PDA

View Full Version : On a less serious topic...kids football update

DeputyDog
09-27-2018, 03:05 PM
My son’s football season is 2/3 over.

They have played 4 of the 6 games scheduled for the season and they are still undefeated. They have only given up three touchdowns all season and have out-scored their opponents 102-18.

While being on a winning team is fun, the best part is seeing him improve and become more aware of what’s happening on the field and not just focusing on the player lined up across from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
09-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Good times DD, cherish them.

Chicken Dinner
09-27-2018, 03:38 PM
That’s awesome! But, Bwana’s right, they go by fast.

quercus alba
09-27-2018, 03:44 PM
Time flies for sure. Last summer my baby was pitching in little league, this summer he's writing his graduate dissertation.

BarryBobPosthole
09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
That’s awesome, DD. Those years are precious, so enjoy them to the fullest! When they get hairy legs there’ll be a whole new set of things to deal with!

Just a question, and not meant to be critical in any way (I love football). With all of the CTE and injury stuff involved in football did any of that cause you to push him towards a different sport?

BKB

DeputyDog
09-27-2018, 06:37 PM
It was a topic of discussion between my wife and I.

He has tried basketball and didn’t like it, hated soccer, likes baseball, has wanted to try hockey but needs to learn to skate better.

I did some checking into the league before I let him sign up. It is for 2nd through 6th graders, but the 2nd and 3rd graders play in what they call the JV. 4th and 5th graders are Varsity, and the 6th graders play as a team against other schools.

The equipment is better than anything I ever had when I played, and they are starting them out teaching how to tackle without sticking the head in.

Even with all of that it was a concern, but we thought we would let him try it. My thought was, “How physical are 8 and 9 year olds going to get.”.

I would be interested in seeing a study to see how soccer and hockey players compare to football players in the rate of concussions.

I know they are a lot more serious about concussions now and a concussion protocol is in place in all of the school sports. They even did it when my daughter started volleyball in 4th grade.

BarryBobPosthole
09-27-2018, 06:48 PM
I kind of figured most parents were having those conversations these days. There is a big rise in soccer and other team sports around here with little kids and I live in a football crazy state. Lacrosse is really getting popular in some places too.

Just wondering! I think its a little early to say football will go away but it is definitely on people’s minds.

BKB

LJ3
10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
GOOOOOOOO Redskins!!!!

That sounds like a lot of fun for the boy!

quercus alba
10-01-2018, 08:22 PM
I have a good friend that had a football and basketball scholarship and chose Hoops because it was safer. Blew out both knees his freshman season, go figure

DeputyDog
10-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Have friends whose daughter played travel soccer from an early age and played in school. By the time she was a sophomore, she had to quit due to the number and severity of concussions she gotten. We visited them one year for Thanksgiving and she was concussed so bad, she had to spend the holiday in their basement in the dark because she was so sensitive to light. Even the sound of conversation bothered her.

She is in college now but I think the concussions really affected her. She started to struggle socially by the end of high school and also she is attending her second college because she struggled academically as well and she had neither problem prior to the most severe concussion.

Arty
10-02-2018, 07:26 AM
They are fun times for sure. Glad he and you are enjoying it.