PDA

View Full Version : Opening day weekend.

Arty
11-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Cold.
Very cold.
Hunted Saturday and Sunday,
Through Sunday afternoon neither myself or my son had seen squat.
We made a last minute stand change to a different lease and sat up on corners of a corn field.
Jackson saw a big buck, that’s been seen several times haul ass from one edge of the field to the other. He said by the time he pulled his rifle up, it was gone.

4:30 last night 2 does and 2 yearlings came across the road and into my side of the field. I could see another deer hung up on the edge of the pines on the other side of the road, so I thought it was a buck. Took 5 minutes of scoping to determine it was another doe with another fawn. She never crossed.
I let the 4 come from 180 yards in to about 100, and dropped the biggest doe. She made a last minute turn from broadside, to head on, but I had a solid rest and was comfortable hitting her with her facing me. She dropped in her tracks.
1 fawn stood there, the other doe and fawn took off back to the woods across road.
At that moment, another shot went off in the woods where the were headed, so they did a 180 and came buzzing Back to me. They came to 80 yards (ran right by the Doe I dropped) and then stopped.
Me figuring I had to clean one already, decided it’s just as easy to clean two. So I shot the second doe broadside and she ran about 20 yards and fell to her untimely demise.

I’ve got two tags left, with about 7 weeks of season remaining. I gotta start getting picky now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181119/f3d2ded5a3d6f462d7eb5383bd663cfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
11-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Edit: forgot to add that I am off work today and tomorrow and the plan was to hunt both days.
But I’m currently at home making a big ass pile of jerky, and headed out shortly to get some pork and beef fat to make more summer sausage.

Chicken Dinner
11-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Nice shooting, RT! I’m surprised that .243 pop gun could handle a mature doe. [emoji12]

We had a fairly quiet weekend at our camp. A couple of nice bucks were killed the week before during ML season, but all we saw were, smallish bucks, does, bear and turkey. We’re trying to let the little bucks walk and the others are all out of season in our county. Still, a good time was had by all and I wish I was still there!

quercus alba
11-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Am I missing something? Anybody else see two deer?

Bwana
11-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Well done Arty.

Question CD, can you shoot the bear and if yes, why don't you?

Chicken Dinner
11-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Bear aren’t back in season in that county until 11/26. Otherwise, I would have shot it in a heartbeat. We are covered up in bear (and coyote) this year and it may have had a big impact on fawn mortality this year.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Bear aren’t back in season in that county until 11/26. Otherwise, I would have shot it in a heartbeat. We are covered up in bear (and coyote) this year and it may have had a big impact on fawn mortality this year.

Animal husbandry! (that might be illegal here)