PDA

View Full Version : Of chainsaws and men...

Penguin
06-20-2018, 01:57 PM
I've split more firewood in my life than you would believe. But I have used a chainsaw much less. I enjoy splitting wood so I never complained any when we'd go on a wood safari and I end up with a maul and a water jug.

After this first winter on the farm I decided that I should get a decent saw. Feeding 2 stoves requires a good bit of wood and I needed to use my summer off to take care of most of it. My brother and partner in crime works construction and is buried this time of year.

So I started researching chainsaws in order to choose a decent saw.... BIG mistake.

In short order I found myself having funny feelings of deja vu. I'd never researched saws but it seemed like I had heard all of the bullshit arguments and degrading troll jobs many times. Then I figured it out.

I HAD heard it all before. About rifles. And knives. And pickups. And flyrods. And boots. And practically any other piece of outdoor equipment.

A rank amateur comes to a site and asks advice for buying a decent chainsaw to feed a fireplace part time this coming winter. Some jackass suggests a 17 pound logging saw with 8 horsepower and a 30 inch bar. (I wish I was making this up) All the usual suspects chime in that anything short of a full blown professional saw with a max power point of 11,000 rpm and an all metal chassis is a complete waste of money. Some more jackasses ignore the poor bastard's original end use statement and throw out more overpriced and overpowered irrelevant suggestions.

Sound familiar?

I wouldn't walk in the woods with anything less than a 300 Winmag in an all up 7 pound package. Think Cooper.

Why waste your money? Schnee's or Lowa's are the only two decent hunting boots.

You flyfish with something other than a Loomis? Snort.... I guess it's theoretically possible to catch a trout with what you have but why chance it?

And on and on. And on. And on.

I guess I'm just feeling feisty. But I have to say that I am tempted to wonder how many of these know it all's could even halfway keep up with the wood I cut, split, and stacked in the last few weeks. All with a midsize midpower midrange saw and a 30 year old 8 pound splitting maul.

There. Now I feel better.

Will

LJ3
06-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Keen observation there, Willie! That's hitting the log on the perfect spot in the grain. It's the same no matter what you're trying to learn about. I see it every day in online guitar forums. Kid wants his first guitar and if doesn't get a '59 Cherry burst Les Paul he should probably not even try to learn.

Hint: The reissue model built to those specs is $11,000.

https://58eca9fdf76150b92bfa-3586c28d09a33a8c605ed79290ca82aa.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.c om/gibson-custom-shop-collectors-choice-6-1959-les-paul-9-1918-aka-number-one-non-filtered-tobacco-burst-253442.jpg

quercus alba
06-20-2018, 03:39 PM
I've caught more fish on a $20 Walmart fly rod than most of those Orvis aficionados dream about catching. My waders are a pair of old tennis shoes with splits down the sides.

I do find it humorous what all these superior goobers have to say tho, they just can't wait to spout off all the knowledge they're googling in another window

Penguin
06-20-2018, 04:51 PM
$11k for a guitar? Wow! That is some serious cash. Great looking but I hardly know one end of a guitar from the other. But you are right on target Len. Another way to make ones self feel important and in-the-know at someone else's expense.

qa I wish I could say the same. I'm almost as bad at fishing as I am at turkey hunting. :)

I almost laughed out loud when I first read a post about a "one saw plan". If I had a dollar for every stupid post I wasted time reading that was about a "one rifle for deer or elk" or a "one knife option".... All the talking being done, of course, by some jackass with 13 different rifles who just started a post two days before stating that he needed recommendations for a bigger gun safe because he was out of space.

But I still gotta wonder.... Chainsaws? Really? A tool like that? What's next? A site devoted to soupin' up your rototiller?

I can hear it now: "You have a Husqvarna? Well if you ~have~ to use a consumer grade tiller I guess that's ok. But why not step up to a professional grade Troy-Bilt? It will last a lifetime and is great for a one tiller plan!"

Will

airbud7
06-20-2018, 05:21 PM
as long as you drive a Chevy you'll be fine with whatever chainsaw you choose...:D

Arty
06-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Get an echo. They start second pull. They are cheap. They are easy to work on.
Or get a stihl. You’ll think you got a better saw until it won’t start.

BarryBobPosthole
06-20-2018, 05:29 PM
I plead guilty! One’s definition of ‘quality’ sometimes gets mixed up in ‘value’. The two terms are not the same, but I’ve been guilty of mixing them up myowndamnself. But there is a niche in about any useful product that caters to folks who get a nice sense of security in knowing they paid more for a quality item and having no earthly idea really why or if its better.

BKb

ps....I like my little homeowner Stihl!

Penguin
06-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Lay off my truck airbud! :o

In the end I got a Huskie. Not because I thought it was any better but because the guy that runs the place is a solid guy and they do their own warranty/maintenance. The Stihl shop is a seller only.

I'm not good enough to know if one brand is better. Truth.

And I bought a "homeowner" saw (against every bit of advice I got) because I wanted to try it for a while just to see what I like and don't like. I didn't want to be married to an expensive pro saw that I disliked.

The saw is VERY strong and I really like it. But it's heavy. My next one will be about the same size but lighter.

Will

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2018, 06:44 PM
The only advice I’d give is don’t run ethanol gas unless you treat it. (And, then only if you don’t have any choice...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
06-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Here ya go.....find a friend, and ya'll can prolly cut a winter's worth of firewood in about an hour. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfKKehFtmw

quercus alba
06-20-2018, 07:36 PM
you can buy a cut cord of wood for the price of a chainsaw minus repairs and warranty,

my kind of deal

Penguin
06-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Posty you're probably right in a lot of cases. Some solid citizens really do but more for the peace of mind. But there's also a bunch of trolls who take over sites supposedly about the given hobby/past time/whatever who live to embarrass those who don't toe the party line.

Before the internet you might have some guy in town with a $10k Dixie Chopper. But he wouldn't sit around at the barber shop telling everyone else how cheap and worthless their "consumer grade" mowers were. Its like the internet has let a whole lot of people go back to high school in the worst possible ways.

Hank there is a gas station around here that sells 93 octane non ethanol gas for ATVs, boats, mowers and whatnot. You're right and that's all I use.

Big Muddy that is funny. And probably more useful than some of the suggestions a novice wood cutter would get on some sites. :)

Will

jb
06-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Here's what I did about my chainsaw needs.
The top Echo is about 35 years old, bought it when we moved up here and need a saw to feed my new fireplace. Cut a lot of wood, but only needed it about a week every year, then it sat. After a few years it sat for years at a time because I didn't need that much wood anymore. It would still start, usually on the second pull, but was never sure if I would store it with or without gas. Finally after sitting for over 10 years without use I had the carb. cleaned and rebuilt, then I sort of retired it.
I still needed a chainsaw for tree trimming around the house, as did the boys and their houses, so I went out and bought an Echo battery.
This thing is every bit the chainsaw as the old one, about the same weight, same speed and starts with just the pull of the trigger. It's said to be good for 100 cuts before a recharge, (that's a lot of cuts), if you had two batteries it would be a days worth of work. It does not slow down as the battery get weak, same speed then bam ! it's done, fairly quick recharge.
Now I don't have to worry about bad gas, (don't go there) battery keeps a good charge (I've had it a year and still indicates full power)
So it's a win/win for me and the small amount of time I need a chain saw. Nice option is the same battery will fit a number of items, from weedwips, to blowers, to even a lawn mover.
https://i.imgur.com/LOfJk6P.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2018, 09:58 AM
JB, your story makes me laugh at myself. My Stihl has a wind up spring starter. You just pull on the rope with very little effort and when it gets the spring wound it releases and spins the motor. Having grown up having to do a double red faced grimace yanking on a chain saw rope I broke the thing twice before I could train myself to stop and think about it and just give it a softer pull.
Luckily the place I bought it fixed it both times for free. I still think if they’re gonna do that it oughta be more idiot proof. I can’t believe I’m the only idiot thats done it.

BkB

Thumper
06-21-2018, 10:21 AM
P-hole, that reminds me of when Cadillac started putting the automatic trunk closers on their cars. You'd just lightly close the trunk lid, then the closer would take over, pull it down tight and latch it. People could not get used to not slamming their trunks to close them. I bet we replaced elebenty-bazillion of those mechanisms. We'd open the trunk and there would be a ton of busted pieces scattered all over the inside of the trunk! (and they weren't cheap)

Penguin
06-21-2018, 12:27 PM
jb you are the first person I believe I've met who owns an electric saw. That is a capable looking one for sure. For quite a few situations they seem to make a lot of sense... In cities and suburbs the lower noise levels would probably keep a man on the good side of his neighbors. :)

Will

johnboy
06-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Seen a few battery pack chainsaws around and was amazed at how well they work for light duty cutting. Guy next to me last time we were camping had one and I watched him slice and dice a big pile of firewood no problem. Quiet too.

Thumper
06-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Willy, I VERY seldom use a chainsaw, but I do have one. Problem is, once I use it, it may be another 5-years before I use it again. EVERY TIME I need it, I have to go through the carb and fuel system before I can get it running again. It gets old having to rebuild it whenever I need it. Just a few months ago, I needed to cut up the top of a big oak in the back yard that broke off during a thunderstorm. Normal ... the chainsaw would not start. Then I remembered an old electric saw I picked up at an estate sale many months ago, but just haven't gotten around to listing it. Heck, they bring $150-$200 on eBay last I checked. I found some old Popular Mechanics ads from the early 50's and they sold for $100 in '52, but went up to $115 in '54. That was quite a bit of money back then. I pulled it out, plugged it in and that darn thing turned out to be a real workhorse! I breezed through that job in no time flat! Now I don't know whether to keep it (so I'll always have a saw that "starts"), or make a few bucks by selling it.

This thing is a beast and didn't even hint at slowing down while ripping through a bunch of oak. (Porter Cable 110)

LJ3
06-21-2018, 04:46 PM
The only advice I’d give is don’t run ethanol gas unless you treat it. (And, then only if you don’t have any choice...)

And maybe make sure you don't put chain oil in the gas tank.

#toosoon?

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Willy, I VERY seldom use a chainsaw, but I do have one. Problem is, once I use it, it may be another 5-years before I use it again. EVERY TIME I need it, I have to go through the carb and fuel system before I can get it running again. It gets old having to rebuild it whenever I need it. Just a few months ago, I needed to cut up the top of a big oak in the back yard that broke off during a thunderstorm. Normal ... the chainsaw would not start. Then I remembered an old electric saw I picked up at an estate sale many months ago, but just haven't gotten around to listing it. Heck, they bring $150-$200 on eBay last I checked. I found some old Popular Mechanics ads from the early 50's and they sold for $100 in '52, but went up to $115 in '54. That was quite a bit of money back then. I pulled it out, plugged it in and that darn thing turned out to be a real workhorse! I breezed through that job in no time flat! Now I don't know whether to keep it (so I'll always have a saw that "starts"), or make a few bucks by selling it.

This thing is a beast and didn't even hint at slowing down while ripping through a bunch of oak. (Porter Cable 110)

That thing looks like a trip to the Emergency Room to me.

BKB

Penguin
06-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Or a prop from a 50s sci-fi monster movie. That is one cool piece of tool history.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2018, 07:00 PM
A little portable ginny and you’re in bidness.

BKB

And someone to mind the extension cord.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2018, 07:16 PM
And maybe make sure you don't put chain oil in the gas tank.

#toosoon?

Point of order:

1. I did realize it before I cranked it up and it still runs fine to this day.

2. It was all your fault for getting me fucked up in the first place.

Thumper
06-21-2018, 08:46 PM
That thing looks like a trip to the Emergency Room to me. BKB

Actually, it’s pretty stable. On the back side is a steel plate with big teeth that grip the log and prevent bucking and jumping. Of course, it IS a chainsaw, so it can still cut your leg off! :)

I like the V-shape. You can set it down on the ground and the blade doesn’t end up in the dirt.

Arty
06-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Here's what I did about my chainsaw needs.
The top Echo is about 35 years old, bought it when we moved up here and need a saw to feed my new fireplace. Cut a lot of wood, but only needed it about a week every year, then it sat. After a few years it sat for years at a time because I didn't need that much wood anymore. It would still start, usually on the second pull, but was never sure if I would store it with or without gas. Finally after sitting for over 10 years without use I had the carb. cleaned and rebuilt, then I sort of retired it.
I still needed a chainsaw for tree trimming around the house, as did the boys and their houses, so I went out and bought an Echo battery.
This thing is every bit the chainsaw as the old one, about the same weight, same speed and starts with just the pull of the trigger. It's said to be good for 100 cuts before a recharge, (that's a lot of cuts), if you had two batteries it would be a days worth of work. It does not slow down as the battery get weak, same speed then bam ! it's done, fairly quick recharge.
Now I don't have to worry about bad gas, (don't go there) battery keeps a good charge (I've had it a year and still indicates full power)
So it's a win/win for me and the small amount of time I need a chain saw. Nice option is the same battery will fit a number of items, from weedwips, to blowers, to even a lawn mover.
https://i.imgur.com/LOfJk6P.jpg
An Echo man! This southerner agrees!

Thumper
06-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Wow! I was a bit curious as to just how much (in TODAY'S dollars) was $100 worth in 1952. According to the inflation calculator, that Porter Cable saw ran $930.28 in today's dollars. Ouch! I'd think that would put it into the professional equipment category for that size saw!

Interesting site:

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/dollars.php

LJ3
06-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Point of order:

1. I did realize it before I cranked it up and it still runs fine to this day.

2. It was all your fault for getting me fucked up in the first place.

You do get superior noticer points for not trying to start it :D

BarryBobPosthole
06-22-2018, 10:26 AM
You do get superior noticer points for not trying to start it :D

LOL.....the old Polish joke with the punchline...”Whats that noise?”

BKB

Penguin
06-22-2018, 01:36 PM
The drink man. The drink! It'll make you do some damned fool things. :)

Finished the last of the cutting this morning. Measured up everything. About 7 1/4 cords cut, split, and stacked. What I cut up this morning will be another half cord.

Been a hell of a vacation so far this summer.

Will

LJ3
06-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Damn dude... My upper back just cramped up seeing the words "7 cords". I love splitting wood but that would take me a while to get thru all that.

BarryBobPosthole
06-22-2018, 02:50 PM
You split it green?

BKB

Penguin
06-22-2018, 03:49 PM
The ash was dead. The red oak and locust were green. Maybe 60/20/20 split for ash, oak, and locust.

Most of it split really well. One BIG ash maybe 3 foot across was split vertically for the 1st 10 feet or so. When it healed it was this crusty unsplittable stuff maybe 3 inches deep along the whole 10 foot seam. On both sides of the split.

Swear to god it was like splitting Vibranium. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
06-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Did the borers get it? I have two big beautiful ash and the emerald borers are headed my direction.

BKB

Penguin
06-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I can't remember the last living ash tree I saw. I took 2 last winter, 7 this summer, and I have 4 more on the pasture borders to get. All big, nice trees.

It's sad but what can you do? Ash gets dangerous quickly when it's dead. Better to take it and let the other trees get some light than let it fall down on its own.

I'm happy with all my locust though. It does so well making its own coal bed in a cold stove. I have to say it's my favorite wood for stoves.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
06-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Must be a different kind of locust than we have here. Ours have thorns about four inches long.

Its a shame they can’t find a way to fight hose ash borers. We’re gonna miss those trees when we don’t have them any more.

I planted four American Chestnut this year that have some blight resistance and gave one to my fishing buddy. My four are doing well so far and I think his is too. It’d be cool to see them grow into mature trees. I’ll only be like 80 if that happens.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
06-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Must be a different kind of locust than we have here. Ours have thorns about four inches long.

Its a shame they can’t find a way to fight hose ash borers. We’re gonna miss those trees when we don’t have them any more.

I planted four American Chestnut this year that have some blight resistance and gave one to my fishing buddy. My four are doing well so far and I think his is too. It’d be cool to see them grow into mature trees. I’ll only be like 80 if that happens.

BKb

I don’t think the canker gets then until they’re 10-15 years old.

Penguin
06-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Posty what we have here I think is black locust. Not real heavy but extremely hard. Not uncommon to see sparks come of the chain when you cut up a seasoned one.

We lost a lot of ash trees but we have some new stuff coming along as well. My great-grandfather had a cherry tree in the front pasture. It blew over when in a tornado storm when I was a kid. They cut it up maybe a decade ago. We were so excited to find a tiny foot tall sproutling coming up from the old root system this summer. We mulched it and fenced it off. And we have some young sugar maples coming along too.

I wish I had some chestnuts. I'm jealous man. I remember seeing the shells of the huge old chestnuts lying around on this farm when I was a kid.

Will