered them "disposable" and didn't cry if I lost one. (I think the average price was about $2/pair in a 10 or 12-pack, can't remember persactly) I don't remember the brand name, but it really doesn't matter, they looked like the stereotypical "railroad" gloves. But you're right, a pair of gloves would last me about as long as a roll of toilet paper. ;)

Like these ... definitely not a quality glove for hard work, but worked fine for my needs.

BarryBobPosthole
06-02-2018, 11:55 AM
white Mules!

BKB

quercus alba
06-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Work? Gloves? WORK? Gloves?

I'm sorry but that does not compute. And quit using all those dirty words on here (chain saw, splitting maul, rototiller, hammer, weed whacker)

I subscribe to the Maynard G. Krebs philosophy

Thumper
06-02-2018, 05:34 PM
I subscribe to the Maynard G. Krebs philosophy

WORK!!!??? ;)

Thumper
06-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Funny Thump story Q/A. I think I was about 10 years old and every year Jerry Lewis would have a telethon for Muscular Dystrophy. The show would air on TV stations all over the country for 24 hours (?). Anyway, local stations would hold their own telethon for local contributions and I think the TV coverage would switch back and forth between local coverage and the National coverage with Jerry Lewis. The local station in Orlando would cover the event from the Convention Center (I think it was just called The Orlando Auditorium or something like that back in the day). Anyway, the local telethon would collect money and the running total would be transmitted to the main telethon (in New York I think?). I went around the neighborhood and collected something like $200 and took it down to the auditorium that afternoon to contribute. They'd have a few stars drop in and out during the telethon and when I went to dump my money into the big bin they had set up, Maynard G. Krebs was there to greet me! I was a huge Dobie Gillis fan at the time, so it was super cool! Somebody had tipped him off to my name and he made a joke about us being cousins (Krebs/Kribbs). He then asked me where I came up with all that money and I told him how I'd walked all over the neighborhood collecting donations. Somewhere in there I mentioned that is was a lot of work ... and you guessed it ... he got all wide-eyed and hollered WORK!!!!???? It cracked me up! I used to have his autograph, but I have no clue what ever happened to it. I've moved a few times since I was 10. ;)

Penguin
06-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Ha! Never knew who Maynard Krebs was. He'd be in bad shape following me around nowadays. Oh, I forgot "shovel". 20 ton of gravel on my driveway to get it back in shape. :)

I wish I could wear those you guys mentioned. Just too small. Glove sizes must be like women's clothes sizes. Kind of just make it up as you go. I measured for a set of 70 buck Seal Skinz last year. They said top end of XL. They came in too small.

Maybe men don't want to have small hands? Shrug...

Will

Thumper
06-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Ha! Never knew who Maynard Krebs was. Will

No, no, no .... it's Maynard G. Krebs! ;)

Yep, I have huge hands myownfineself and ill-fitting gloves has always been a problem for me. Luckily, I don't ever wear gloves for long periods of time and just live with it. When I do need to put a pair on, even if I've already worn them many times, OJ's jurors would swear they aren't mine if they watched me forcing them onto my hands! ;)

Maybe men don't want to have small hands?

I don't know ... the POTUS has small hands .... just ask Little Marco. ;)

Thumper
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Ol' Maynard definitely had an aversion to "work". Just the word scared him! :D

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J-_AfPw7C9M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TgecgpCfAYo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>