PDA

View Full Version : Send back to Remington, or take to a gunsmith?

Arty
01-26-2013, 09:42 AM
I've got a Remington 597 (.22 semi auto) rifle that will not fire about half the time.

It may shoot twice, then 'click'. SOMETIMES if I manually feed another load in, it'll fire.

It ain't the ammo - when it does this, the firing pin isn't even hitting the ammo.

SO - you think i'd be cheaper/quicker to send to Remington (it's out of warranty, i've had it for 10 years), or take it to a gunsmith (I don't know anyone local, but could find someone).

jb
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Are you able to take it apart?
On 22's sometime the bolt, firing pin get pretty gunked up with the blow back. If you can take out the bolt and soak it a few days in parts cleaner, or gun scrub then toothbrush it clean, soak it again, it just might free up the firing pin.
If you send it back to Remington, it could be gone a few months.

Big Muddy
01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Arty, here's a gun-discussion site, which I ocassionally visit....looks like these guys have the same problems with their 597's, and have solved most of them with a little ingenuity:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484086

HideHunter
01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Sure doesn't sound like any problem I'd consider sending to the factory. I'm betting jb is right. In fact, if you happen to be shooting Remington ammo I'd almost guarantee it. It is notoriously dirty. A complete strip down and cleaning is not a huge project. Disclaimer: 597 is one I've never "personally" had a part. ;)

If you're interested - here - read 'til your eyes bleed. ;)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Arty
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I guess I can try a deep cleaning first, but I've cleaned it several times since this began and that hasn't helped.
I have NOT soaked it several days, maybe I will give that a try

HideHunter
01-27-2013, 11:07 AM
If you strip the bolt down to the firing pin - "long-soaking" shouldn't be neccessary. I doubt the chamber is real tight but you might try scrubbing it out also (I mean a good scrubbing with a brush - chamber - not necessarily the whole barrel). Possible the shell isn't seating completely. Actually, there are so many things that can contribute to light strikes you just have to start down the list.

Back to your original question. I'd probably just take it to a gunsmith if the cleaning doesn't work.

good luck.