PDA

View Full Version : This sucks ...

Thumper
06-21-2018, 07:38 AM
I know there are a bunch of cat haters here ... but at the same time, I know you're also animal lovers, so send some good vibes our way if you have time.

We've had Duke for 14 years. He was a full-grown stray when we rescued him, so we're not really sure of his age. He's a really cool cat and favors me over Lynn ... we're pretty tight buddies. He's NEVER been a problem, never been sick or injured and is just a cool dude all around. Yesterday he just wasn't his old self, so I kept an eye on him. Once Lynn got home from work last night, we watched him for a few hours, then decided he's acting so out of character, we should take him to the Emergency Animal Hospital here in town. Dang! $700 later, we still aren't positive what's going on and we're waiting for some blood test results. He was a real trooper last night and is resting now, but he's not eating or drinking that we can tell. NOT a good sign. Hopefully the meds will kick in and he'll start feeling better, but it kills me to see him like this. These critters just become part of the family after a while and it doesn't matter if it's a dog, cat or a dang parrot, you get attached.

He's a laid back dude and nothing more than a "gentle giant" ... he wouldn't hurt a mouse even. Here he is watching a small snake. I sat and watched him for quite a while and he never messed with the snake ... but actually appeared to be protecting it! I'm sure it was simply curiosity, but he looked more like a baby-sitter than a predator!

10115 10116

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2018, 07:43 AM
I hope he gets better Thump. We lostour husky a few months ago and we’re still not over it

BKB

Penguin
06-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Best wishes Jim I hope he makes a quick comeback. They do become members of the family for sure.

Will

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Get well soon, Duke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. He hasn't even gotten out of bed today and hasn't so much as lifted his head. Man it sucks to feel so helpless. I sure hope he pulls through this ... whatever it is. :(

johnboy
06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Sounds like an old kitty cat that may be reaching the end. When they stop eating and drinking there is not much you can do except make them as comfortable as possible and accept the inevitable. Hope I'm wrong and he pulls through.

Thumper
06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Well, this afternoon he got up on his own and drank about a gallon of water, then went over to the food bowl and ate. Not a lot, but he's never been a big eater anyway. Then he returned to his bed and started grooming himself! He's only at about 50% right now, but it's a major improvement. Heck, he's only been on the meds since last night, so maybe they're working. Man-o-man, I hope my little buddy continues to improve. He really is a cool dude. Fingers crossed.

Big Skyz
06-21-2018, 04:43 PM
A cat and a snake in the same photo. You are really testing me here Jim. However I like you more than I like either of those animals so I will behave myself. I do agree though we do get attached to our pets and I am not looking forward to someday seeing my dog pass away. He makes my day better in some way nearly every day. I will be a little lost without him someday. With that said, for your sake ,I hope your cat fully recovers.

LJ3
06-21-2018, 04:46 PM
That's funny BS!

I feel ya Jimmy. I hope he pulls thru alright.

HideHunter
06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Good luck, Duke...

Big Muddy
06-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Thump, give us an update on Duke.....I don't like to see any animal in pain or suffering.

Thumper
06-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys. He was feeling like crap for a few days, but he now appears to be getting back to normal. He gets out of bed and goes to the front door to be let out in the mornings (his usual MO), but mama says he can't go out for two weeks (until he's fully healed). The x-rays showed arthritis in his front shoulders and elbows, so we have him on anti-inflammatory meds. My gut feeling is he jumped down from a height and landed wrong, hurting his LF leg or shoulder (the one he favored when limping). We'll see how it goes. The vet said the drugs may only be needed until he gets better, or if it returns, it may be a permanent thing. Time will tell. Sucks getting old! I'm just glad to see my old buddy feeling better. It's a helpless feeling when they're sick or hurting, but can't tell you what's wrong. :(

LJ3
06-25-2018, 09:39 AM
I'm beginning to think Duke may be my actual spirit animal. Getting old sucks!

BarryBobPosthole
06-25-2018, 10:04 AM
glucosamine

BkB

Chicken Dinner
06-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Does that mean we can go back to talking smack about cars now?

Thumper
06-25-2018, 11:53 PM
Does that mean we can go back to talking smack about cars now?

As long as they’re not Toyotas. :D

Chicken Dinner
06-26-2018, 03:08 PM
Damn autocorrect.