PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness ... where does it end?

Thumper
06-26-2018, 09:44 AM
I see David Bossie has supposedly been suspended by FOX News for saying, “You’re out of your cotton-picking mind” during a heated, on-air "discussion" over the weekend. The recipient of the remark happened to be black and all hell broke loose! Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing ... but I hate all this p/c crap anyway.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/06/26/fox-news-reportedly-suspends-ex-trump-aide-for-cotton-picking-remark/23468162/

Man-o-man, my grandfather was a Presbyterian minister when I was a kid. He was always respectful and to my knowledge, didn't have a racially prejudiced bone in his body. BUT ... I couldn't tell you how many times he used that phrase. He'd find a section of fence pulled loose from a post and holler at me to "go grab that cotton-pickin' hammer out'ta the tool shed and bring it to me" ... or something similar. I never really thought that hammer picked cotton ... it was just a frigging (Southern?) phrase. No real ill intent, just a meaningless phrase ingrained in the Southern vocabulary. But ohhhh, the double-whammy was when I gave my "Pop" (grandfather) a new fishing pole for his birthday. He said, "Bless your little pea-pickin' heart!" The double-whammy? "Pea-pickin'" is also a derogatory term according to the P/C Police ... but to make matters worse, "Bless your heart" is also a derogatory term! Dang, although I never heard my preacher grandfather utter a curse word as long as I knew him, I never realized what a foul-mouthed heathen he really was!

But then again, I have to agree with some of the p/c changes that have come along in my day. I can remember the day my grandmother showed me a big batch of hazel nuts she had on the kitchen table. She was telling me how nice it was of ol' Joe to bring them up to the house for her. I asked, "Ol Joe?" "Who's he?" Oh, you know, he's that nice old nigger who helps Bill Fletcher with his farm across the river down by the old swingin' bridge. Ok, I have to admit, I grew up when "niggers" were "black people" ... good OR bad. In the South, it wasn't always a derogatory term, it was just "normal" speech in the day. Could it be derogatory? Heck yeah, but then it was usually preceded by "fuckin'" ... as in "That fuckin' nigger done stole two o'my chickens!!" Again, I have to agree, through time, I've grown to find the term offensive and now only black people can call each other niggers. I also grew up in the day when signs saying, "Whites Only" were posted at water coolers (water or drinking fountains around here), public restrooms and outside most restaurants, etc. Again, I can't agree with that and it's a positive change IMHO.

That said, I suppose it's getting to the point, these days, they need to start censoring the old Andy Griffith re-runs. I can't say for sure, but I'd have to think he often said "cotton-pickin'", "pea-pickin'" and "bless your little heart" more than once. But WTH, everybody knows Andy Griffith was a foul-mouthed, racist ass-hole anyway, right?

Big Muddy
06-26-2018, 09:55 AM
What's your terminology for Maxine Waters???.....just wondering. ;)

Thumper
06-26-2018, 10:25 AM
Well, let's just say it begins with "fuckin!" :D

I guess the difference is, I wouldn't say it in "public".

johnboy
06-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Much ado about nothing for sure but some people are always looking for any excuse to be offended.

Arty
06-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Much ado about nothing for sure but some people are always looking for any excuse to be offended.

I’m offended by this.

Chicken Dinner
06-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I’m pretty sure it ended right about the time Thump started this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
That Maxine Waters reply is going to have me chuckling to myself the rest of the day.

airbud7
06-26-2018, 09:57 PM
I love black people...... but I hate niggers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

airbud7
06-27-2018, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=eFRHX6glTSM