PDA

View Full Version : Okay, guys, I need some advice.......

Big Muddy
12-09-2018, 05:46 PM
About a month ago, while hunting with Sandy, I noticed she was not hunting any further away from me, than about 50 yards, instead of her normal 250 to 300 yards, and she would return to me constantly, as if getting her bearings.....also, she has reduced her hunting gait from a good run to just a steady walk.
I took her to my vet, and he said she has the onset of cataracts, and simply can't see her surroundings, only blurred images.....she can only find her feed bowl by smell, and she's getting worse.....as is, her hunting days are finished.
Do I try the cataract surgery, or just let her live out the rest of her life in the dark.....I'm leaning toward surgery on only one eye, for now, if it is totally successful, and only if she has no other underlying physical problems.
Sandy is only a little over 10 years old, so she's got a few good years remaining, except for the cataracts.
What ya'll think???

Trav
12-09-2018, 05:52 PM
My neighbor had a miniature schnauzer that had cataracts and they did the surgery on it and it’s been great for them.

Big Muddy
12-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Trav, both eyes or only one???

airbud7
12-09-2018, 06:58 PM
dog cataract surgery success rate is approximately 90%. Most dogs regain near normal vision, although many remain slightly far sighted. Most pets’ vision continues to improve over the week following surgery.

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-cataract-surgery-cost/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyfpO944dFA

Trav
12-09-2018, 10:25 PM
I am pretty sure it was both eyes, it cost them close to $10k

quercus alba
12-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Dogs are the best people you'll ever be around and worth any price. If I have have to drive down to Mississippi because you let her go blind, I'll boot you so hard you'll be digging your fingers out of your butt crack every time you scratch your head.

Big Muddy
12-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Wow, I guess Sandy is getting a good deal.....$3500 for both eyes or $1750 for one.....pretty sure I'm gonna just do one for now, to see how Sandy responds to it.....if the results are dramatic, then I'll start selling some more blood. ;)

QA, thanks, for the support.....you're definitely helping me make the right decision. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-09-2018, 11:53 PM
If she’s going blind without the surgery, I’d just have them both done now. It seems like a failed surgery is the same thing as doing nothing. So, why out her through it twice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
12-10-2018, 01:58 AM
CD, the surgery itself is not traumatic to the dog, at all.....the owner, however, is the one who has to do all the tough stuff, afterwards.....6 weeks of keeping her still and inactive, while she wears one of those Elizabethan collars, daily meds and eye drops, etc. is gonna be h3ll, but I'll do it for her.

BarryBobPosthole
12-10-2018, 08:54 AM
If it were me I’d do both eyes, no question. And she’ll likely have a lot of hunting days left afterward too, Muddy.
Best of luck to the both of you.
BKb

Arty
12-10-2018, 04:53 PM
I’m just shocked you said she was 10 years old. I remember when you got that pup!

Bwana
12-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Glad you are getting another chance with her.

My Dixie Dog only made it a few months past 10 years old...sure do miss her.