PDA

View Full Version : LJ Camera ? for you

Trav
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
What do you think about these new point & shoot / DSLR Hybrids like the Nikon J1 and the Sony NEX.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Considering its a Nikon, the underwater housings are a little north of $500 bucks which put it in the reasonable range. I'm shopping for a new dive camera. This one is in my budget. Anxious to hear what the sensei has to say about it.

BKB

LJ3
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I want one of those N1's real bad! It gets great reviews and I think is a great fit for something between a point & shoot and serious DSLR. I've played around with them a couple times and they are quite capable. I haven't used them in low light, though. That's the real litmus test for me. Any camera works well when there's plenty of light.

Big Skyz
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
BBP, I was trying to read up on the specs of those Nikon J1 camera's and I didn't see anywhere they they are waterproof. Where did you read this? I would like a good underwater camera. I'm a die-hard Canon fan, but the model of camera's that I like requires a waterproof housing that is an additional $300.00 or so. So if this Nikon can do it all, changes lenses, and is a waterproof camera that could be used for diving...I am very interested! Feel free to share anything you know about this camera as like I said I know Canon's but I'm not that familiar with Nikon.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Nikon makes a housing for it for a little over $500. That's what I was referring to. Good to 131 feet they say. Not surewhy the extra foot. Deeper than I'll ever dive.

I think I saw the camera for $350. There are cheaper housings but you'd have to research to make sure they have all thefunctions.
BKB

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-WP-N1-Waterproof-Case-Cameras/dp/B008V181N8

Thumper
01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Good to 131 feet they say. Not surewhy the extra foot.

I would assume it's because 131 feet is right at 40 meters.

Trav
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
LJ, Thanks. I ask because I have about $100.00 worth of certificates to Best Buy that expire soon and I am pretty much up to date on all my home AV needs (3 new TV's, 2 new Blue Ray players and a apple TV in the last year) and I saw a J1 for $329. The J1 has 10.1MP and the Nikon 1 v2 is 14.2MP for an extra $400 is the extra 4.1MP's really worth that for the casual to intermediate shutterbug?

LJ3
01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Mexapixel counts have gotten a little out of hand. They only matter when you want to create large prints or other reasons that only professionals or "pixel peepers" see a difference. One of the few practical applications is if you have an image you really like and want to crop it significantly... then, pixels matter. If you crop a 10mp camera image by 100% (not uncommon) you have the quality of a 5mp camera which is a noticeable difference.