PDA

View Full Version : Post Office sure has changed.....

Buckrub
01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
In the desk and filing cabinet cleaning, my wife found a letter from her Great Grandfather in Henrietta, OK to her Grandmother (his daughter) in DeWitt, AR postmarked 1984. It is literally addressed as follows, in cursive handwritten script:

Rose Cheney
DeWitt, AR - they live in new house on north part of town - it's mostly brick - got big driveway

There was no zip code, nothing else. USPS got it there just fine. The Cheney's were well known, he owned the grocery store in town. It was a letter thanking his daughter for sending some money when times were so tough, all handwritten.

Neat stuff.

Arty
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
That's cool.
Wouldn't happen today.

Sunshine
01-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Heck they can't even get it to a correct address!!'

BarryBobPosthole
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
When I was growing up, I never used anything on my letters to my Dad but 'CL Bruton General Delivery, Boles, Arkansas.

That said, I miss writing letters. I sent letters to my cousin who was inthe army during Viet Nam, to my Dad, and to a few other friends and relatives on a fairly regular basis. I guess we're the last letter writing generation. I'm not sure my kids could address an envelope without asking a question or two. Heck, I remeber it was one of thethings we learned in school. My kids learned howto write (and cash) checks and balancea checking account. I doubtthat's taught these days.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
So true P-hole. I remember, while in the military, "mail call" was one of the most important events of the day. It seems the whole day sucked from there on out if there was no letter received (preferably with photos). Most of the troops these days simply check their e-mail when possible. I think letter writing has, for the most part, gone the way of the Dodo Bird.

Heck, my favorite was to receive a tin of homemade cookies. Sure, by time they arrived in S.E. Asia, they were usually a pile of crumbs, but they were still good. Nowadays I think the norm is to send a gift card for Mrs. Fields. :(