PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Cast Iron ... Hide Hunter? Any o'youse CI aficionados?

Thumper
09-05-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm getting ready for another official cast iron blow-out. I had the last one in December, for the Christmas rush, and cleared out most of what I had in stock. BUT, it's piling up again. The reason is, I hang onto it with the plan to restore the pieces ... but I get so darned busy with other stuff, I just don't have the time. Then I end up with a pile that really needs to be moved. Right now, I have 72-frigging pieces of CI layin' here waiting to be listed on The Bay. As usual, if one'a youse dufes are lookin' for anything in particular, I'll check to see if I have it. P-hole ... my memory sucks these days, did you ever get that corn stick pan you wanted? I think I have a Griswold as well as an old Wagner Ware here. This is a partial pic of what I have.

Now, here's the mystery piece I have. I bought it about a year ago and every month or so, I drag it out and research it. I've yet been able to find ANYTHING on it and know nothing about it. Unfortunately, the only piece I found was the lid. The lid measures 10-1/2" across and has no kick-outs for pour spouts. It has the letters "J R" cast into the top. The lid is lipped and has a gate mark inside, so it's an oldie! Does anybody here have a clue as to the maker or any history on the JR mark. I've been coming up blank for a year or more, so I have to assume it's extremely rare. Anybody???

10207 10208

10209 10210

Big Muddy
09-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Thump, you may already know about this cast iron foundry database, but thought I'd post this website for all that might be interested:

http://www.castironcollector.com/foundries.php#

Thumper
09-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Yessir Muddy. In fact, I'm registered with that group. For some silly reason, I've never posted a pic there. I should prolly do that. Duh. I think I usually just drag it out, do a quick search to see if anything related has popped up, then I put it away again. I guess I need to get serious about trying to track down some info I suppose.

Big Muddy
09-05-2018, 02:53 PM
I bet that "J-R" lid you got is gonna end up being made in Canada.

Thumper
09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Okaaaay, I'll bite. How come?

I figured Dallas, Texas ... maybe a custom made set for J.R. Ewing. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Whatever the story is, I’m looking forward to hearing it!

BKb

Big Muddy
09-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Okaaaay, I'll bite. How come?

I figured Dallas, Texas ... maybe a custom made set for J.R. Ewing. ;)

Ha....I was just taking a quick look at that foundry website, and there's a bunch of foundries in Canuckaland.....if your lid was cast in the U.S., surely there would be a better identification of the casting foundry.

HideHunter
09-05-2018, 09:56 PM
New one on me. Thump.. and frankly, I didn't think there was anything cast you couldn't find with a quick google search. ;) I have a griz do and griz lid that don't match.. I'd like to trade one or the other..but, we're dead center in the middle of a kitchen, deck, bathroom remodel.. Can't find anything. I almost wiped my butt with a spatula this morning.. I have the tiniest touch of ocd and it's been 10 days of peaks and valleys. ;) Like Barry.. waiting for "the rest of the story". ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2018, 11:33 PM
I’ve got nothing. Back in the gate marked era there were a ton of foundries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
09-05-2018, 11:47 PM
My intitials are JRT, I really think you ought to just send it to me.