PDA

View Full Version : Labor (Labour for the Canucks) Day Weekend Plans

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2018, 11:32 PM
Grand kids are here Saturday. We’ll watch the Sooners. Gonna go eat German food Saturdee night. And then hopefully a quiet Sunday and Monday. Our temps are supposed to be in the low 90’s so there’ll be some pool time, and some baseball on tv, and I’ll figure out what I’m gonna grill up this weekend by saturday morning. The egg will get a workout.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-31-2018, 05:54 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I’ve got some range time planned for Saturday morning and, like you, some family and grilling ng the rest of the weekend.

quercus alba
08-31-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm going a different route this year. Im going to grill some pork belly with a brown sugar rub, some bologna sliced about an inch thick and some sausages

Chicken Dinner
09-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Rolling smoke this morning. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180903/8b2441b1cdd7cff618357fecce83ba7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
09-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Heck Yea CD! ......Get 'Er Done Bro!

DeputyDog
09-03-2018, 09:41 AM
I had to work all weekend but have today off.

My wife had a bunch of friends and family over yesterday and they hit the lake and then after I got home from work, we grilled up a bunch of rib-eyes and played cards over some cocktails.

Planning on having everyone back today and hitting the lake again and just hanging out.

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2018, 09:48 AM
I made some ribs yesterday using the ‘fall of the bone’ recipe. I prefer the competition rib, firmer rib way of just smoking them but my family likes them this way. So what the fam wants the fam gets! We’ve had grands here all weekend and have spent a lot of time in the pool. Today its just us and its nice and quiet!

BKB

Thumper
09-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Been a busy weekend for us. We applied for the Global Entry program a couple months ago, then went to Orlando on Saturday to have our personal interviews with a coupl'a US Customs and Border Protection agents. We now have our official Global Entry cards. No more standing in line with the riff-raff at Customs when returning from an out-of-the-country trip. Global Entry combined with our TSA Pre-Check makes it a breeze to blow through all that security crap when traveling. Now we just zip through and leave the lowly commoners standing in line, all the while, wondering if we're frigging royalty or sumpin'! :D

Then we decided to try out a highly touted BBQ joint that we'd read rave reviews about, but we'd never tried before. No real complaints on the food itself, but it was about elebenty-bazillion percent overrated in our opinion. NOTHING special and small portions. It gets a thumbs down as far as us ever returning. We bummed around Orlando for a while, then headed home to relax.

Yesterday we headed for Tampa and went to our favorite Cuban food joint. I had Cuban Mojo Marinated Pork over rice with plantains on the side. DAMN! It was larupin! ;) Lynn had a Cuban sammich ... well, half a sammich anyway ... I kind'a "helped" with the other half. ;)

Then we bummed around Tampa before heading for the movie theater to catch a flick.

Today we're just planning to lay around and vegetate. I may dabble a bit on eBay ... or might just park my butt in front of the tv. (not sure what's on the menu today ... that's Lynn's department) ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-03-2018, 11:51 AM
You know Thump, I rarely go to a BBQ restaurant any more as I prefer my own and the prices for what you get seem really high. I’m not saying mine is he “best” and I know it wouldn’t win any competition. But, it’s the way I like it. When I do go, I’ll usually get the brisket as I’m still working on my technique there.

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2018, 11:58 AM
I agree with that! Barbeque used to be all about making cheap cuts of meat really tasty. Ribs, dewlaps, butts, you name it. Now it costs $15 bucks to eat lunch at a bbq joint. If they’re gonna charge steak prices, then I’ll just go eat a steak somewhere.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
09-03-2018, 12:04 PM
I made some ribs yesterday using the ‘fall of the bone’ recipe. I prefer the competition rib, firmer rib way of just smoking them but my family likes them this way. So what the fam wants the fam gets! We’ve had grands here all weekend and have spent a lot of time in the pool. Today its just us and its nice and quiet!

BKB

I’m in the same boat. While I prefer spare ribs with some bite to them, the family prefers fall off the bone. (My Mrs. doesn’t even want to see the bone.). So, I usually buy the meatiest baby backs I can find when I’m cooking for them.

Big Muddy
09-03-2018, 12:51 PM
"""""(My Mrs. doesn’t even want to see the bone.)"""""

Can't believe you said that around THESE guys !!!!! ;););)

Chicken Dinner
09-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Ha! I’m glad you beat them to it, BM.

Arty
09-03-2018, 03:38 PM
"""""(My Mrs. doesn’t even want to see the bone.)"""""

Can't believe you said that around THESE guys !!!!! ;););)

I can tell you that it’s not ALL bones she doesn’t wanna see... it’s just HIS bone.

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2018, 08:58 PM
For Labor Day.....a band I’ll bet Johnboy knows.

BKB

https://youtu.be/YDrI7gRS6_E

johnboy
09-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Never heard of them actually. Catchy tune though. Tx.

quercus alba
09-04-2018, 09:56 AM

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2018, 10:45 AM
I have never grilled nor et pork belly. Please let us know what’s what. Is it real fatty?

BKB

quercus alba
09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
It's basically bacon sliced about an inch x an inch. Probably 50% fat but when rubbed with brown sugar and grilled to a nice crusty exterior it's really good. A little chewy but well worth the trouble

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Pork belly is good stuff. When I’ve had it, it hasn’t been cured like bacon. A little goes a long way as it’s very rich.

Thumper
09-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Man-o-man, my buddy (Chinese) makes some killer glazed pork belly! We're regulars at their house and he and Lynn get together to do most of the cooking together. We'll sometimes have it over rice, or sometimes he'll cut it up into small chunks and we'll sit around with tooth picks eating them as appetizers.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
So, basically grilled pork fat?

BKB

Thumper
09-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Either way. Here's a video of how my buddy usually makes it. (he sometimes grilles it also - Char-Siu). Believe me, he's learned to make a BIG batch if I'm there! ;)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i-yMnPdCv5M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ingredients
for 2 servings

20 oz pork belly, lean
4 cups water
4 slices ginger
1 spring onion, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine
1 cup water
cooked rice, to serve
green onion, to serve

Preparation:

Cut the pork belly into roughly 1-inch (2 ½ cm) chunks.
Bring the water to a boil in a pot, then add the pork, ginger, onion, and garlic, cooking for about 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pork from the water and drain it on a plate lined with a paper towel. Discard the remaining water and vegetables.
After cleaning and drying the pot, heat it with the oil over high heat. Place the pork back in, cooking until browned. The oil may pop and splash so be careful.
Add the brown sugar, turning the heat to low. Stir continuously until the sugar has melted, caramelized, and coated the pork evenly.
Immediately add the soy sauces and rice wine, stirring and cooking for about 5-6 minutes or until the liquid has reduced into a thick glaze.
Add the water, stir, and cover the pot for about 45 minutes. Make sure the mixture is at a low simmer, not boiling. Check and stir every 10 minutes or so and add water if the pot is getting dry.
When the 45 minutes are up, remove the lid, checking to see if the sauce coats the pork in a very thick glaze. If it is too runny, continue to stir, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced.
Serve immediately over a bowl of rice and sprinkle with sliced green onions.

Thumper
09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Here's his grilled Char-Siu! It's usually a leaner (butt or shoulder maybe?) cut. But the flavor is similar.