PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal Starter Recommendation

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2018, 10:26 AM
I am an anti when it comes to liquid, kerosene smelling charcoal starters. Only for amateurs. I have been using those parafin/sawdust starters but I really don’t like them either. So far, a chimney and a wadded up newspaperhas worked best. But I ran across some alcohol based firestarter gel by Hasty Bake and gave it a try. It is the cat’s ass! Its odorless and comes out of the bottle kind of like shampoo. It burns just long enough and you don’t have to wait foreverfor those staryer sticks to burn completely up.

Works good, lasts a long time. Hasty Bake makes some good shit.

BKB

Thumper
07-15-2018, 10:31 AM
I picked one of those chimneys up at an estate sale for $1.00 ... it was brand new and had never been used (not that it really makes a difference). Lynn LOVES it! We still have cans of left-over liquid starters in the garage, but she'll have nothing to do with them since I gave her that chimney for her birthday. :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Yep, they work really well.

BKB

Arty
07-15-2018, 07:46 PM
I use a chimney as well. I have a charcoal bucket that I use to store my briquettes in. Every time I pour a new bag in the storage bucket, I stick the bag the coals were in, right on top before I put the lid on.
So, when it’s time to fire it up, I just tear a few pieces of that heavy paper bag up and wad them under the chimney.
Good to go in no time.

Chicken Dinner
07-15-2018, 08:28 PM
I may have to give that a try. I use the chimney when I’m camping and cooking with my Dutch ovens and usually just an oil soaked paper towel with the BGE. I e been thinking about just trying my blow torch -‘d seeing how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
07-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Outdoor guru, Creek Stewart, says a cotton ball soaked with vaseline will start a fire, even with damp wood.

Chicken Dinner
07-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Yes, but isn’t Vaseline petroleum based? The whole point is to keep chemicals out of your food. (I realize not using hardwood charcoal instead of briquettes in the first place would be a major start.

If you’re talking about a survival situation, hand sanitizer will do the trick in a heart beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
07-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Yep, GermX will work equally, as well.

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Y’all been watching Les too much.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Nope, Les is old news.....Creek Stewart is da man, now.

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2018, 02:00 PM
I’ll bet can’t play the harmonica like Les

LJ3
07-16-2018, 02:11 PM
I've never considered my chimney and wadded up news paper as something that needed improving. lazy bastard.

Big Muddy
07-16-2018, 04:23 PM
I’ll bet can’t play the harmonica like Les

Yep, but Creek has a nifty blonde pony tail. ;)

Penguin
07-16-2018, 05:06 PM
And one of those limited edition Filson cruisers as well. Honestly I love them both.

The gel stuff works well. If you save tree bark when you get your firewood a bit of gel on a pile of well dried tree bark is like magic.

Will

Thumper
07-16-2018, 07:06 PM
The gel stuff works well. Will

Back in the day, we called that stuff napalm!

Trav
07-16-2018, 09:28 PM
I use a chimney or my electric starter when I cook on the kamado.