PDA

View Full Version : First deer on my farm

Penguin
11-21-2018, 11:22 AM

We'll it was cold with snow and rain but about noon on the 2nd day this old boy came through. Made it worth it.

He was 131 steps WAY down in a VERY steep hollow. And we had to winch him out with a 4 wheeler because I am too weak in the poop to pull him up. But it was a great hunt that I'll always remember.

Will

Arty
11-21-2018, 11:23 AM
That’s got some mass on it! Nice job.

Penguin
11-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Upside down. Figures. :p

Penguin
11-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks Arty for me it is a really nice score.

I set up on a white oak that is the biggest and oldest tree on the mountain. It was kind of cool wondering how many others have set under that old tree and waited for a deer to show. If they were watching I hoped they enjoyed the show.

Will

quercus alba
11-21-2018, 11:58 AM
You sure you winched him up or had him tied to a tree? That rope looks mighty suspicious

DeputyDog
11-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Congratulations on what hopefully is the first of many!

Nice looking buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
11-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Way to go Pengy!

Have to say I am quite jealous of you getting to hunt your very own property. Extra special cool.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Way to go Chilly Willy! That’s really neat to take him off your place.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2018, 02:01 PM
That’s a cool deal, Will! I hope you find a good spot for those antlers so you can remember the hunt.

Thumper
11-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Of course I’m sure you realize he’d have been a nice one in a year or two and even though you’re not in the pic, I’m sure your camo doesn’t match! 😉

Ok, with that all out of the way, good deal. Your first on the property will always be a memory and a story to go with the mount. Congrats! 👍

Penguin
11-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys, it is much appreciated.

I was lucky. Don't mind admitting it. Sometimes you just guess right and things go right.

I figured the bucks hadn't gone anywhere they just didn't show in the fields during the day. Unless a doe was hot. So at the corner of the garden bordering the woods is a place that the bucks could look things over without showing themselves. I figured maybe I could catch one checking things over. There was a lot of sign there.

So I sat up there in the 2nd day and this one showed up. I don't mind admitting luck was involved. That just makes it more fun.

Will

DeputyDog
11-21-2018, 06:03 PM
That’s not luck. That’s knowing the area you hunt in and knowing a thing or two about deer behavior.

Thumper
11-21-2018, 06:33 PM
:iagree

My buddy (Lynn's uncle actually, but we do nothing but talk about hunting when we're together) goes to Arizona every year for a mule deer hunt. He takes his motor home and his two sons (Lynn's cousins, they're grown) and they park out in the desert where they set up camp. It's been a family tradition for years. A few years back, they'd all been out a few days and never saw a deer. On the way back to camp, my buddy twisted his ankle and knew he was probably in trouble. The next day, it was so swollen he couldn't get his boot on. He told the boys to head on out that morning and he would stay in camp to nurse his ankle.

The boys packed their lunch and headed out for the day. My buddy stayed off his feet for about an hour, then decided to step outside to clean up some dishes from the night before. As soon as he got to the door, he spotted a big mule deer buck walking by the camp at about 30-40 yards! He grabbed his rifle which was setting next to the door, cracked the door open and nailed the buck! When the boys got back to camp that evening, he had it gutted, skinned out and hanging to cool. He said he didn't even realize until he'd finished, how much his ankle was bothering him. To make matters worse, that was one of the very few years both the boys got skunked!

Now THAT sir, is LUCK! ;)

Trav
11-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Congratulations nice deer and especially cool coming from your own place.

airbud7
11-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Good Ern right there!

Penguin
11-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Jim that kind of thing could cause hard feelings! :)

I've got friends who are amazing tacticians in the woods. I can read mountain deer ok but these farm deer have me a bit discombobulated. They're different. I'm just grateful I didn't have to drop a doe for my first one here lol.

As for camo? Don't wear it. I went thru a slew of stuff and kept what I liked... Whipcord pants, softshell parka, Kromer hat, and my 22 year old Irish Setters from my 1st real job, it's a grab bag. But no camo. So there. :p

Will

Captain
11-22-2018, 09:10 PM
That’s a very nice see! Congrats
It’s bigger than anything I’ve seen out of the stand this year.
Hogs have ruined our hunt club.