PDA

View Full Version : Championship Week

quercus alba
11-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Not a ton of games to pick from this week, there are some key matchups we need to look at

1) Texas vs Oklahoma As far as I'm concerned, this is THE game this weekend. Texas manhandled the Sooner defense last time around. I look to see some different formations for the Sooner defense as well as some run blitzes. If they can't get pressure on the QB then it could be a long afternoon for the boys from Norman. Texas will get a few stops so Oklahoma really needs to get some too even if they have to sell out to get them. Death by a thousand cuts or quick death is still death.

Prediction: The Sooners will shoot for the moon and try apply pressure without getting burned. Texas will try the same formula as the last time but with less success. I think the Horns fall by 3-7 points. I'd still send in a 3rd string fullback to spear the qb just to be on the safe side

2) Memphis vs UCF Memphis almost got them the last time before their qb went down. The Knights aren't a one trick pony, they'll scratch and claw but Mike Norvells team is a formidable opponent. It would be a shame for the streak to end this way........... It won't, the Knights win one for the Gipper, shades of Loyola Marymount when Hank Gathers died and Bo Kimble put the team on his back. UCF by 10

3) Bama vs Jawja I haven't really seen enough of the Bulldogs this year to get a good read on them. One week they look like Superman then the next week mere mortals, although lately they seem to have been more consistent. Bama is like a runaway train. When everything is clicking they steamroll everybody. when they're off they only win by 25 or so. I expect a hard fought game but I think Bama has too many playmakers and too much speed on the outside. I could see a close game with bama pulling away late......maybe 38-21 or so. If Georgia wins then both go to the playoffs, they lose and it's Sugar Bowl city

4) Northwestern vs OSU Easy peasy, Ohio st wins by 40+ and vaults over Georgia and the Sooners only to get crushed by Bama or Clempson. the talking heads crown Dan Haskins as the next Johnny Unitas. Or better

5) Clempson vs Pittsburg Panthers score 24 on the vaunted Tiger defense..................and still lose by 30. these last two games are all the more reason to get rid of conference championship games but there's waaaaaaay to much money to be made for that to happen

BarryBobPosthole
11-30-2018, 09:20 AM
As far as Texas-OU, I agree it will come down to who can get the most stops. One thing that McNeil (OU DC) has done in the past couple of games is to get out of that damned soft zone and challenge the offense to beat you. After Texas, we went into ‘prevent’ mode, played soft on the corners, and tried to force the opponents to play perfectly to finish a drive. Its what we’ve almost always done against air-attack offenses like Texas Tech and been successful. We don’t have the players for it this year. We still get beat over the top. So yes, we have been running more run blitzes the past few games and we haveseen the weakest part of our D, Safety, get better. And we are playing a lot more 3-4 Oklahoma defense to make the game simpler for the linebackers and DE’s. There is no just excuse for letting a mediocre passer like Texas has to beat you with his arm, which is what we did last time playing that cover -2 bullshit. I look for a (more) solid resultfrom the D. And I expect the offense to hang a half a hundred on them and ifthey can can outscore us, sobeit. OU 57 Texas 34 is my prediction.

And let me add that you’ve once again made the college football season more fun, QA. You’re an insightful fellow. Thanks!

BkB

airbud7
11-30-2018, 09:28 AM
Hey...something tells me you're 100% correct on every prediction...give or take a few points.

I need a good bookie!...:D

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2018, 10:18 AM
I want to double down on Barry’s comment, QA. You’ve made the site and the season more interesting and I thank you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
11-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Tpost, I've looked at the playoffs, and I've really tried to figure out every possible way for the Sooners to get in.....looks like it's gonna take some real upsets, this weekend, or an act of God.....my wife was born in Ponca City, so we have a connection to you folks. ;)

quercus alba
11-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Aw shucks (scuffs toe on ground) thanks guys. Sometimes I wish I could have gone into journalism. I might have been a cross between Grantland Rice and Pat McManus