PDA

View Full Version : Not political, economic, or important....

Penguin
09-07-2018, 12:07 PM
... just an article that I found really interesting.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ice-wind-and-lighting-how-mount-washingtons-weather-watchers-survive/

It is about what life is like for the weather observers on Mount Washington in New Hampshire. I know first hand how elevation really affects weather. But when you start talking about 6200 feet of elevation and a latitude in NH, well that is something else entirely. Sounds a lot like being in Antarctica. :)

Will

LJ3
09-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Holy crap! -46 degrees BEFORE factoring in 100+mph hour winds. I ain't cut out for that kind of thing. That'll get you daid in a quick second.

BarryBobPosthole
09-07-2018, 05:05 PM
A company I worked for had a microwave system that ran from Salt Lake up to Seattle. On those systems you have repeater towers ln the line of sight every 30 miles or so. I knew some of the guys who went to work in sno-cats every day in winter and had the really cool heavy duty one ton four wheel drive trucks. I drove a good percentage of that company’s fiber route but was never fortunate enough to get to go see our network backbone there in person.
I don’t think I’d want to work in those conditions.

And just fyi, in one of those states, I don’t remember which, our towers had to ‘blend in’ with the scenery. There was lively discussion of that in staff meetings.

BKB

Thumper
09-07-2018, 06:35 PM
We have those towers all around here Posty. Some are giant flag poles and some look like various trees, depending on where they are located. Some look pretty cool, but some are totally obvious and look like a fly in a bowl of milk!

10214 10215

10216 10217

Chicken Dinner
09-07-2018, 07:17 PM
I’ve been up there, but not in the winter. Even in the summer, the weather up there can mess you up if you’re not prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin
09-07-2018, 08:43 PM
There is an antenna in one of those cactuses? Huh....

About this time of year these articles and stories of cold weather get me excited. I even have cold weather movies like Where Eagles Dare or Jeremiah Johnson or whatever.

I guess I just dig winter. 😊

Will

Thumper
09-08-2018, 08:29 AM
There is an antenna in one of those cactuses? Huh....Will

Here ya' go Willy ... the construction phase.