PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Deer Done

Bwana
11-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Opening weekend of deer season I was at my folks' place partaking in our deer hunting traditions even though I only had a bow tag. First afternoon in the stand I had a chance at a doe and fawn but wasn't really ready to end the season so quickly. Thanks to a coyote chasing them off I didn't have much time to test my resolve. Then right towards evening a little buck came in to 17 yards. I pulled back, anchored, made sure everything looked right, and loosed the arrow. That's when things went bad as instead of a silent sendoff of the arrow there was a LOUD exploding sound. I learned two things:
1) just because you have a clear sight picture, know that the arrow sits lower than the sight
2) when buying windows for a deer blind, realize that some work better for shooting a rifle from rather than a bow

Second afternoon another doe comes strutting in a lollygags around a bit too long and I just HAD to see if my new bow would kill deer as well as it had a bear. She only lasted about 10 seconds after the shot and fell within sight.

Fastforward to last weekend. My daughter and I both had whitetail doe tags for an area SW of where we live and Dad drove here in a blizzard on Friday just so he could go hunting with his granddaughter. Long story short, my daughter had her deer by 7:30 AM after having to make a neck shot because the doe was trying to hide behind a tree. (Sorry about the blood but it was 9 below zero so I didn't attempt to wash it off like I should have...my bad)

Her and Grandpa

I left the two of them to field-dress the doe and a half hour later I was able to fill my tag as well. As it lay:

My youngest boy still has a buck tag but given he is a two hour drive from college to my parents place, his college studies, and his job, not sure if he will get another chance to hunt or not. Dad has a gratis tag but he has already talked about possible trying to fill his tag with a muzzleloader when that season opens, so not sure if he will shoot one or not.

Time for me to get the dog out after some pheasants and to start calling coyotes. Hunting season is just TOO short!

Bwana
11-20-2018, 11:47 AM
I KNEW I should have called my sister before posting!

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Ha! Great report and I love the multi-generation family hunting you guys get to do.

I had something similar happen to me when I first bow hunting. I let loose on a doe and my cam hit the shooting rail of my climber. I looked all over for that arrow and never found it. Two years later I was walking down the logging road by where I’d taken that shot and I see what looks like the only green leaf left in the woods about 20’ up in a tree. Sure enough it was the fletching on my arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Wow that is one happy gramps. I know how I feel about my grands and I know just what your Dad was feeling. Neat, man.

How long before you do your big sausage making fest now that you’ve collected up soome government goats? You know Bwana, there’s been some horse trading going on around here for summer sausage and jerky and hot sauce. You need to get in on it!

BKB

Big Skyz
11-20-2018, 01:24 PM
New name for Bwana "Window Maker".

Arty
11-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Two things come to mind,
1) that is super cool with the daughter and gramps. That’s what Hunting is about for me. Friends and family experiencing it together.
2). NINE BELOW ZERO?!?! Have you lost your damn mind!?

Oh and a 3rd.
Serious question, what type of clothing (brand, type, etc) do you wear to stay alive out in that stuff?

Penguin
11-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Two points:

1) Congratulations on a wonderful family hunting season buddy!

2) I'm glad that I am not chief Skinner and butcherer around your house. :)

Will

LJ3
11-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Awesome story!

That, my friend, is too cold of a place to live.

DeputyDog
11-21-2018, 12:24 PM
I think it’s great that the whole family gets the experience of hunting together. Those are memories that will be cherished by all of the generations.

I had a blast with my son this year and the times I spent I the woods with my Dad and Uncle are some of my favorites from growing up.

As far as 9 below, that’s really just getting chilly up your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
11-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Thanks all.

As for the questions:
- Sausage making probably won't happen until after the New Year
- Big Sky; that right there is FUNNY!
- As for clothes, I really couldn't tell you what brand as it is simply a matter of layering according to how you plan to hunt. The only brand I know are my boots: Danner Canadians if I am doing a lot of walking. Cabelas Infernos if more sitting is involved.

Heading back to my parents place tonight where Dad and my youngest boy are trying to fill their tags. Fingers are crossed.

Captain
11-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Good report Bwana.
I see your sister was unavailable for posting.
Congrats on the deers.
Y’all sure are orange out there
Take Care, Captain.