PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I may go to Hell for this ....

Thumper
09-24-2018, 09:30 AM
... but I already have a LOOOOONG list of reasons I could be headed to Hell (like there really is such a place). See? I can't help myself ... make that ANOTHER reason! I guess I'm in a feisty mood this morning. :stirthepot

With all this talk about Kavanaugh, P-hole brought up the subject of priests and the accompanying sex scandals.

Seriously, the mention of priests being "busted" for having sex with (heck, fill in the blank ... alter boys to nuns) reminded me of something I have many times thought about. Why, on God's (?) green earth would ANY church require it's priests or nuns or whomever else falls into the mix, to be celibate? Celibacy, chastity, abstinence ... whatever ... why would it be required? It's NOT normal human behavior. And why would anyone in their right mind, NOT expect problems to arise from the practice? When one has a problem with libido, one will many times go to a doctor as there could be a physical/medical problem causing it. If God had intended human's to not have sex, why did He equip us with extra (pleasurable) nerve endings in the "good spots"? Why were we equipped to produce orgasms? (btw, an orgasm and an ejaculation are two different things) Heck, what did God say after He created Adam and Eve?

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it:”

Isn't He telling them to go boink each other's brains out? Why wouldn't a priest be going against God's will by following a life of celibacy? If God didn't want humans to have sex, why don't we just multiply like fish? He could'a made it where women just lay a pile of eggs in the front yard where some dude can come along later and jack-off on them. (sorry to get crude, but wtf?)

I could go on and on, but I've said enough to stir the pot. Trust me, I've never been attracted to "religion" even though I was totally immersed in it while growing up. Even as a dumb, impressionable kid, the crap that was being force-fed to me made no real sense when I'd lie in bed thinking about it ... and to this day, it's NEVER made sense to me (and frankly, probably never will).

:GH Shit Disturber

DeputyDog
09-24-2018, 10:08 AM
First thing, no one is forced to become a Priest or Nun by the Catholic Church. Those that choose to, do so knowing that they will be taking a vow of celibacy. It’s not like the celibacy thing comes as a surprise to them once they “take the job”, for lack of a better term.

Secondly, according to that logic no person that is in a sexual relationship should ever abuse a child or commit any type of sexual crime.

Third, I highly doubt that the number of Catholic Priests that actually abuse children or commit another type of sex offense is any higher than the number of Jewish Rabbis, Protestant ministers, etc... per capita. If it was the number of abuse claims would be astronomical since there are approximately 420,000 Catholic Priests worldwide.

It is more widely known due to the higher likelihood of a lawsuit due to the make up of the Church with the worldwide hierarchy that other religions don’t have. Who has “deeper pockets”, the Catholic diocese that oversees numerous churches or your neighborhood Protestant church that is a stand alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2018, 10:22 AM
All I know is, in my town every time the build a big new church, a big new bank gets built. coincidence?

We need to do away with tax exemptions for about 3/4th of the stuff that churches do, like hospitals and so forth. And if they’re going to preach politics from the pulpits, like the so called new political class the ‘evangelicals’, then they need to pay taxes.

just MHO.

bkb

DeputyDog
09-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Politicizing from the pulpit must be a Protestant thing. I’ve never heard any political sermons in my lifetime of attending Catholic Mass.

I’ve heard that certain things are wrong and those issues must be considered when voting, but never any talk about specific candidates.

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
The poor persecuted evangelicals are the ones I hear the most about in Oklahoma. I’ve never heard a catholic claim that we needed the ten commandments erected at our state capitol.

BKB

LJ3
09-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Pedophiles are drawn to circumstances where (1) They are in a position of trust in the community (2) they can easily silence their victims with emotional control or fear (3) Parents giving them blind trust around children, unsupervised. (4) They can become part of an "extended family" which gets them even close to their victims with trust. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

DeputyDog
09-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Exactly. That is exactly the reason the the Catholic Church has done a much better job with screening on seminarians since the first scandal broke in the early 2000’s. Even with these new revelations most of them prior to that.

Thumper
09-24-2018, 11:56 AM
I think you missed my point. Celibacy just ain’t normal and I have no clue why it should be expected ... or be required. I wonder how many GOOD priests the church has missed out on because a GOOD man would rather have a wife and a (shhhhh!) normal sex life? It makes no sense to me in this day and age.

LJ3
09-24-2018, 01:38 PM
I think you missed my point. Celibacy just ain’t normal and I have no clue why it should be expected ... or be required. I wonder how many GOOD priests the church has missed out on because a GOOD man would rather have a wife and a (shhhhh!) normal sex life? It makes no sense to me in this day and age.

My point is that celibacy has nothing to do with being a pedophile. If you're celibate, rub one out like the rest of the male population. It ain't about celibacy, it's about being a pedophile. The two things are unrelated.

DeputyDog
09-24-2018, 02:28 PM
My point is that celibacy has nothing to do with being a pedophile. If you're celibate, rub one out like the rest of the male population. It ain't about celibacy, it's about being a pedophile. The two things are unrelated.

Bingo.

DeputyDog
09-24-2018, 02:41 PM

One of the main reasons is that it is expected that a Priest will have the welfare of his parish as his first priority. That is a lot harder to do when you also have a family to look after.

Another reason is missionary work. Do you absorb the extra cost of housing and feeding an entire family or do you force the Priest to leave his family behind to do the work?

Thumper
09-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Ummmm, well you guys seem to have tunnel vision here. The ONLY thing in my tirade above might be the mention of "altar boys". YOU dufes are the ones focusing on the pedophilia problem. I never used the word.

This is less than TWO MONTHS ago ... the first thing that came up with Mr. Google ....

Excerpt:
After decades of silence, the nun is one of a handful worldwide to come forward recently on an issue that the Catholic Church has yet to come to terms with: The sexual abuse of religious sisters by priests and bishops.

https://www.apnews.com/f7ec3cec9a4b46868aa584fe1c94fb28/After-decades-of-silence,-nuns-talk-about-abuse-by-priests

What I'm saying is that maybe instead of making excuses ... a certain church needs to pull itself out of the Dark Ages. Don't we always talk about how archaic the Muslim religion is? Of course, that's more like the Stone Ages in comparison.

Thumper
09-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Another reason is missionary work. Do you absorb the extra cost of housing and feeding an entire family or do you force the Priest to leave his family behind to do the work?

Really? Now don't you ... deep down inside ... have to admit that's a pretty lame excuse?

LJ3
09-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Ummmm, well you guys seem to have tunnel vision here. The ONLY thing in my tirade above might be the mention of "altar boys". YOU dufes are the ones focusing on the pedophilia problem. I never used the word.

Maybe you should have Sarah Huckabee Sanders edit your posts before you open your pie hole :D

Thumper
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Maybe you should have Sarah Huckabee Sanders edit your posts before you open your pie hole :D

Not sure where that came from. All I'm pointing out is that you two dufi are making it sound like pedophilia is the only sexual abuse problem within the church, so it's YOUR pie hole that needs attention. ;)

Saying pedophilia is the only sexual abuse problem within the Catholic church is FAR from the truth, although it's the main issue that hits the press. What I'm addressing is the ridiculous requirement for priests to go before the bishop and promise celibacy. It just ain't natural and I believe it's unhealthy for the church ... it's INVITING problems. This is the 21st century, not the 10th.

LJ3
09-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Uh-huh.

"With all this talk about Kavanaugh, P-hole brought up the subject of priests and the accompanying sex scandals.

Seriously, the mention of priests being "busted" for having sex with (heck, fill in the blank ... alter boys to nuns) reminded me of something I have many times thought about."

That's where it came from :D

Thumper
09-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Well, YOU sir, need to have some noticer points deducted. Yes, you're correct ... BUT ... once you jumped on the pedophilia train, I followed with this:

Ummmm, well you guys seem to have tunnel vision here. The ONLY thing in my tirade above might be the mention of "altar boys". YOU dufes are the ones focusing on the pedophilia problem.

If you'll practice on your noticer skills by going back and re-reading my posts, you'll see that pedophilia had never again been touched on BY ME, other than responding to your posts. The main subject of MY posts, has always been the promise of celibacy. My focus is not on abuse ... but more on the policies of the church. :moon

quercus alba
09-25-2018, 03:52 PM
A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head monk to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."

He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the head monk.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing.

"We missed the R!
We missed the R!
We missed the R!"

His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably. The young monk asks the head monk, "What's wrong, father?"

The head monk with tears in his eyes replies, "The word is celebrate not celibate!"

Thumper
09-25-2018, 04:54 PM
A priest was driving and gets stopped for speeding.

The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest’s breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.

He says, “Father, have you been drinking?”

“Just water,” says the priest, fingers crossed.

The trooper says, “Then why do I smell wine?”

The priest looks at the bottle and says, “Praise be to God! He’s done it again!” ;)