PDA

View Full Version : Do youse guise remember any of these?

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Got this from Fido...........who, rumor has it, is actually older than I am!

And I still HAVE a 'ice box'
and I used a TON of butch wax!

> Remember? I remember them all!!!!
>
>
>
>
>
> 
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Well it is now a fact! I am "older than dirt"!!!!
>
> THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS ...
>
> 'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
>
> 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'
>
>
>
> 'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
>
> 'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !
>
> 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat
>
> down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my
>
> plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
>
>
> By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was
>
> afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the
>
> part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
>
> But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his
>
> system could have handled it :

> Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never woreLevis, never set foot on a golf
>
> course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had
>
> something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck.
>
> Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.
>
>
> My parents never drove me to soccer practice.. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer... I had a bicycle that weighed
>
> probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 16.
>
> It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at
>
> about 6 a..m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.
>
>
> I was 21 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned
>
> the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.
>
>
> I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before
>
> you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
>
> Pizzas were not delivered to our home but milk was.
>
> All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --
>
> It cost 7 cents a paper, and they got to keep 2 cents. They had to get up at 6AM
>
> every morning. On Saturday, they had to collect the 42 cents from their customers. Their favorite customers
>
> were the ones who gave them 50 cents and told them to keep the change. Their least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on
>
> collection day.
>
> Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings
>
> because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.
>
>
> If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren Just don't blame me
>
> if they bust a gut laughing.
>
>
>
>
> Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
>
> MEMORIES from a friend :
>
> My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December)
>
> and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a
>
> stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my
>
> daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or
>
> something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't

> How many do you remember?

> Head lights
> dimmer switches on the floor.
> Ignition switches on the dashboard.
> Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
> Real ice boxes.
> Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
> Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
> Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
>
> Older Than Dirt Quiz :
>
> Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
>
> Ratings at the bottom.
>

> 1. Blackjack chewing gum
> 2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
> 3. Candy cigarettes
> 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
> 5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes
> 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
> 7. Party lines on the telephone
> 8 Newsreels before the movie
> 9. P.F. Flyers
> 10. Butch wax
> 11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the
> last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there
> were only 3 channels...[if you were fortunate])
> 12. Peashooters
> 13. Howdy Doody
> 14. 45 RPM records
> 15.S&H greenstamps
> 16. Hi-fi's
> 17. Metal ice trays with lever
> 18. Mimeograph paper
> 19. Blue flashbulb
> 20. Packards
> 21. Roller skate keys
> 22. Cork popguns
> 23. Drive-ins
> 24. Studebakers
> 25. Wash tub wringers
>
>
>
> If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
>
>
> If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
>
>
> If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age
>
>
> If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!
>
>
> I might be older than dirt but those memories are
>
> some of the best parts of my life.
>
>
And I'll add:

Mrs. White's Bluing
Sanforized blue jeans
UNsanforized blue jeans (you bought a size bigger, put them on, jumped in the pond, went home and took them off, stood them in the corner to dry, and wore them without washing forever
Uncurled phone cords
Heck, PHONE CORDS of any kind
TV coming over the air, and phones over wires (now it's opposite)
cars without head rests OR seat belts
I could go on all day!

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
I remember most of that stuff. We didn't live in town but a little while so we never got milk delivery. and I wouldn't wear PF Flyers. They were gay. Nothing but Chuck Taylor All Stars for me. Double knee jeans with big old shiny iron on patches on the knees that didn't match the rest of the fade on the jeans. My grandpa's truck had a floor starter. You did turn the key on, but it was just an on off switch. We had a soldering iron tip that went on a propane torch but that was for plumbing I thought. Maybe not. You certainly couldn't solder anything fine with it if it was. It was huge.

Why you making me feel so old?
BKB

Buckrub
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Blame Fido.

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Heck, Fido is old enough to remember Fada TV's.

BKB

Big Skyz
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I ain't saying just how many of those things were familiar, but I will say according to that rating system I'm not a young'un anymore.

Sunshine
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm older then dirt. Remember 18 of them!!

:( :(

Thumper
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I still have a 'Ice box' my grandmother went to her grave still calling them an "ice box" and my favorite pie in the whole wide world is made by my mom ... a "lemon ice box pie".

... and I used a TON of butch wax! I never used it personally, but my two younger brothers always had "flat tops" as kids and they used it.

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?' 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.' The first I remember is Steak 'n Shake from the early 50's (first in Daytona, then Orlando). It was our "turn-around point" on "cruise night". The car-hops would come to the cars on roller skates and hang that big aluminum tray on the window. You'd flash your headlights for service or to simply order an extra milkshake, etc.

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.' Yep, I remember one Sunday night I didn 't eat my vegetables (frozen mixed veggies which gagged me!) and had to remain at the table as the dishes were cleared from the table. I was not allowed to leave the table until I ate those nasty things. To add to the misery, I missed my two favorite shows while sitting there (Lassie and Sea Hunt)! I finally left the table in a huff, packed my kerchief, tied it to the end of a broomstick and decided to run away to become a hobo! Problem is, it was raining and I never made it past the front porch. Mom finally appeared at the front door (I THOUGHT to beg me to come back in, but she simply handed me the pair of socks I'd dropped as I walked through the house, then went back in and closed the door hehind her. I finally re-entered the house and was sent straight to bed (but at least I never had to eat those NASTY veggies!) I guess that covers the "permission to leave the table" part also

Some parents NEVER owned their own house we bought our first when I was about 12, for $16,500. ... it's presently for sale for $400,000!, never wore Levis I've never ONCE seen my dad in a pair of Levis (or as he called 'em, dungarees), never set foot on a golf course (never, ever, never traveled out of the country drove across the Mexican border a couple times while in California, or had a credit card I was an adult before dad ever had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. (Our first credit card and the toughest one to get!)

My parents never drove me to soccer practice .. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.. What's soccer?

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). I built my first bike myself, from junk parts

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 16. I think I was 6 or 7 ... dad brought the old B&W set home in the back of his pick-up ... he had bought it from the bank as it was a repo!

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line. we had one phone mounted on the wall in the kitchen ... the curley-que cord was about 3 miles long and you could walk half way through the house with it. I never could figure out how that thing could get so twisted up right after i'd spend an hour straightening it back out.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home but milk was. I think we got milk, butter and cheese from the milkman ... I may be wrong

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. At the Saturday afternoon matinee, all us kids would scream "EEWWWW!" or "GROSS" or make barfing sounds when that would happen during our favorite cowboy movie!

.... he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with. Yep, remember it well!

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor. Ignition switches on the dashboard. Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall. Real ice boxes. Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner. Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

I remember ALL those

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.

1. Blackjack chewing gum .. Yep! I still see it overseas .. Cadbury makes it now
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water .. Yep
3. Candy cigarettes ..Yep
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles ..Yep
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes ..Yep
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers ..Yep
7. Party lines on the telephone ..Yep (my grandmother had one ... I used to sneak on the line to evesdrop from time to time). ;)
8. Newsreels before the movie ..Yep
9. P.F. Flyers Yep .. I wore them 'cause they would make me "run faster and jump higher!"
10. Butch wax ..Yep
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels...[if you were fortunate]) we had one channel locally (CBS), but if we had enough "tin foil" on our rabbit ears and made my little sister stand beside the tv holding onto them, we could pick up the Daytona station (NBC). Years later we got a second local station (ABC)
12. Peashooters ...Loved 'em!
13. Howdy Doody ..Yep
14. 45 RPM records .. Had quite a collection!
15.S&H greenstamps ..we also had Top Value Stamps
16. Hi-fi's ..Yep (High Fidelity!)
17. Metal ice trays with lever .. Yep, (just saw one yesterday in a Goodwill Store in Atlanta)
18. Mimeograph paper ..Yep you could get a buzz sniffing the fresh ones! ;)
19. Blue flashbulb .. Yep (single use, then they came out with "flash cubes"!)
20. Packards ..Yep
21. Roller skate keys (always had mine on a string around my neck)
22. Cork popguns ..Yes
23. Drive-ins .. Yep (make-out pits!)
24. Studebakers (that's all my grandfather drove)
25. Wash tub wringers (remember my mom using a washtub for the wash, then the second tub of water for the rinse and the wringer)

I guess I'm older than dirt!

Penguin
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Believe it or not you can still buy Black Jack and Beeman's chewing gun at the local gas station back home. Plus they have Teaberry which is wonderful but lasts about 2 minutes. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Can you do the Teaberry Shuffle?

BKB

Penguin
01-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I doubt it Barry.... what the hell is a Teaberry Shuffle anyway? :)

Will

jb
01-23-2013, 02:17 PM
100%, cause I am old, remember most of the 50's and all of the 60's and then about 4 more decades.
For everything we didn't have back then, those were some of the best days of my life.

HideHunter
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Pretty much nothing there I don't remember. Ahh.. the good old days.

When I was 13, I hoped that one day I would have a girlfriend with big tits.

When I was 16, I got a girlfriend with big tits, but there was no passion,
so I decided I needed a passionate girl with zest for life.

In college I dated a passionate girl, but she was too emotional. Everything
was an emergency; she was a drama queen, cried all the time and threatened
suicide. So I decided I needed a girl with stability.

When I was 25, I found a very stable girl but she was boring. She was
totally predictable and never got excited about anything. Life became so
dull that I decided I needed a girl with some excitement.

When I was 28, I found an exciting girl, but I couldn't keep up with her.
She rushed from one thing to another, never settling on anything. She did
mad impetuous things and made me miserable as often as happy. She was great
fun initially and very energetic, but directionless. So I decided to find
a girl with some real ambition.

When I turned 30, I found a smart ambitious girl with her feet planted
firmly on the ground, so I married her. She was so ambitious that she
divorced me and took everything I owned.

I am older and wiser now, and I am looking for a girl with big tits.

Penguin
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
~snort~

Good plan. :)

Will

LJ3
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't fall for it Will... pretty sure it's an Okie date of some kind; and not the good kind of date.

Crap, I'm having dinner with that Dufus tonight!

DeputyDog
01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Are you implying that it's the Okie version of a Cleveland Steamer?

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2013, 02:09 PM
The Teaberry Shuffle was what they did in their old TV commercials.

BKB

hotshot
01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Some of mine involve my grampa- but I was around to experience:
My greampa's truck did not start on the floor, but it did had a nail that was flattened, and bent in an L... that was the key, and it was taped to a string that was tied around the steering column. My Grampa lost the keys one time, so he just tore out the key tumbler.
My Grampa was the Butter delivery guy. He took all the cream from his 70 Jersey cows, and churned it. ERvery Friday he delivered a butter route in Louisville KY.
TV test patterns: reminds me of when cartoons were only on Saturday.
My brother and I would live for Sat morning cartoons. When we were really little, we'd drag all our stuffed animals to the couch line them up, and turn on the TV to watch 'toons with us. We'd watch the Screen pattern anxiously waitign for 6:00 AM. One day, my dad came out to the family room, and scratched his head wondering what we were doing.... It was just past 4:30. But we were ready
Blackjackgum- yup, gramma's favorite.
I Cruised in Indy in the 80's. There was a resturant called the Teepee. You'd drive from the Teepeedown to the other end of "the strip", squeal your tires at the stop light, and turn around and make another lap. The "traffic" moved so slow, people could walk amongst the cars and lean in windows and chat.
Had one of my first "rendevous" with a young lady who leaned in my window.... Let's just say, the Strip, took on a new meaning that evening. Had a '71 Chevy Nova, "Lima Bean Green, Cruising machine, with a 350 in it. Wasn't pretty, but it hauled!
My grandparents had a party line. Often we'd pick up the party line and butt ni when my uncle was talking to see if our cousin wanted to meet us at the pond.
Ihad to sit at the table once because I didn't want to finish my baked potato. I hid pieces of it around the under side of the plate. It worked until my mom picked the plate up from infront of me..... I sat back down and finished through the tears.......
Remember back yard football, baseball, made up games?????
My back yard baseball rules involved: no hitting to Right Field- automatic out: my dad's garden was in right. As a Lefty, I never pulled the ball well. I did hit a mean slap to left field on just about any pitch. Usually good for a double.
Over the Crick was a homerun, but you had to go get the ball.
Ghost runners!
Stiches in your chin from your brother playing football in the back yard without helmets, pads, or uniforms.
The triple lateral double pass Bomb for a TD.
Bikes with cards in the wheels to sound like you were a motor cycle.
Iwas a paperboy:for over 7 yrears. I started the summer after my 5th grade year. The last day I delivered papers was the Sunday I left for College. By brother and I each had a route. We shared them. 80 daily customers, and 120 on Sunday.
cleared 50 bucks a week. Paid cash for my first car.
Jeans: We wore Tuffskins, but hated the rubbery lining on the knees. Had it pulled out by the second day of school.
Remember Plaid pants.... not sorry to see those go.
How about drinking out of the hose....not out of a bottled water. We would have laughed outloud to pay for water.
Evenin the city, there was a wooded lot that kids could go play in... most of the time crossing through several neighbors' yards woth out asking or thinking it would bother them. Found my first Playboy in a hollow tree we were climbing around in and on. We took GOOD care of that mag for a summer.
Club House "meetings" We pee'd on the rope so girls wouldn't try to climb up in the tree fort. How the girls knew we pee'd on the rope I have no idea.
Creating a halloween costume, instead of buying a ready made one.

Birddog
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Here ya go folks, a blast from the past... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FmvrAwoyL0